The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pedal steel in chicago 60's & 70's
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 7:30 am    

i got to see alot o steel players back in the 70's
first guy i saw was jim Shepard 2nd T.C furlong. i learned a alot from theses guy's wow how time fly's Very Happy
enjoy: https://books.google.com/books?id=E2D1kNHag9wC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=lake%27n+park+inn&source=bl&ots=b64W2pJU8E&sig=Syu3W1iW7d6jI_ARVINzgqPInGg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nH1qT-2OPMTkggeq5-C5Bg#v=onepage&q=lake'n%20park%20inn&f=false

p.w

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 10:40 am    

Paul, I saw you playing guitar before I started playing steel. Jim Shepard was the player that I "borrowed" my vibrato from. He was so smooth on a country ballad. I played twin steels with Jim most every Sunday night for almost two years. If we only knew then what we know now. Smile

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 7:07 am     pedal steel in chicago 60's & 70's

ha Tommy that was a long time ago Very Happy yes i remember seeing you and Jim on stage i still play guitar but, the old hands aren't what they use to be Confused but still learning P.S.G. take care my friend...

p.w

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 6:00 am     "good ole days"..yes!

Hey T.C. and Paul. Sounds like the Northern Illinois lonely steel guitar hearts club band,haha. Yes, definitely lots of good times up there back then. Always a lot of work. Jim Shepard was a jewel and I enjoyed "subbing" for him at Country Music Inn. I really enjoyed and appreciated my early steel guitar experiences. Working in Nashville later on was rewarding in its own way but as you work your way "up the ladder" you run into a lot of players that don't enjoy the music, playing, and comeradery that should be part of it...some guys a little too serious IMHO! I loved the entire "ride" and knowing you, T.C. and communicating with you Paul, even though I don't believe I ever met you in person back during the "Southern Knights" era. Have a lot more time for "reflection" nowadays...lots of great times for sure. You guys carry on, do good, and most importantly...play goooood! Respectfully submitted, RK

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 6:30 am     Re:

Rick Kornacker wrote:
Hey T.C. and Paul. Sounds like the Northern Illinois lonely steel guitar hearts club band,haha. Yes, definitely lots of good times up there back then. Always a lot of work. Jim Shepard was a jewel and I enjoyed "subbing" for him at Country Music Inn. I really enjoyed and appreciated my early steel guitar experiences. Working in Nashville later on was rewarding in its own way but as you work your way "up the ladder" you run into a lot of players that don't enjoy the music, playing, and comeradery that should be part of it...some guys a little too serious IMHO! I loved the entire "ride" and knowing you, T.C. and communicating with you Paul, even though I don't believe I ever met you in person back during the "Southern Knights" era. Have a lot more time for "reflection" nowadays...lots of great times for sure. You guys carry on, do good, and most importantly...play goooood! Respectfully submitted, RK

hi rick been along time since last spoke. rick we met back once when you where playing with "Southern Knights band. in a club in kenosha ,Wi my last band was 5 years ago up in new Lisbon wisconsin was with them for 6 years.now retired from playing out at 72 the hands aren't what they used to be Smile but still give lessons now and then. are you playing out anymore these day's anyway good to here from you and take care
paul

Jeff Bond

Rockford, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 5:12 pm    

Just a few memories from a steel hobbyist. Jim Shepard and his slow vibrato was awesome, TC, thanks for your many tips during "Jump" intermissions when I was first starting, Rick- your AAA+ advice over the years. Lets not forget Paul Carestia who played in Chicago during the '70s and I took lessons from - last I heard he was retired and living in Canon City, CO.

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 6:32 pm     steel reunion in the making!

Looks as if we're getting some mileage out of this thread...good deal. Great to hear from Jeff B., longtime "bud" for sure! We might as well get Ray Mangrum in the mix here since he was also part of the "scene" back then. Glad too see and hear that he's enjoying his new "Willy"(I might have had something to do with it!).In answer to Paul W., I'm not playing out much nowadays but still offering some of my teaching materials. Best of wishes to all of the "yanks" here. Real neat to see how all of us guys here are connected after all this time...a steel guitar ancestry of sorts. Pedal on! Regards, RK

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2020 7:19 pm    

Let's not forget Butch Butler aka Leon Reltub. He was always a pleasure to listen to.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2020 5:32 am    

"Noel" Reltub! Smile

Jeff Bond

Rockford, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2020 6:10 am    

Rick, of course, Ray Mangrum. Tell Ray I said hello. JB

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2020 9:15 pm    

Butch liked to revers the letters of his first name. I can't remember if his real name was Noel or Leon.

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2020 9:30 pm    

James Flaherty wrote:
I can't remember if his real name was Noel or Leon.

Butch's name is Noel.
Take a look at this
post ~>click
~Russ