The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Road Case wheels - anybody tried these?
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 9:03 am    

I have put them on the changer end because that seemed natural to me. Had not thought that much about it.

I am going to put some on mine (finally) this week and that will be the way mine will be.

changer end down with wheels (that is how I have always transported it on a 2 wheeler since I have had a pedal steel

I will listen to ideas and good reasons

Joe
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 9:10 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Worth noting -- standing, Stu's case felt a bit tippy with the wheels. A careless hip check would be a drag. Don't know if the weight of a steel in it would make it ok -- the steel is not here so I couldn't say.
So I put bumper/feet on it. Much better.

Ya know, black bumper/feet sound a lot better...

Razz

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 10:18 am    

Is there a link to the wheel set Randy Beavers uses...or did I miss it?
I like the idea of the longer support arm.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 10:19 am    

White bumpers before Memorial Day ... I knew I was bucking some pretty powerful trends there. I'm a rebel.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 10:31 am    

can't speak for Randy, but there are some sources in this old post.
Jerry Overstreet wrote:
https://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/Flight-Case-Castors/c-323.aspx

A little hard to navigate, but there are a few models of outrigger [W8675] and also flush mount [A5250] wheels for cases.

They also offer handles on there somewhere too. Just look for handles in the drop down.

Also poke around here L-2498 appears to be a suitable model for a steel case. https://hardwareelf.com/luggage-wheels

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 3:48 pm    

Thanks Jerry...great sources for hardware!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 4:37 pm    

You're welcome Tom. I buy most of my case and cabinet hardware from www.parts-express.com as they have the best prices and service but they don't carry these type of wheels. They do have some recessed ones that are nice but can't use those on a steel guitar case.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2020 7:34 pm    

I’ve had mine for awhile now and I know this is where I got them. I think this is the ones I got. https://hardwareelf.com/L-3719/Ball+Bearing+Wheel+Assembly+ https://hardwareelf.com/product-images/L-3719.jpg?maxwidth=450&maxheight=450

I have no idea why they show a hinge in that first photo. The second one shows the wheel though.

Scott McCumber

New Braunfels, TX
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 6:44 am     Penn Elcom Parts

If you order from Penn Elcom don’t do the online store it is much more expensive. Call directly and you get a much better price.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 7:05 am    

Thanks for the tip Scott. Good to know.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 12:17 pm    

For those of you who add casters to your cases, are you cases padded inside?

I have a Zum Encore and the provided road case is plenty protective for hauling around, but it isn't particularly padded, being basically a wood case with the same thin carpet on the inside and out.

I'm concerned with the bumps and bounces associated with rolling this down the sidewalk, etc.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 12:45 pm     cases

Most are not padded. Mine is not and many times if there is room on the end I have seen people simply put the hand towel in the bottom and then use it to wipe their hands.

Has not been a problem for me
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 8:17 am    

I received two of those Penn Elcom corner caters yesterday. https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Penn-Elcom-75mm295-Universally-Sided-Out-Rigger-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Castor-W8375/m-9041.aspx

From the website pictures you can't tell that they will not sit flush with your case unless you rout or cut the case corners to allow room for the caster axle.

Just an FYI. These casters are really overkill as they are rated 330lb/caster. They do look nice, however. Not sure if I will return them or hack at my case a bit. You would need to remove about an inch square and 3/8 deep of the corners. You can also see it won't fit flush on the circular arch as there is a flange (for lack of a better word) there

[/img]

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 8:25 am    

Hi Gents,
I have been installing these like in the picture by removing the chrome corner piece and wood chisel a small place for the indention to fit. If you ever take them off, the corner piece will cover up the work.
They are absolutely THE best hands down. Anything with wheels is the best!
Good Luck,

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 9:34 am     agree

I have installed these as well. Roy is correct. Anytime you make a change there is usually something else you have not seen.

Since I have many changes or additions to steelseats I can tell you there is some unforeseen opportunity.

These are the best wheels but the smaller ones take less routing. By the way I use Reliable Hardware, No. Hollywood, CA Gene has a great deal is experience with other companies and will explain those type of things before you order. Others do not do that and many on their order desk have no idea what it takes.

This is why I stick with RELIABLE HARDWARE. They have a great web site and if you do not have they can get it and it normally is the same price or less. Also if you have not done modifications call someone and save yourself a lot of grief. I have received at least 2 sets of these that would not work on a specific case and had to trade out to the smaller wheels.

Joe

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 10:30 am    

Roy Carroll wrote:
Hi Gents,
I have been installing these like in the picture by removing the chrome corner piece and wood chisel a small place for the indention to fit. If you ever take them off, the corner piece will cover up the work.
They are absolutely THE best hands down. Anything with wheels is the best!
Good Luck,

Thanks Roy and Gene, I wasn't sure quite how to approach it. Smile

Gaylen James

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 10:42 am     Best wheels

OK, you guys are all close but I found the best ones.
These babies stay inside the plane of the case and are metal. Win and Win

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 12:30 pm    

Alex I did the same as Roy I didn't expect the inside to be an issue.. I used a piece of 1/2" or 3/8" plywood to fill the gap. Works fine.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 5:13 am    

Alex Stewart wrote:
I received two of those Penn Elcom corner caters yesterday. https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Penn-Elcom-75mm295-Universally-Sided-Out-Rigger-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Castor-W8375/m-9041.aspx

From the website pictures you can't tell that they will not sit flush with your case unless you rout or cut the case corners to allow room for the caster axle.

The ones I showed earlier DO fit flush with the case. Like I said, they're more expensive.

https://www.rosebrand.com/product3618/3-Exterior-Mount-Corner-Caster.aspx?cid=211&idx=1&tid=1&info=Casters

--Al Evans

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 6:26 pm    

industrial velcro, that was an aha moment.

This thread features lots of mods, dollies/handtrucks and other wheeled things, what do you call them .. conveyances?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352644

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 6:46 pm    

Al Evans wrote:
Alex Stewart wrote:

The ones I showed earlier DO fit flush with the case. Like I said, they're more expensive.

https://www.rosebrand.com/product3618/3-Exterior-Mount-Corner-Caster.aspx?cid=211&idx=1&tid=1&info=Casters

--Al Evans

Sorry about your issue Alex. That's my bad for quoting a source for a product I have no experience with.

That's why posts like Al Evans' are important...it's from an actual user. Good luck with it though.

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2020 1:27 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Sorry about your issue Alex. That's my bad for quoting a source for a product I have no experience with.

That's why posts like Al Evans' are important...it's from an actual user. Good luck with it though.

No problem, Jerry. They are very nice wheels and are going to work out just fine!

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 6:26 am    

Just done my Mullen case as per.
I had to cut some of the covering off the case on bottom side to expose the wood and glue this side of castor with Gorilla glue as the wood here is only 1/4 inch thick.I put some small screws in to finish it off.The uprightside was screwed with 5/8 wood screws as the wood is thick here.Note the bumpers and handle on opposite side.Tested and is sound and all ok.SO much easier.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 4:32 pm    

I went for the convertible cart method.. one trip in and out

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2020 11:23 am    

I just got these From Penn. I’ve got about $10 plus shipping in this project. I like this setup a lot. These are the 55 lb variety. They seem to work quite well.

[/url]