The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Road Case wheels - anybody tried these?
Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 2:37 pm    

These little castors look like they would work on a steel case. Roughly 2" - claimed 55lbs load - plastic

Anyone tried them -- very inexpensive.

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Penn-Elcom-50mm--2-Fixed-Castor-A5250/m-9129.aspx

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 3:52 pm     Casewheels

I HAD SOME ON A COUPLE CASES AND THEY WORKED GREAT. WHEN I TRIED TO GET SOME MORE FROM WHERE I HAD PURCHASED THEM BEFORE THEY TOLD ME THEY WEREN'T BEING MADE ANYMORE. BELIEVE I'LL TRY SOME....THANKS FOR THE POST....CLARK

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 4:03 pm    

I had a set on my SD10 I got them from Fred Justice he installed them @ Baxter Springs they worked very well my guitar weighed 60 lbs. in case. Wes

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 1:18 am    

Awesome!.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 5:32 am    

I used them for years until I found these.
https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Penn-Elcom-75mm295-Universally-Sided-Out-Rigger-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Castor-W8375/m-9041.aspx
Way better solution.

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 9:16 am     Road Case wheels -

Thanks Roy...these do look a lot more stout. Any chance you could post a photo of them on your case so I could understand how they're installed?

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 9:19 am     Road Case Wheels

BTW - I started to order a set of the smaller wheels and a surface mounted spring loaded handle - until I got to the Shipping - shipping was almost half the cost of the hardware itself.

...going to keep looking a bit more...

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 12:28 pm    

These have made my life easier especially fly dates. I use the industrial Velcro to attach them. Up or over curbs and such. I’ve never had one come off. When checking it at the airport I twist them off and put them in my carry on.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 2:54 pm    

Is this 10# grade tough enough for attaching and removing the wheels to case Randy? Is this what players use on stomp boxes? Thanks.

clickhere

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 2:55 pm    

Now thats a clever idea Randy .... I've had two sets of wheels ripped off my SKB flying case by airport Gorilla's... might have to try your idea out!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 3:13 pm    

Hey Jerry, yes that’s the one. I got a roll of it and it was the right width. The way the case sits in that 90 degree angle it would be next to impossible to get it off while you’re rolling it. When I first put it on I pulled my case with guitar in it to the mailbox and back which is about 100 yards or so. It’s also gravel. 🤠 I figured if it didn’t come off there I was good to go. I put a spring retractable handle on the other end.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 3:53 pm    

Thanks Randy. I've had a pair of these type wheels for a while but didn't want to rivet them on the case. This seems like a great solution for me. And I can pull them off when I get there. Terrific!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 7:02 pm    

Great idea Randy, along with Paddy I’ve had plenty of airport gorillas go to work on gear. It really sucks when you watch papa bear throw it like a rag doll, and your in the seat cringing! Lol

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 6:12 am    

I'm not Roy, but these look the same, only black. And cost a good deal more, because I got them from a New York theatrical supply house.

--Al Evans

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 7:09 pm    

Randy Beavers wrote:
These have made my life easier especially fly dates. I use the industrial Velcro to attach them. Up or over curbs and such. I’ve never had one come off. When checking it at the airport I twist them off and put them in my carry on.

Randy, can you post a link to these wheels? Thanks...

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2020 1:29 am    

Michael,My wheels showed up yesterday,They look pretty awesome,I realized that I will also need to add another handle on the opposite end so I ordered one ,Next week I'm taking my Desert Rose case to Jon Light's and he will make it all work,I'm more of a breaker.Thanks for the link.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2020 4:14 pm    

Jon Light installed those wheels, and a handle...looks great!!

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2020 9:12 am     Road Case Wheels - Update

Less elegant than the 'corner' wheels but they work fine.

Less than $20 on Amazon - delivered free.

The wheels are food service cart soft rubber - $4.38 ea

The spring loaded handle -$7.99

Took 10 minutes to install with 1/2" screws.

Thanks for all the comments
(Dang phone photos are upside down)

Wheels -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PX91HGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Handle --
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081C7B9WB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 8:48 am    

Hi all
Just ordered some of these black plastic corner castors
They are made here in UK.However as you say delivery charge is extortionate.They will be here tomorrow Tuesday.I also ordered a spring handle too.
I will be permanently mounting them on my Mullen case.
What size screws would you need for the wood ... especially the bottom .
Regards Dave

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 11:09 am     Yes they work

I have installed several like Randy Beaver shows. I buy them from Reliable Hardware, No. Hollywood, CA. They give great service.

Steel guitar cases, amps, and other things.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 11:44 am    

Worth noting -- standing, Stu's case felt a bit tippy with the wheels. A careless hip check would be a drag. Don't know if the weight of a steel in it would make it ok -- the steel is not here so I couldn't say.
So I put bumper/feet on it. Much better.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 12:31 pm    

Jon, which end of the guitar is on the wheels? Changer or keyhead end? I find the changer end is heavier.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 12:40 pm    

Yep--changer end down. It might be stable with the weight of a guitar in there but without, it leans, pretty close to the tipping point. I would not be at all comfortable wheeling in, leaving it standing and walking away, waiting for a bar patron to brush against it as he heads to the can. The bumpers make the difference. Same as Al Evans displays above.
Even without the wheels, I don't leaving a case standing up in the middle of a room but this is just a matter of making it more stable.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 12:44 pm    

I thought folks interested in doing this might want to know which end is best for the wheels. Thanks for the heads up concerning the bumpers also.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 12:50 pm    

Not being positive which end was best (although wheels on the changer end just....feels right....), I was fortunate to have the wheeled, handled case that Bill Rudolph shipped my new Williams in and that answered my question. Handle at the headstock, wheels at the changer.