The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Four Neck Fender Stringmaster SOLD NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 11:40 am    

I am excited to offer this guitar for sale for a friend of mine. I will list the technical info first and then plenty of pictures.

CORRECT PRICE IS $2,500.00 OBO

Last edited by Lonnie Portwood on 18 Feb 2020 7:25 pm; edited 8 times in total

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 12:08 pm     Four Neck Fender Stringmaster

Now for some personal history:

The present owner of this guitar is Freddy Carr, a veteran of many years in the music business as a singer, musician, and producer.

Freddy began his career in the early 60's, forming a band called, "Freddy and the Custom's", with a young Glen Campbell on guitar, touring for a short time with other young start up bands, including Jan and Dean, Bobby Day, and Jewel Akens. Akens recorded a song called, "The Birds and the Bees", in October of 1960. Musicians on the track were Glen Campbell on guitar, Dash Croft on drums, Jimmy Seals on B-3 organ ("yes", Seals and Croft), and Freddy Carr on base. Three years later, Akens got a new deal with ERA Records. ERA bought the track, rerecorded Akins vocal, adding hand claps, etc., and the record went gold. Freddy was with the "Hollywood Argyles" who had the hit, "Alley Oop", which put them on the musical map.

Later in Canada, Freddy occasionally toured with the "Mustangs". Eventually landing in Wheeling, West Virginia, and from 1970-79 toured from the famous "Jamboree USA", as the "Freddy Carr Show".

Mr. Carr has in excess of 20 albums to his credit, and in more recent times (1990's-early 2000's), performed as a special guest with Tommy Alsup, Leon Rausch, and the "Bob Wills Texas Playboys". Tommy and Leon performed with special arrangements with the Bob Wills estate. The band included past members of the Texas Payboys: Such as, Bobby Koefer, Tom Morrell, Curly Hollingsworth, Bobby Boatwright, and others.

I met Freddy in the mid-90's, becoming the best of friends, playing across the state of Florida and Georgia as the "Over Thirty Allstars". We are retired and enjoying life and God's blessings.

Thanks for looking,

Lonnie Portwood

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 12:58 pm    

I was about to ask about the finish and then saw that it was refinished. Beautiful looking. At $34k, a bit out of my price range. Good luck with sale.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 1:59 pm    

Is $34,000 really the price or is that a typo? That is more than ten times what a guitar like this usually fetches. Just curious, not flaming you...

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 2:40 pm    

The price is $3,400.00. Sorry about that. Thanks

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 2:47 pm    

HA! Glad to hear it was a mistake.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 2:52 pm     Sweeeeet!

Wowee! Now, that is one super f'ing cool steel.

Does it come with a case as well? The original tweed, or something new?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 3:59 pm    

Lonnie: You should go into the original posting and edit the price. It still says $34k. Some folks may be turned off by the high price and not read any further.

Neil Harms

Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 7:05 am    

Very cool! Any chance there are pictures of the Bigsby work? Are the pedals and undercarriage stuff still around to put the pulls back on? I love to see the modded ones. Any idea how old the re-fin is? Great guitar. Smile N.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 4:51 pm    

Neil, the parts you mentioned are not available to us, however, if you look at the one neck with the cover open, you can see there are 5 pulls at the changer which were not removed. I'm no Bigsby expert, but I imagine those pulls will still work, needing only the rods, bell cranks, pedals, etc. With some mechanical skills, even adapting other available parts from Michael Yahl, and others on the forum, you could probably get the system to work. Anyone familiar with the Bigsby system, join in this conversation and help us all to understand the possibilities. Thanks, Lonnie

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 2:40 am    

Wow! So cool!!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 7:26 pm    

TTT

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 6:55 pm    

Bump for posterity!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 8:49 pm     Four Neck Fender Stringmaster Price Drop $2,750

FOLKS, LOOK THIS ONE OVER REAL GOOD, THIS IS ONE OF A KIND.

Owner will consider reasonable offers. PM mew, lets talk. Lonnie Portwood

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 7:03 pm    

TTT Merry Christmas

Joel Cangiolosi

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 6:09 am    

That is one fine instrument!!!!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 9:47 am     Re: Four Neck Fender Stringmaster

Lonnie Portwood wrote:
Freddy was with the "Hollywood Argyles" who had the hit, "Alley Oop", which put them on the musical map.

Shades of Kim Fowley...

How does one play a 4-neck guitar?

This should be in a music museum.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 8:36 pm    

Godfrey, you must have long arms, or bend over a lot!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 7:27 am     Sold?

Did it sell? Just curious!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 7:47 am    

Still for sale.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 4:29 pm    

Lovely guitar with some history.

I must say though, I've always thought my quad wasn't quite heavy enough, so the attached steel plate on the bottom would certaily help with that Smile

Where did the figure of "only approx. 200 remaining" come from?

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 2:54 pm     FOUR NECK FENDER STRINGMASTER Price drop again

Folks, take another look at this guitar and realize what a beautiful piece of history this is! This truly is one of a kind! The owner needs to sell and will consider $2500.00, or any reasonable offer. If you should like to talk directly with Freddy, PM me and I will put you in contact with Him. Thanks for looking. Lonnie P

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 6:38 pm    

TTT

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 11:03 am    

LETS ,TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THIS CLASSIC 4 NECK FENDER. PRICE IS $2400.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:23 pm    

THIS GUITAR IS SOLD, MOVING TO ARIZONA. THANKS FOR LOOKING.