The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite strings?
John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 3:50 am    

Hello: I'm a new LS player, familiar with open G tuning from dobro but looking to get into C6 tuning. I order a set of GHS g-tuning strings and fear that at least one of them is "dead" - very low volume when plugged in and sort of thumpy, whereas the 1st and 2nd strings are bright with plenty of output.

Any suggestions? I'm sort of hesitant to stick with GHS given the issue noted above. John Pearse? SIT?

Thanks!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 5:13 am    

Scotty's SIT

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 5:52 am    

John Pearse makes a good product specific to C6 tuning.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 6:58 am    

It really sounds like the problem is with the pickup.
Erv

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 8:29 am    

What guitar and pickup do you have? Did it work fine before the string change?
I use Thomastik Infeld flatwounds on my steels but there is nothing inherently wrong with GHS, I've used them quite a bit on my regular guitars and basses.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 12:15 pm    

SIT from this site.

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 12:46 pm    

Thanks, all. It’s a Silvertone from the 50s with the string through pickup. Seemed ok before the string change.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 1:25 pm    

I make up my own sets with GHS singles and I've never had any issues. I use the gauges suggested on John Ely's page other than I use a .015 for the high E.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 6:12 pm    

Your open G-tuning is DGDGBD (lo-hi)? You're using the GHS Custom Shop set: 016, 018, 026, 040W, 050W, 058W? If so, I'm not surprised that the third string, that 26 plain, is dead and thumpy sounding.

I've used and can recommend the GHS white bronze (Acoustic/Electric) set in medium gauge strings for open G-tuning. I've had great results on lap steel and resonator with these: 013, 017, 26W, 36W, 46W, 56W

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 6:47 pm    

Yes, that's exactly the set I have (tuned GBDGBD low to high). I also found the 5th and 6th strings kind of tubby sounding.

I think I'll try another set of strings and see how it goes. Thanks again.

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 10:12 am    

Hi all - just wanted to circle back on this. I ordered new strings from the forum (.014 to .038), and after putting them on, I am still hearing uneven output across the strings. First and second strings are loud and clear, and that third string just sounds noticeably weaker.

So if it is an issue with the pickup, as others suggested, what are my options? Again, this is a 1957 Silvertone with the string-through pickup. Should I take my chances with a tech and see if they can pinpoint the issue? I assume these pickups can't be replaced all that easily.

Thanks again!
John

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 11:15 am    

That would be a Valco pickup and there are people who rebuild them, not sure of any names but someone should be along with a recommendation.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 1:59 pm    

You can also buy new side magnets from Lollar. On a lot of these old string throughs, the second “magnet” is just a piece of painted wood.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 4:31 pm    

The pole pieces are adjustable on those... loosen the string, move it aside, and use a small flat-blade screwdriver to raise that pole piece.

Also, on really fat plain strings, I give press down on them at the bridge and nut once they're under tension... they sound kind of funny until you do this, relieves the breakover point and lets the string pull straight.

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 4:57 pm    

Thanks - I'll try raising the pole piece.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 6:42 pm    

Be careful when you are adjusting the pole pieces.. they can be brittle.. Make sure to use a good fitting screwdriver and don't force it..

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 2:39 am    

Well, I adjusted the pole pieces. Now the 3rd string sounds stronger, but the 2nd string is weaker than before! I assume this is an issue where the pole piece heights need to be balanced across all six strings?

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 7:37 am    

John Wedeles wrote:
Well, I adjusted the pole pieces. Now the 3rd string sounds stronger, but the 2nd string is weaker than before! I assume this is an issue where the pole piece heights need to be balanced across all six strings?

The height of the pole pieces is almost never even on these.. the string gauge, distance from the magnets (or magnet) all play a roll.. the adjustment on these can be quite sensitive.. even a quarter turn can make a difference.. I've even noticed that if the screw slot is in line with the string there is a dip in the output.. I usually start on the bass strings. I set them just low enough that the strings wont hit the pole pieces when I block..then I adjust them for balance..Next, I move on to the unwound treble strings and adjust them to match the wound strings in output.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 8:28 am    

Do any of you notice major differences in tone or feel that are related to string brand?

I’ve been mixing and matching and not even keeping track. I don’t think I can tell the difference. But maybe my wife is right. I’m too insensitive.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2020 9:49 pm    

I know my Gretsch G9210 Boxcar Dobro has D'Addarios, and I'm pretty sure my main Dobro, a Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature Series Deluxe Dobro uses D'Addarios, too. Both guitars are tuned to the GBDGBD tuning-that's my main Dobro tuning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger