The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 7 to 10 and back to 7...then back to 10 Question
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 8:48 am    

7--10--7- Needs to go back to 10, Do I need the 10 upgrade disc, or can it be done like when it was reverted back to 7, also do the files need to be backed on an outside hard drive? I have the upgrade disc.

Thanks in advance...Bill

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 3:22 pm     Yes

Hi Bill,

If you value whatever files you have on the hard drive then back the files. If it really doesn't matter if the files are lost then your time is more valuable than the files. My experience is the one time you're not ready is when something will happen.

You should be able to update from disc but you may not want to. Windows 10 is almost five years old and if your disc is an older version of Windows 10 you may want to install a newer version.

Microsoft has a utility program called "Windows Media Creator" that can be used to create a bootable DVD disc or USB memory stick. You can find out more about Windows Media Creator here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media. Windows Media Creator can be used to create installation media for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 in addition to Windows 10.

Then use this link to download the latest version of Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The webpage gives instructions to (1) save existing files and update a pc, (2) erase existing files and update a pc or (3) use the media you create to install the operating system on another computer.

I used the save files option while updating this 2011 Windows 7 laptop last weekend. I used the same USB memory stick to perform a "fresh" (format the hard drive) install on a desktop computer. The media creation tool is pretty easy to use.

The only got cha' I found is deciding which Windows 10 to download. If your pc has Windows Home then download Windows Home. If your pc has Windows Pro then download Windows Pro. If your computer has Windows Education then download Education.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 4:43 am    

Thanks Jim, I was thinking to save all important files, better safe than sorry. I also have been looking at different sites to do what is needed.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 8:23 am     Update This Thread?

Hi Bill,

I hope you'll update this thread and let us know what you've found out and how the upgrade for the second time goes.

It's nice to know if the given advice actually helps.

If you have any additional questions or concerns I'm sure myself or others will be happy to help.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 6:16 pm    

Jim, The computer that I was going to do the change back is one of our Church units. After careful consideration, I decided to not take a chance on losing critical files, also there are issues with this unit that I have no experience in....If it were my computer, I would go for it because I have the 7 disc, and would write it up to experience if it went wrong. The computer tech that has been doing our work has retired, and I was trying to help out.

PS I have a scrap computer the I think will load 7, if it will. I am going to play with it and see what happens.

Thanks for your input. Bill

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2020 6:11 pm     I Understand

Bill,

I completely understand what you mean. The only way I will update a computer that is not mine is to do a clean install. That way I don't have to worry about messing up and losing data.

If the computer remains offline then staying at Windows 7 is an option.

Is the computer experiencing any hardware issues? Is the computer a desktop or laptop?

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2020 6:59 am    

It is desktop, the issue is with the normal backup, it is giving an error message and I am not familiar with this procedure. They are contacting someone to do the upgrade and correct the other issues. I have built a couple of computers, and corrected some issues on my stuff but don't feel confident enough to work on other peoples stuff unless there is a virus, and/or a need to do a complete install/reinstall.