The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Coronavirus and TSGA Jamboree
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 1:15 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
this is a really interesting article. It has a chart showing the increase each day in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

The problem is the chart is probably more a reflection of how many people we are testing versus how many people are infected, which we have no idea.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 1:31 pm    

Quote:
ois Governor is now considering going on lockdown of all bars and restaurants.

I guess it will vary state by state as it does province by province up here. Here in Quebec things are changing by the hour. Just heard on the radio that all non-essential businesses must close by tomorrow. All schools and universities were already shut down. All bars, health clubs, social clubs etc will stay closed until further notice. Restaurants can remain open for now but the seating capacities have been halved and there can only be every second table or booth occupied.
I must say that so far I find our provincial government very pro-active and making every effort to slow the spread of the virus. Hope like hell it works.
On the federal level anyone on holidays outside the country is being warned to get back home as quickly as possible while it is still possible. All incoming flights may be canceled shortly. I have relatives rushing back from San Francisco tonight and they will be expected to self-isolate and self-monitor for 14 days. I'm sure they will be screened at the airport on arrival as well.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 1:51 pm    

Larry unfortunately this Virus doesn’t care how macho you are.

The purpose of staying home and social distancing is to flatten the spike that will occur and overwhelm our ability to treat those who are infected.

We are a few weeks behind Italy were the daily death rate is nearly 400 and rising. Italians have had to stop treating those over 60.

Your attitude will literally kill people

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 1:52 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Lot of cry babies on here,

The majority of people on here are trying to have an adult conversation about a very serious crisis; based on common sense, science, and the overwhelming consensus of public health officials.

If your only response is on this kind of 4th grade level, you only make yourself look small.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 1:54 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Lot of cry babies on here, you got three options as I see it:
1) Go live in an oxygen bubble and pretend your safe as houses
2) Roll out the meat wagons and condemn everyone you know or meet a threat
3) Cowboy up and get a hold of yourselves.
You choose!

Was going to try to reply with a joke but it's distasteful. 368 less people to be crybabies in Italy from yesterday.

https://www.axios.com/italy-new-coronavirus-deaths-0150a1c9-d74a-4dd8-9e22-3c716c1690ce.html

John Herb

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 2:02 pm    

Without putting much into this thread I'll just say this. You all stay safe no matter if you believe in the danger of this or not.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 2:14 pm    

Going forward, I hope that we get past this situation as safely as possible and if all is well by next year, I imagine that the 2021 show will be a ramped up show with everybody chomping at the bit to attend......I look forward to that......

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 3:28 pm    

The show ended today. Some people wanted to shake hands, others wanted to bump elbows. It was a great show and yes attendance was down but not like I expected.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 3:39 pm    

Paul McEvoy wrote:

But yeah I chose to go. I was afraid that the things that I wanted to do would be cancelled, but also prepared that that would be the appropriate thing.

I am also relatively poor and had spent a lot of money on the trip already so I guess there's that.

Anyway, long answer to your question. I'm glad I went on the trip, I don't think I really harmed anyone or myself, but in retrospect it seems a bit insane.

That's probably how those who went to the TSGA felt. As the illness gets more and more serious, at SOME point each of us might get scared by it and may change our life style. Some people did so early on, others like yourself a bit later, and some others have yet to reach that stage. It seems unthinkable to some that everyone else does not share their own degree of urgency.

If it's as bad as the worst fears of some, we're ALL going to get it anyway. If it's at the other end of the spectrum, relatively few will suffer serious effects. Most likely it will wind up somewhere in between.

What's the annual highway death toll - 40,000+? Do we avoid riding in cars or walking near a street? Do we make all autos incapable of a speed over 10 mph? Of course not.
It's very possible that I will be in a crash, and it's very possible I will get the virus.

Throwing stones at those who are reaching a different conclusion than ourself is pointless. We all hope for the best for each other. This has us all on edge but it will run its course no matter what we do or don't do. A positive attitude is not a cure-all but it can't hurt. Everybody stay safe in whatever way you choose, I'm hoping every one of us comes through unharmed!

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 3:56 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:

What's the annual highway death toll - 40,000+? Do we avoid riding in cars or walking near a street? Do we make all autos incapable of a speed over 10 mph? Of course not.

Don,

Of course that's true... but the important BIG difference here is that the infection and death rates have basically DOUBLED in many places since this thread started. And whether that continues is VERY MUCH INFLUENCED by the choices we ALL make RIGHT NOW. We are in this together and innocent people will likely die avoidable deaths in every part of OUR country because so many choose to deny the seriousness of this.

With all due respect, that is NOTHING like the choices we each make every day to do (or not do) things that might have danger involved.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 4:21 pm    

.delete

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 15 Mar 2020 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 4:37 pm    

Tonight the Governor here in Massachusetts ordered all schools, public and private, to close for 3 weeks. All bars and restaurants closed until April 6, except for take-out. No gatherings of more than 25 people, except at grocery stores and pharmacies. There are currently 164 cases in this state.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 4:39 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:

Edit: latest world wide numbers

Current known cases: 737,382

Current deaths: 898,546

Recovered: 76,622

Please use reputable websites, those numbers are crazy.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200315-sitrep-55-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=33daa5cb_6

As of 10am CET this morning:

Globally 153,517 confirmed (10982new)
5735 deaths (343 new)

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:04 pm    

Looks like it was a temporary glitch. Their numbers are more realistic

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 15 Mar 2020 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:09 pm    

What some people are missing in all of this is that the actions we take now to isolate ourselves and self distance from others have the goal and effect of spreading the epidemic over time and flattening the curve so the peak numbers of critically ill people will not exceed the hospital capacity to treat them. Because when that happens the death rate is not only from Coronavirus but also includes people who could not get ICU beds or could not get a ventilator or other critically needed care for even other diseases like COPD or others. So the mortality rate statistic will go up dramatically when it includes deaths indirectly due to Coronavirus and it is a shame, and indeed shameful, if we do not take the actions that we can take now to save those lives.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:23 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
What some people are missing in all of this is that the actions we take now to isolate ourselves and self distance from others have the goal and effect of spreading the epidemic over time and flattening the curve so the peak numbers of critically ill people will not exceed the hospital capacity to treat them. Because when that happens the death rate is not only from Coronavirus but also includes people who could not get ICU beds or could not get a ventilator or other critically needed care for even other diseases like COPD or others. So the mortality rate statistic will go up dramatically when it includes deaths indirectly due to Coronavirus and it is a shame, and indeed shameful, if we do not take the actions that we can take now to save those lives.

Thank you Jim! It's not a very lethal disease, it's just especially contagious.

Also, with regard to closing down public spaces and self-isolating, it's the feeling of it being unnatural and disorienting that throws people off... but it doesn't have to. Up here in the northern part of the US, we can compare it to a really heavy snowstorm. Most things shut down for a couple days and people are heavily encouraged to avoid the roads until the plows catch up. Also, people often die on the roads too as a result of snowstorms, so that is similar as well. It's a tragedy, but people don't drive themselves crazy about it.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:43 pm    

It's all moot now, but don't treat this virus as if you are afraid to catch it; treat it as if you are afraid to pass it on to anyone else.
Peace.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:49 pm    

Governor of Ohio just shut down all bars and restaurants at 9pm tonight, restaurants can serve carryout or deliverys. No seating in any establishment at all! Getting kind of uneasy around here right now!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 5:54 pm    

The good news is that the new cases in China are down to about 15. That means there is light at the end of the tunnel

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 6:01 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
The good news is that the new cases in China are down to about 15. That means there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bill, got a reference we can read on that?

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 6:15 pm    

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 6:26 pm    

Jim, despite there being a weird glitch earlier, this site seems very accurate. You can sort by number of new cases etc. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Scroll down

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 7:26 pm    

Oh brother! This reminds me of the red scare in the 50s.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 7:27 pm    

Mayor De Blasio just shut down New York . All bars and restaurants are take out only. All clubs, movie theaters, concert venues all closed

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 7:37 pm    

It is an addictive thread, I can’t help checking back even when I say not to...I know it is a serious concern for sure and I’m not trying to promote a careless wreckless attitude with my comments, but with all the negativity and hype and empty shelves and panic etc etc, sorry but it makes me want to scream Hold up, Calm down...I know that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way but it’s how I’m wired. Wise cracks and banter aside, I sincerely wish good health to all.