The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Clinesmith Frypan Long Scale 6 , 7's and Short Scale 8
Joe Scherzi

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 9:30 am    

Here's my Clinesmith "Aluminum rig". They both sound amazing. Just got the Deluxe 34 stand and the Saturnworks aby pedal last week. They sound really nice through my Mesa Lonestar. That amp really starts cookin after a couple hours of warm up time.
Looking forward to a Clinesmith "Wooden rig" in the future.

[/img]

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 11:46 am    

By the way....as pointed out in the 1934 patent application, with the magnets oriented the way they are, if you pick horizontally (the normal way) the sound is much different than if you pick vertically - pretty much only possible on the first string. Vertical gives a much mellower tone, different harmonics according to the patent. Vertical gives the fundamental, horizontal the second harmonic....very audible...

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 1:49 pm    

Quote:
From Andy Volk:

That said, I'm the rare fish swimming against the frypan current. 'Couldn't be happier with my choice of the Clinesmith aluminum model with horseshoe. The hi-fi sound and dynamic range are the best of any lap steel I've ever played.

Andy,
I am curious if you have an audio of any recordings where you are using this instrument...I am very tempted to sell my pedal steel and order one of these ! Thanks, I highly respect your skills and judgement on this.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 1:59 pm    

Oh, these are so beautiful! When some money comes in. I only have 6-string steels, surely that is a very good reason to order a 7- or 8-string. Smile

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 4:19 pm     The Hit's keep coming.

The Hit's keep coming.
I love everything Todd has been doing over the years.
Guess Andy Volk, Larry Lenhart and I are three fish swimming in the same direction.
Am now the proud owner of two of those, one short scale A6th and one long scale E9th, as well a T-8 console with those tunings and a C6th.
Love both of the lap steels though the short scale gets more play.
Sits at the edge of my desk ready to play any time I get the urge.
The Fry Pans are stunning. IMHO as good or better than the originals.
Can't go wrong with a Clinesmith. We should have a fan club! Very Happy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 5:03 pm    

Joe and Andy...those are stunning to look at ! 2 of them no less...hope to get to meet you Andy in Dallas...I will be at the non-pedal room all the time its open Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 5:14 pm    

I was out for a long walk today and I was thinking about how odd it is that I have been so satisfied with my instruments for such a long time. Every now and then I jones for another Clinesmith but then I sit and play one of mine and the urge dissipates. It’s a great feeling and a great relationship I have with my guitars.

Thank you, Todd!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 3:05 am    

Larry, sadly, won't be in Dallas this year. I play the Clinesmith all the time but haven't really captured its tremendous sound through the amp in a recording yet. Here's a snippet from a practice session that, even though there's some grit, kind of shows the richness and dynamic range of the horseshoe. Listen to mike Neer's recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/aev/frankie-johnny/s-VcHSB

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 6:27 am    

Thanks for posting that sound snippet and I can hear what you are saying..it does sound rich ! Thanks for taking the time to do that...I will listen to Mikes recordings as well..thanks.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 6:56 am    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
Thanks for posting that sound snippet and I can hear what you are saying..it does sound rich ! Thanks for taking the time to do that...I will listen to Mikes recordings as well..thanks.

Larry, listen to these, they are most recent.
http://mikeneer.bandcamp.com/track/honky-tonk-steel-guitar-rag

http://mikeneer.bandcamp.com/track/sleep-walking-naima

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 9:08 am    

Mike
Thanks for your links to those...your playing is on a whole another level...amazing !

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 12:10 am     Sleepwalking Naima

I just bought Sleepwalking Naima.
Mike really shows off the tone of Todd's cast aluminum steel well.
I get a little different tone through my Web amp, but it's close.
You'd expect that because I play just like Mike, just a lot slower and less tasteful!
Whoa! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice job Mike. I really got a kick out of the way you took off about half way through.
I'm not the biggest Coltrane fan, but used to really like a couple of his albums I had years ago. "Ballards" was one and the other was with Johnny Hartman, but I don't remember the name of that now?

A good friend took me to see Johnny Hartman play a small club in San Francisco in the mid 70's. It was just him with a piano and bass player. Really an amazing singer.
Glad I got to hear him. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 7:46 am    

Thanks for the comments and support.
I have a few new twists on this model coming soon !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 2:24 pm    

For all you folks who haven't gotten a Clinesmith yet - my Frypan is far and away the most amazing instrument I've even owned, or played (and I've had quite a few if the rare ones). The notes literally jump out of it, with a very organic, almost three-dimensional sound...

So while Todd is rebuilding his shop, you have a chance to save up for one...just a thought for the day...

...Or for one of his other models....be charitable and order one just to help him get going again, not at all for yourself (right?), then he is ready to go...