The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's up with this K120 item on Ebay?
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 3:39 pm    

I just purchased what reads as a PAIR of K120's from Trueheartmusic in Florida. They're listed as 16 ohm but one says 8 ohms. Also one has a strange looking cone color and texture. After pulling trigger I checked the ad again and it's says ONE is still left available?? Also, i discover the seller has another pair of K120's but with different shape magnets. I purchased the one's with the dome looking magnets. I'm waiting trying to contact the seller to sort out this confusion. Anyone have a clue about these? I post hear links to the different K120 pairs mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-K120-16-12-SPEAKER-0548-0549-PAIR/174204464656

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-K120-8-12-SPEAKER-0552-0553-PAIR/174204485462

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 4:37 pm    

The pair you bought 0548, 9 appear to be K series speakers. The original labels reads 8 & 16 ohms. The hand written markings read 6.4 and 6.6. I would guess that the 16, at least, has been reconed to 8 ohms judging by the hand written figures.

The other models you cite have the E series type magnets. Of course they might very well have been re-coned to K specs. That should have been divulged though.

Yours have the proper mags for K series which are some lighter weight and the correct original ones you want.

The ad copy reads one pair, so in the sold column one sold should mean that.

I think the color is just the lighting.

So assuming the pictures are accurate, you're probably getting 8 ohm speakers. The seller should answer your query in timely fashion hopefully.

Best of Luck.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 4:53 pm    

Thanks Jerry. Hope that's the case. Seller sounds a little out of focus. We'll see...

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 4:55 pm    

The E series ( as Jerry said, maybe K recones) have definitely been reconed with something- no aluminum dust caps. Sure doesn't look like JBL recones.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 5:07 pm    

Oh yeah Jack. I didn't even notice the dust covers. Wow! My eyes must be going.

The original K120's did have aluminum covers. So they are probably all recones.

Very important oversight. Sorry about that Steven.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 5:19 pm    

No problem. Can't really beat the price at two for $120. Hopefully the recone job was pro done. I don't regard the paper domes necessarily a negative. Did the D120's D120F's have paper dust caps?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 6:36 pm    

Certainly no JBL expert here, but I think the D and K series both had aluminum dust caps...still, I suppose a paper cap could have been an option.

Recently, there have been a couple companies such as www.soundspeakerrepair.com offering JBL drop in recone kits. I read there where someone said paper caps could be had.

In recent years, some speaker builders have used paper as they felt the alu dome could be a bit harsh.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 5:10 am    

K and d all had aluminum domes. That’s a very important part for the top end of the sound. I would say reconed. Most don’t go to the expense of original jbl parts some of which are not available. A jbl without a edge wound voice coil and the right paper....not worth it. Altecs are even harder to get with original paper and coil. Best of luck

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 7:57 am    

Bill, that sounds about right. What is "a edge wound voice coil"?
I'm beginning to question my impulsive trigger finger and possibly cancel order. Whats the point of trying an old K or D120 if it's no longer what it was?

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 9:15 am    

Got it.... edge wound: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+edge+wound+voice+coil?&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk039IZz8gv7DexBEW0CdqsEyUeRwdQ:1583082716477&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Zx2cAXUYU03cSM%253A%252C1o-X5kUUUNlVpM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSxMj3_3NME7RH3tnSuHayLZDxfiw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFs9zX4vnnAhWFvJ4KHUj-CFIQ9QEwAHoECAUQAw

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 11:32 am    

Steven Welborn wrote:
I'm beginning to question my impulsive trigger finger and possibly cancel order. Whats the point of trying an old K or D120 if it's no longer what it was?

contact the seller. find out if the kits are JBL that were used to recone. if not....be very leary. were it me, i would cancel the auction.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2020 12:17 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
Steven Welborn wrote:

contact the seller. find out if the kits are JBL that were used to recone. if not....be very leary. were it me, i would cancel the auction.

Yep, that was my thought too.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2020 3:35 pm    

I only know enough to be dangerous. The surrounds look faithful, the spider, and the frames are definitely authentic - I'd say you have replacement grade recones. That's the good news. But the dust caps are wrong, which is a very major mistake, since that is the most distinctive visual and functional element of these speakers. Also, these are some of the most difficult speakers to re-cone. The voice coil gap is smaller than most, and therefore alignment is super critical to avoid rub and irregular response. Its possible something has been changed that opens the gap (thinner former and voice coil wind, etc) so that they could be reconed at home by a hobbyist. Frankly, not having the right dust cap on a JBL, is indicative of someone less educated on speakers - Aluminum dust caps are about $9 each...