The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fretboard question
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2020 6:11 am    

Why is it, the first fret rarely has a marker? I know it's the first fret and pretty obvious where exactly it is, but for the sake of aesthetics it would look nice. Yes/No....... Comments?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2020 6:48 am    

It's the norm with guitars, banjos and mandolins the first fret isn't marked on cheaper instruments but marked on more expensive ones. As you say, it's not necessary but some find it more aesthetically pleasing. As for why steels are different... I guess they just follow their own designs. I can't say I ever noticed the difference before you pointed it out.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2020 8:32 am    

Noah Miller wrote:
It's the norm with guitars, banjos and mandolins the first fret isn't marked on cheaper instruments but marked on more expensive ones. As you say, it's not necessary but some find it more aesthetically pleasing. As for why steels are different... I guess they just follow their own designs. I can't say I ever noticed the difference before you pointed it out.

Next one I make will have the 1st marked! LOL Why, cuz I bought an extra abalone dot. I usually am not satisfied with at least one, but this time they came through and sent me all nice ones, so the first fret will get the extra. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy