The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Winnie Winston vs Dewitt Scott book
Pete Doyle

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 9:31 pm    

I'm a pretty new steel player looking to buy a book or some type of instructional material to study the instrument with. I have an ok knowledge of theory, and so far I've learned all my major/minor/7th chords, major scale, etc on the steel. I've seen books by Winnie Winston, Dewitt Scott, and Jeff Newman all recommended on here - which do you all recommend? Do any of them go more in-depth/take you farther along than the others? I'm leaning towards Scott or Winston since those seem to be more readily available. Any insight is helpful. Thanks!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 1:51 am    

Both , whats the question. Winnies book leans towards "why we do stuff" and exercises

Scottys book is filled with song tabs. Its not one or the other, it's both. You will have massive takeaways from both.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:06 am    

Tony's right. Get them both.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:19 am    

If your public library doesn't have PSG books in its collection, try inter library lending, I'll bet you can get WInston's book there.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:45 am    

Just remember, both of these books, as well as others, are not NOVELS, they require some reading and then performing exercises based on what we read.

Reader participation is required ! Very Happy

For EX: Using Scotty's book, if a player, any player ,were to actually study each page , exercise and written Tab to full understanding and execution , it would probably take 2 years !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 5:26 am    

Although hard to find (get) but I like the Newman courses. My wife wanted to learn pedal steel (she plays 6 string guitar and piano so she has music knowledge) and we were given the Newman A and B pedal and Knee leavers that raise and lower E's. That helped her immensely.

Another out of print is the old Sho-Bud instruction book (actually written by Dewitt Scott). What I used when I started on pedal steel. Single volume book with Jeff Newman on the cover.

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 6:05 am    

Also recommend radyguide.com for the cheapest video instruction around. You can access everything on a month to month basis or get the entire year for about $75. Jeff is a forum member and great guy.

And, yes, buy both books. I bought the google online version of the Dewitt Scott book but probably should have gotten a hard copy.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 6:44 am    

Winston is more of an encyclopedia than a step-by-step course.
Scotty uses notation, so if you can read that it helps, or if you can't you can learn as you go (although he doesn't insist on it).
Yes, get both.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:05 am    

I recommend both books plus I managed to snag copies of about seven Jeffran lessons with video.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:57 am    

Yes, I have several Jeff Newman courses and they're all good too. He was a committed teacher and very systematic.

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 9:14 am    

While ordering the Jeffran material direct can be questionable (a lot of bad experiences recently), I found the 'Up From the Top' series to be of great value when I started playing. It really put me in position to start playing with others in short order. I spent a few months on each course and still go back to them from time to time. They are really great to get you started and thinking of the pedal steel as an accompaniment instrument, which is good if you hope to play with others.

I too had issues with my order about a year ago and had to file a claim through paypal. It was eventually resolved, but it was a major headache. If you can buy it second hand, i wouldn't hesitate to do so.

I also have both books, but have mostly used the Winston one. For my learning style, the Jeff Newman courses worked better, and I use the Winston book as a supplementary piece for learning songs and melody.

The Paul Franklin course is also getting great reviews.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 9:23 am    

I'm with everyone else...get both. As far as online instruction for complete beginners, my favorite is Aaron with Steel Picking on youtube. He goes super slow and is easy to follow. When I find one of his lessons that I like, I tab it out myself which I think helps me understand what's going on better. His channel lives at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHM8uFK2a4xx4za2nDRsvCQ

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 9:32 am    

I don't think you can beat the Winnie Winston book for learning, especially the theory section. It's a thorough look at the instrument. I would recommend it as a first choice. Mine is dog eared and shows a lot of wear from use.

I also have Scotty's book. It has more songs and tabs. Pretty good examples of how the originals were done. So for practicing some earlier instrumentals up to maybe the early 80s there are some good tabs.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 9:53 am    

I also suggest that you get in touch with John McClung. John gives lessons over Skype.

John is both a great player and a great teacher. You will learn a lot from him.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 10:45 am    

I learned a lot from Scotty's book.
I really didn't understand the function of the knee levers until I got the book. Very Happy
Erv

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 11:07 am    

Paul Franklin has state-of-the art online streaming courses including an E9 Basics course: Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics.

Up-to-date instruction for all genres and styles, covering all of the techniques used in modern steel. Not a collection of licks, but a solid tutorial in learning the pedal steel as a musician incorporating practical theory, fretboard knowledge, expressive nuance and more.

Video lessons, downloadable TABs, PDFs and Practice Tracks accessible 24/7/365 from any device: phone, tablet, lap top, desktop. No books, no binders, no DVDs, no tapes.

12-month enrollment is $99 and can be applied in full should you choose to upgrade to the complete Paul Franklin Method.

If you want to get an idea of what the online course experience is like, enroll in Paul's FREE "Together Again" course here: Together Again

Here's a list of the Foundations contents:

HOW TO NAVIGATE THE SITE AND COURSE
How to Navigate The Course Player - SLIDES
How to Navigate New Player - PDF

GETTING READY TO PLAY
A Message From Paul
The Parts of the Pedal Steel Guitar - VIDEO
For 6-String Guitarists - VIDEO
Open Strings/Intervals - VIDEO
The Open Strings - QUIZ
Thinking In Intervals PDF
Why Is My Guitar Tuned Like This?
E9 Tuning - QUIZ
How To Sit Behind The Guitar - VIDEO

TUNING UP

Tuning Your Guitar By Ear - VIDEO
Tuning Your Knee Levers - VIDEO
Tuning Your Guitar With A Tuner - VIDEO
The Jeff Newman Tuning Charts PDF

THE PICKS AND THE BAR
Choices For Picking Techniques - VIDEO
How To Wear Your Picks - VIDEO
Choosing And Holding The Bar - VIDEO
Bar Pressure - VIDEO
Bar Exercises - VIDEO
Vibrato Concepts - VIDEO

THE PEDALS AND LEVERS
Introduction To The Pedals - VIDEO
The Intro To The Pedals - QUIZ
TAB Basics - PDF
Intro To Pedals TAB PDF
More on Pedals and Levers - VIDEO
The Volume Pedal - VIDEO
Adding Expression With The Volume Pedal - VIDEO

INTRODUCTION TO CHORDS

Intro To The Four String Groups - VIDEO
The Four String Groups - QUIZ
Chord Names On The Fretboard - VIDEO
Chord Names On The Fretboard -QUIZ
Timing: Working With A Metronome - VIDEO
Practicing The String Groups - VIDEO
The 1-4-5 Progression - VIDEO
More On 1-4-5 Progressions - VIDEO
Goodnight Ladies TAB PDF
1-4-5 Chords In Every Key PDF
1-4-5 Chord Progression - PRACTICE TRACKS

PICKING AND BLOCKING
Picking Exercises: The Arpeggio - VIDEO
How To Practice H.O.T.R.S. TAB PDF
Intro to Blocking The Strings - VIDEO
Pick Blocking - VIDEO
Picking and Blocking Exercises - TEXT

CHORDS: MAJOR AND MINOR
Using The Pedals To Make Chords - VIDEO
The Pedals - QUIZ
The Four String Groups - Major Chords - VIDEO
Beginner Chord Etude TAB PDF
Major Chord - PRACTICE TRACKS
The Four String Groups - Minor Chords - VIDEO
Minor Chords - QUIZ
Minor Chord - PRACTICE TRACKS
Pads & Power Chords - VIDEO
Power Chord TAB PDF
Chord Progressions - VIDEO
Chord Progressions - PRACTICE TRACKS
Major and Minor Chord Workouts - PRACTICE TRACKS
Major Chord Workout Chart -PDF
Minor Chord Workout Chart - PDF

DOMINANT 7th CHORDS
Open Position Dominant 7th Chords - VIDEO
Pedals Down Dominant 7ths - VIDEO
Dominant 7th Extensions - VIDEO
Dominant 7th Workout - PRACTICE TRACK
Dominant 7 Workout - PDF
Playing The Blues - VIDEO
Simple Blues Progression - PRACTICE TRACK
Simple Blues - PDF

SCALES AND HARMONY
The Major Scale - VIDEO
Basic Harmony PDF
Adding Harmonies to the Major Scale - VIDEO
The Harmonized Major Scale - VIDEO
Harmonized Major Scale TAB PDF
Major Scales and Triads PDF
Putting It All Together - VIDEO
Drones In Various Keys - DRONE TRACKS

STYLES AND LICKS
Western Swing and Blues Rock - VIDEO
Western Swing and Blues Rock TAB PDF
5511 Ballad Intro - VIDEO
5511 Ballad Intro TAB PDF

WHAT'S NEXT?
No Longer A Beginner - VIDEO
Thanks From Paul!

RESOURCES
Tips On Practice Routines - VIDEO
Suggested Listening
Basic Music Theory - PDF
Thinking In Intervals - PDF
Paul's TAB Symbols Explained
The Nashville Number System - PDF
Links to Some Pedal Steel Resources
Chord Formulas - PDF
Cycle Of 4ths and 5ths - PDF
Major Scales and Triads - PDF
How To Read TAB - VIDEO
How To Read TAB - PDF
Blank TAB 10 String - PDF

Last edited by John Spaulding on 6 Feb 2020 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 11:14 am    

My advice would be to purchase both of 'em. If the choice boils down to one or the other, get Winnie's.

Fully cognizant this option is not available everywhere, but the best choice of all is face-to-face private lessons with a seasoned player who is also a competent instructor.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 11:41 am    

Forum member Don Sulesky has some basic instruction and tabbed out many songs. I highly recommend you check his stuff out. He's sold a lot in the USA and other countries.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=237516

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 12:02 pm    

People have referred to "Scotty's book", singular. In fact there are two, Deluxe Pedal Steel Guitar Method and Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar, in addition to Gospel Pedal Steel Guitar.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 1:30 pm    

The bottom line is that the more instruction material you have, the better. You will learn something from each of them.

Likewise, if you know more than one player, take a lesson or 2 from each if them. Each one will show you something different.

And as soon as possible, start playing with other musicians. Maybe join a band. You'll learn as much that way as you will from any instruction courses.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 2:07 pm     Instruction for Pedal Steel Guitar

I like Frenchy Messier's.. his stuff comes with CDs (Tracks to play with) to learn with, for every lesson & there is a year's worth....

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 2:50 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
The bottom line is that the more instruction material you have, the better. You will learn something from each of them.

Likewise, if you know more than one player, take a lesson or 2 from each if them. Each one will show you something different.

And as soon as possible, start playing with other musicians. Maybe join a band. You'll learn as much that way as you will from any instruction courses.

Mike is correct about joining a band. I bought a pedal steel in late October 69. I had played a little lap steel 20 years before and had done some 6 string lead guitar but the pedal steel was new to me. Anyway in early Jan 70 I got a call about needing a steel player. I told the guy I was just a beginner but he said that was OK as he had the lead player from the Jimmy Dean Washington DC TV show that would take most of it. WRONG! I learned "under fire". I went on the job and reminded him I was a newbie and he again said the lead guitar player would do it and just put some chords in the background. The first song, when it came to the instrumental break they looked at me and told me to take it. I didn't do much maybe a couple Bud Isaacs licks but I was go from that point and played about a dozen jobs with that band after that.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 9:32 am    

I would recommend Jeff Newman's "Up From The Top" series the most: AB pedals, then E lever, F lever, and later, "7th Chord Connection", and "Minor Chord Connection." Get them used or borrow someone's copies.

I have Winnie Winston's book, Scotty's book "Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar," and was also enrolled in the Paul Franklin Method. These three are useful and you will learn from them, but the Newman stuff is the best. Jeff Newman was a genius at teaching. It was only recently, after I got the Newman stuff that I find myself learning pedal steel the way I always wanted to play. My BIGGEST regret in my pedal steel journey is that cheaped-out and didn't get Jeff Newman's instruction when I first got my steel 14 years ago... I'd be a much better player by now.