The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If You Want To Raise 1&2 on the E9 neck
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 11:42 am    

And do not have a knee lever that will do that, slide up 2 frets and lower 2 a half tone. You can also strike 3&4 slide back 2 frets with E-F and slide back up to the starting position. I just saved you $250 for the cost of adding that lever, you can thank later.

If you want to lower sting 5 a half tone slide back one fret and add E-F lever and pedal 2. I just saved you another $250. 👍

Phone: 971-219-8533

Last edited by Larry Behm on 11 Mar 2020 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 12:57 pm    

I've been using this for awhile and ran into it after watching Lloyd Green do similar stuff by lowering the 2nd string and using the 3rd pedal on E9th.

1st string whole tone raise substitute: I tabbed this out a few months ago, see second set of lines on this tab:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab1256.pdf

Hear it:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab1256.mp3

Another idea for this on this page:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab24.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 2:04 pm    

I don't like the "whiny" sound of raising 1&2. Especially, when I can get the same two notes (with a fatter/fuller sound) by going up 7 frets, picking 5&6, and mashing A&B. Cool

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 3:04 pm    

There are many alternates. Depends on what you want. I use the 1&2 changes for licks.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 8:40 pm    

I have it on the LVK. Its such a smooth effortless change. I have to resist the temptation to use it every song. I love releasing the lever and listening to the two chromatic strings return to open, while my fingers position themselves on other strings. That little bend in the notes is so soulful, and lonesome sounding.
I mostly continue for a couple of notes with cascade style downward runs in simple scales with fifths. It can still send chills up my spine if I do it right.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 11:50 pm    

[quote="Larry Behm"]And do not have a knee lever that will do that, slide up 2 frets and lower 2 a half tone.

It doesn't sound so good if you're a player, like me, who slides up almost 2 frets and can't hit the 2nd string half-tone drop accurately even if his life depended on it Shocked

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2020 6:51 am    

Richard put your wallet in your left rear pocket, might be all you need to get you that extra 1/64 of an inch.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2020 9:29 am    

That's about how thick mine is after hanging around here for years ...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 2:32 am    

Larry its a good topic. There are countless things we can do to COUNTER other things. Even if we have the levers or pulls, sometimes doing it another way just adds a different flavor.

Reminding players to MOVE the bar and counter the move with a lever is a very good thing.

My Push Pull does not have 2 UP , my Legrande II does. I only practice on the P Pull so I find myself doing things based on NOT having 2 up on the Legrande which is the gig guitar !

One of the common phrases I have come to play without 2UP is to move the bar up 1 fret and grab the 4 lower for the unison note along with the 2nd string to begin the phrasing for "He Stopped Loving her" Just one of many redundant positions we have, but we have to think about it first . And move the bar.

Years back I was sitting with my friend John Fabian ( RIP ) we were talking about 5th string drop phrases and I was showing him some things which I found difficult with 5+8. Without even taking an extra breath he says..why don't you move the bar for the 5th string drop or raise . forget the lever. You have 8 raise, natural and lower to work with. Uhmmm....well, to this day I no longer have 5 drop on any Steel and probably half of what I do is played on 5 and 8. Genius John is what I called him !

ok back to the 2nd string, that 2nd string has so much power... Why do we even need the other 9 Laughing

Great topic !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 11:55 am    

Love this topic, as I've also recently been finding ways to get some of the changes by simply moving the bar and engaging the appropriate pedal or lever.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 5:24 pm    

When I get good, I will know what all these half pedal sounds do theoretically. But for now , I do the half pedal thing by accident! (especially when wearing the wrong shoes!)
K

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 5:41 pm    

I use 1+2 for creating licks also. I use my RKL to raise them.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2020 5:50 am    

You can see how Lloyd Green does it @ 1:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQ7CMJypPg

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 11:51 am    

Jerry, Lloyd sure can get around with fewer knee levers than most.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 3:44 pm    

At 1:34 Lloyd was raising the 2nd string 1/2 tone and he used that a lot this year in Dallas, often as a unison note with the 4th string. It works but I prefer raising the 2 string with a pedal as slanting the bar does create a slight sitar sound on the strings. The longer you sustain these notes, the more noticeable the bar buzz becomes.

Also if you raise the second string a half tone with a pedal/knee and hold it there you can lower the 8th string to Eb while retaining an E note on top an octave higher. This perfectly emulates Lloyd’s copedant which lowers only the 8th string on a knee lever!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger