The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  crazy good deal on tech 21 q strip
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 11:22 am    

I have no idea if this is legit. Store based in China but if you pay with PayPal you can get a refund if it's a scam:

https://www.wwardrobes.com/and-pedal-tech-21-eq-q-strip-preamp

the q strip is an incredible pedal.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 3:59 pm    

I dunno. All their prices look to good to be true. Muttering

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 7:48 pm    

That site is too new to know much about it:
https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/wardrobes.net.au

I'd be wary.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 6:30 am    

Are these pedals manufactured in China? It was my understanding that Tech 21 products are built in NYC.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 8:06 am    

I think there are many products manufactured in China for US companies, I guess we would need to look for a small sticker.
A few years ago I bought some Sony headphones, (MDR 7506) for around $50 thinking I would send them back if they were fakes. They weren't! They still sell for about a $100 today!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 10:44 am    

A lot of stuff we buy from USA companies is just made in China with a huge USA markup and little value add by the USA distributor. I recently bought a set of bearings, very expensive ones for about $378.13 ($211 from MRO, $279 Amazon) apiece from my normal supplier. I happened to be on Alibaba and thought I'd type that bearing part number into their system. They came back at $17.00 each with $21.70 shipping total and I got them in 4 weeks. Gave them to my toolmaker and he verified the dimensions and material hardness. They look great and we use 4 of these per machine rebuild so the savings is close to $960 per rebuild!

Just for reference these were: Stieber DC7221B(5C)-N High Quality Freewheel Cam Clutch One Way Sprag Clutch Bearings.

So there's really great deals outside of our normal dealer channels. True the link for this EQ box looks shaky but I would risk it with certain types of payment given the savings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 3:36 pm    

I buy Elixir strings for all my instruments from China and they are less than half the US price. Eg: $5.50/set for guitar strings.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 8:38 pm    

The internet is fraught with counterfeit items and bogus ads. Elixir strings for $5? Not from an authorized dealer and not likely the real deal.

https://www.echoinox.com/blogs/whats-up/exposed-the-truth-and-differences-between-fake-elixir-strings-and-real-elixir-strings

Why would Tech 21 or Sony let their factories or offshore distributors sell their products so cheap? If you’ve travelled the world and visited music stores in other countries (Europe or Asia) you’d find that musical instruments and products manufactured or branded by American or name-brand companies carry a premium price abroad. I’ve come to realize that the best prices most often come from our own American retailers.

Bill

Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2020 5:57 am    

“ A lot of stuff we buy from USA companies is just made in China with a huge USA markup and little value add by the USA distributor.”

The actual cost of a product also includes the R and D to design and produce it. There are also vendor agreements and additional costs I know nothing about. And while I know even less about this vendor or it’s source of product, I have read about factories producing “two lines” of product (one according to their production contract, one for illegitimate direct sales) which apparently is one reason golf club heads typically change so often.

While the quote may well be true, I have also heard students (I am a teacher) say the exact same thing about their purchases of bootleg music, movies, and software. I again don’t know about this particular case, but before I bought their stuff, I’d want to know if it was robbing Tech 21 of royalties or breaking their distribution contracts. It’s always a personal decision, but that money is what keeps those legitimate companies making awesome new gear.

All the best.
Brian Saulsman

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2020 3:00 pm    

I have a set of Elixir strings on my Martin that have been there for a year and they sound the same as they did when I put them on.
They may be knock offs but they last twice as long as supposedly US made strings (GHS, D'Addario, etc) at half the price.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2020 4:52 pm    

Brian Saulsman wrote:
“ A lot of stuff we buy from USA companies is just made in China with a huge USA markup and little value add by the USA distributor.”

The actual cost of a product also includes the R and D to design and produce it. There are also vendor agreements and additional costs I know nothing about. And while I know even less about this vendor or it’s source of product, I have read about factories producing “two lines” of product (one according to their production contract, one for illegitimate direct sales) which apparently is one reason golf club heads typically change so often.

While the quote may well be true, I have also heard students (I am a teacher) say the exact same thing about their purchases of bootleg music, movies, and software. I again don’t know about this particular case, but before I bought their stuff, I’d want to know if it was robbing Tech 21 of royalties or breaking their distribution contracts. It’s always a personal decision, but that money is what keeps those legitimate companies making awesome new gear.

All the best.
Brian Saulsman

This is a very good point. That EQ-Strip is that cheap for a reason - it went out the side door of a factory, it's a counterfeit, or it doesn't even exist and the website is a scam. In any case, when something is priced that far below market value, someone is getting screwed. Hopefully it's not a 14-year old kid working 16-hour shifts in a sweatshop for $5 a day.