The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Hobby - I'm not through yet!
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 4:56 pm    

I spent a lifetime playing music professionally and it took me all over the world working with great artist and I wouldn't trade it for nothing but I quit playing gigs and recording about 15 years ago when I got leukemia and had a bone marrow transplant to cure it. I mean quit as in not even touching an instrument. I'm 66 and finally worked into being financially able to retire and I got bored. I knew I didn't want to play gigs anymore so I built a little bedroom studio and started doing what I intended to do when I was only 9 years old. Just play and sing and record myself for pure fun. I always liked the music I grew up on which was 1960's country Nashville sound so that's my new non-paying hobby. I play all the instruments and sing, do the audio engineering to suit myself. It's a brand of music long out of style and few listeners have survived due to old age but I love it. It don't pay nothing so I got to suit myself. Tracking the steel, lead guitar and piano is always the fun part. Here's a few examples of my Bedroom Records label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VW16OOodC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MBISrllqVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86eUohhs9G0

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 5:01 pm    

Go for it David. You have earned it My friend.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 5:17 pm    

Nice job David, great mixing job....enjoy your new "label"

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 6:53 pm    

Thanks friends! Great to be alive and retired!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 7:11 pm    

Excellent stuff David, especially on “don’t you ever get tired.”

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 5:54 am    

Sounds great! Nice job an the final mix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:30 am    

Thanks friends!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:28 am    

Holy smokes, David, that's so cool! Great production, musicianship, vocals, engineering, arrangements... did I miss anything? So glad you're enjoying!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:46 am    

Thank you Mike!

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:49 am    

Great job on classic country David! Thanks for posting your music. Suggest “Life Turned Her That Way”, one of my favorite Little Jimmy D’s tunes. Keep’em coming...Carl

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 11:51 am    

Thanks Carl! Yes that's a good one!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 3:58 pm    

Good job David. I know how much work goes into doing these songs. Arranging and engineering these projects is a whole branch of talent in itself. It appears that you're getting good at it along with the playing and singing also. Hope to hear more.

RC

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 3:59 pm    

I've been out of the music business over 20 years now and it seems sometimes today a steel players only fans or other steel players. Hope it don't continue in that direction. Here's another cut from an album I produced for an old girlfriend from the 70's where I played all the instruments at home. We did this album about 12 years ago shortly before I got ill with cancer. Just her and I and classic country. Hopefully somebody will get some pleasure from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vOxu_b9KY

Ken Mullett

Bremen, Indiana, USA and Sarasota, FL
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 4:57 pm    

Very nice, David! Good country music!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 6:41 pm    

David, I checked out many of your music efforts and was quite impressed. Good solid country music and played like it should be. Also Sandra has a perfect voice for the music. Glad you are doing what you want and thanks for sharing your talent.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:39 pm    

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying my twilight years.
Didn't think I would ever make it this far.
I give all the credit to my Lord and Savior for everything. God bless all!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 6:19 am    

David, the tracks and songs are very well done.

Ever think about putting out a "Music Minus One" set? It seems to me you'd price it right and many people would take advantage of your productions.

Just sayin'.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 8:24 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
David, the tracks and songs are very well done.

Ever think about putting out a "Music Minus One" set? It seems to me you'd price it right and many people would take advantage of your productions.

Just sayin'.

Frank that's a good idea. A few years ago Corky Owens that use to play steel for Gene Watson asked if he could have some of my tracks to play steel too so I sent him a mix of songs with the steel and voice removed to play to. I've never looked for or bought any steel tracks before because I usually don't play instrumentals but he said all the steel tracks he heard were pretty cheesy sounded. Not sure what he meant by that but I've heard some pretty rough Karaoke tracks that people pay money for. When I was in business I charged $300.00 a song and usually they were original songs never before recorded that required a little thought. Usually had to rewrite the song first before I could record it. So if you all could be happy with what I decide to record I'll just make a steel instrumental mix and donate them to the steel guitar community. At least ya'll will kinda get to hear something like Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons and the others heard in the headphones back in them days in Nashville. Good idea Frank! If I take request I'll have to charge because it becomes a job. I don't want no mo jobs. 😂

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 10:50 am    

I hear ya, David - I'm done with working a "real" job, too.

Just put out songs that YOU want to hear, that inspire you to produce them.

Song suggestions,sure. But nothing that doesn't fire you up. See where it goes.

My 2 cents.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 11:39 am    

Frank whatever I do you can be assured it will be country with a capital C.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 2:46 pm    

From Gigs to Bedrooms that has a nice ring to it sorry you had to quit due to Cancer but it appears you didn't loose your touch and yes sir I think Ole Ray is looking down at you will a Big Smile saying go on cowboy you got this. Thank you for sharing your talent with all of us God has blessed you in many ways.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 5:37 pm    

Thank you Don! Actually I'm fine now. Probably in better shape than most people. I'm just gonna take a different route this time and do what I wanted to do to start with. I would love to find a young artist that loves to sing country and good at it and put traditional country back on the radio. I'm probably dreaming but I would go back to work if I ever saw that was a possibility.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 8:36 pm    

You would have my support I can't stand to even try to listen to the country radio stations in Dallas but I like my Sirus country radio stations. I don't know you and I'm just a bedroom attempting to learn it player myself with help from this great channel, last July 3 days after I turned 65 I was told I had cancer boy you know medicare was happy to see me Lol and during treatment I just didn't have the energy to climb the stairs much less put on my picks. I just had my post treatment Petscan about 3 weeks ago and the results showed I was clean and my energy level is starting to get back to where I want to start doing things like climb those stairs so yes sir David I understand completely what your talking about and where you want to go so follow your Dream my friend.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 9:12 pm    

God bless you beyond measure Don! It's a war just like a battlefield only you never really see the enemy. You can definitely tell he is there. I'll keep you in my prayers that it's completely over for you too. It takes a while to recooperate. It's a torpedo blow for sure.
I noticed we are kinda neighbors. I drove right through Terrell on my way to Dallas and Ft. Worth last week.