The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  .
Dennis Stambaugh

New Oxford,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 9:22 am    

close

Last edited by Dennis Stambaugh on 29 Feb 2020 6:42 am; edited 3 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 12:32 pm     Re: Rain's Guitar string buzz

Dennis Stambaugh wrote:
Would scuffed fingers cause string buzzing ? If so how do you go about them buffing them out ? Have to put a lot of pressure on my bar because of sting buzzing especially at the first fret.

Buzzing at the lower frets likely has nothing to do with the changer. The first thing I'd do would be to change the strings and eliminate that as a cause, as it could be bad strings or a string of the wrong gauge that's causing a problem. Make sure to press down firmly on each string immediately in front of the roller nut! This makes sure that the strings are properly conformed to the rollers.

It goes without saying that we need to use more bar pressure at the first fret. That's true of all stringed instruments. Gauged rollers will alleviate this, somewhat, but not completely.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 12:52 pm    

My experience is that the pressure from strings on any aluminum finger can cause sufficient depression in the top of the finger to cause some type of "string zing" or potentially buzzing. On the other hand, if this is mostly below the 3rd fret, it is likely uneven heights of strings at the nut. You say it's real bad at the first fret - to me, that's where I'd look first. Change strings, try another drop of oil in the roller nut, moderately (not hard) press down in front of the roller nut and in front of the changer finger to make sure the string is seated properly.

But if you ultimately deduce that you have a problem with buzzing at the changer fingers, I suggest you carefully read this thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118670

If you decide you really have a problem with the changer finger and it's not just something transient like old or otherwise problematic strings, and you want to sand the tops of the fingers, be absolutely sure to follow the advice there to follow the contour of the top of the finger to avoid sanding a flat spot. Even a slight flat spot can cause string buzzing and you may wind up in worse shape than you started.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 4:32 pm    

Just to clear up ambiguity, my Rains buzzed badly on C6 neck, because it didn't come with gauged rollers. Legrande gauge rollers fit and fixed the problem. Is your on E9 or C6?

Dennis Stambaugh

New Oxford,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 6:07 pm    

close

Last edited by Dennis Stambaugh on 29 Feb 2020 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2020 7:12 pm    

Has anyone removed the nut rollers for any reason? If the rollers are gauged and put back in wrong order you will have problems. Though not Gauged rollers if they are moved around can cause problems.

If you have a precision measuring device (Dial Caliper) Loosen the strings and lift them with a short piece of plastic pipe, or even a partial roll of toilet paper. Remove the rollers and measure the roller groves and compare to string size to get them in an order to make the tops of the strings level.
Good Luck in finding the problem and cure, Happy Steelin.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 3:52 am     Psg

Which strings are problems? I played and sold several new Rains guitar. When one would come in, first thing was to remove strings and oil each roller while rotating each one until there was no rubbing or sticking on any roller. Also cleaning and oiling the roller nut axle.