The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording with BIAB
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 5:21 pm    

dose anyone record with biab. I just got BIAB 2020 along with real Band and wanting to do some recording any help out there? Do I need an interface ? could a Tascam dp 32 be used for an interface ? is there a usb mic ? need help here.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 7:59 am     TASCAM DP-32 Should Work With Band-in-a-Box

Hi Russell,

My younger brother has a TASCAM DP-2488neo he uses with Band-in-a-Box all the time so I feel pretty safe in stating your DP-32 will work as an audio interface to your computer. However, the manual indicates the TASCAM 32 SD can not be used as an audio interface.

Offhand, I don't know if your TASCAM has a built-in mic but I do know a USB microphone will not work with the TASCAM. However a USB microphone will work with your computer.

I'll do what I can to help you. Let's get some background information out of the way so I can provide you with accurate advice.

First, I want to make sure I've downloaded the right manual so do you have the DP-32 or DP-32SD?

Second, Have you updated the firmware? TASCAM released a firmware update for both products last year. The download links are located here: https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32/download and https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/download

Third, What Band-in-a-Box package do you have? For example I have the 2019 Band-in-a-Box for Windows UltraPAK on this computer and 2020 Band-in-a-Box UltraPAK on another computer I'm setting up.

One fact I will point out from the very beginning is Band-in-a-Box is not the most user friendly recording program to use.

The most severe limitation is the program does not allow for real time monitoring. That limitation means your recorded audio will not line up with the Band-in-a-Box accompaniment tracks and the guide tracks you listen to while you're recording won't align with your recorded audio track during playback.

The next limitation is Band-in-a-Box is limited to one audio track.

While there are ways to overcome both limitations why endure the workarounds?

If you have a Windows computer my suggestion is to consider using RealBand to record on your computer. If you have a Macintosh, use Garageband. Both programs offer real time monitoring so your guide and recorded tracks align correctly for recording and playback. Both programs also have multi-track capability.

My second suggestion is to export the Band-in-a-Box tracks, or the stereo mix, from the computer to you TASCAM then record and monitor from the TASCAM.

The TASCAM will work as an audio interface to your computer.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Last edited by Jim Fogle on 11 Feb 2020 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 6:56 pm    

Hello I have a dp32sd Tascam and no recording software in the computer as of yet , now what I was thinking of doing was to make backup tracks with BIAB and sending them to the software on the computer then adding steel and guitar along with keyboard to that tell me im nuts lol all this stuff is completely new to me I have all kinds of music stuff but don't know how to go about using it to do what I want . I downloaded the firmware and the manuel what is the firmware anyway?

Last edited by Russell Adkins on 7 Feb 2020 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 6:59 pm    

I think the Dp32 requires a sd card for recording not sure its all brand new equiptment I also have a line pod 500 floor multi effect processer and a couple sure mic s I did wanna do a little singing also my pedal steel
is a sierra 14 string beautiful beast at that lol Bain is brand new 2020 and I also have real band with it I think its the Mega pak im waiting on a power supply for the Tascam I lost the one I had its a 12 volt supply I got it coming in a few days

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 6:26 pm     TASCAM 32SD Is A Great Unit

Hi Russell,

Thanks for answering my questions. The TASCAM 32SD is a great digital recorder. I think your going to really enjoy it. As I already mentioned the TASCAM 32SD can be used as a standalone digital recorder however my earlier statement that the TASCAM 32SD can be used as a computer audio interface is wrong.

You can use a USB cable between the TASCAM 32SD and your computer to exchange files. The computer will see the TASCAM 32SD as an external hard drive. But you CAN NOT use the TASCAM 32SD as an audio interface.

Likewise the Mega PAK is a good choice to start with for Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) for Windows. As I mentioned the program is the same for all packages but the Mega PAK gives you about three times more material than the Pro PAK.

Your idea of using BiaB to create backing tracks and then exporting the tracks to the TASCAM 32SD is a good way to approach creating your music. I like that this method keeps the process of creating backing tracks and the process of recording separate and distinct from each other. It also means you can record your steel without having to use the computer. I'll tell you why that's a good thing, computers crash but digital recorders don't. Nobody wants to lose a performance because of a crash.

The TASCAM 32SD ships with a SD Card. If you want to buy more there is a list of tested and approved SD cards. Truthfully, just about any SD card should work.

Your Shure microphones will work with the TASCAM 32SD.

If you want to record on your computer, you will need a computer audio interface. If you just want to record your steel, you can use a $14 USB to 1/4" guitar cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/Connection-Adapter-Professional-Recording-Adaptor/dp/B07X25TCVB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+guitar+cable&qid=1581300856&sr=8-8. One side plugs into a computer USB port and the other side plugs into your steel, electric guitar or electric bass.

If you want to record vocals you'll want an audio interface that has at least two channels with one channel having a microphone input and the other a high impedance instrument input.

Again, an audio interface is needed ONLY if you want to record on the computer. My advice is to record on the TASCAM as you said you want to.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 4:24 pm    

The idea of making backing tracks in Biab and sending them to the Tascam is cool I got my power supply today now I need a sd card or two . Im thinking that I can export from biab to the Tascam ? what kind of file a wav or what ? Ive got 5or 6 songs saved as wav files .

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 9:39 am     What Happened To The Original Power Supply & SD Card?

Hi Russell,

I'm curious, do you mind telling us what happened to the SD card and power supply included with the TASCAM 32SD? I'm assuming you may have purchased a used TASCAM and the original owner lost them or maybe you moved and they got lost?

Firmware is the TASCAM 32SD operating system. Just like a computer will use the Windows, Macintosh or Linux operating system the TASCAM 32SD uses firmware. And just like computer operating systems get updated, so does the TASCAM 32SD firmware.

Before you start it is important that the TASCAM 32SD is using the most current firmware, V1.08. Here are the instructions to check the TASCAM firmware:
1. Turn the unit's power ON.
2. Press the MENU button to open the MENU screen.
3. Use the JOG/DATA dial or CURSOR (5/b/g/ t) buttons to select the INFORMATION menu (selected item appears green),
4. Press the F4 (t) button to open the INFORMATION screen.
5. Visually verify firmware is V1.08.
6. Update if needed.

Both a firmware update instruction file and the firmware needed to update the firmware are available at TASCAM's 32SD download webpage: https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/download. If you have questions, ask. I've downloaded the firmware instructions so I can follow what you might need to do.

You will also need a USB cable to connect the TASCAM 32SD to your computer. The cable will be used to transfer the firmware from your computer to the TASCAM 32SD. Later you will need the USB cable to transfer Band-in-a-Box audio files from your computer to the TASCAM 32SD or audio files from the TASCAM to your computer.

Tthe TASCAM 32 SD uses a SD card for memory storage. TASCAM has a list of tested and approved cards on the downloads page linked above.

Once you indicate you have the USB cable, sd card and the firmware is up to date you will be ready to transfer audio files! I'm looking forward to it!

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 6:47 pm    

Hello jim yes I do have a cable and sd cad I bought the unit new and parts got misplaced I guess I have so much music related equiptment is a shame Ill check on that firmware I sent you a pm

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 6:55 pm    

the info page dosent say anything about firmware .I did record a little song on the card lastnight it has current song format 16 bit , date and size etc etc nothing about firmware . ok I just now downloaded firmware .I have no idea about it .