The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A tip from Paul Franklin from 1986
Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 6:58 am    

I was looking through some old Jeff Newman stuff which included a newsletter he used to put out in 1986 called the “Jeffran College Tooter”. Neat items. Anyway, in one of them was this 1/2 page column by Paul Franklin entitled, “BC Critters by Paul Franklin Jr.” It tells how to quickly tune your B&C pedals.

I thought others might like it, too. So here it is. I apologize for the format. I’m not tech-savvy and just took a pic of the page and inserted it here.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 10:59 am    

AWESOME INFORMATION!!!

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 12:23 pm    

Ha! I remember that article. In the same newsletter, Jeff wrote a column wondering why we even had the C pedal on guitars, as no one used it anymore. Meanwhile, in the same issue, there's the fastest rising young gun of the steel guitar world showing us not only how to tune them but how he was making them relevant to the music of the time.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 3:57 am    

"Tune the 4th string to the pitch of the 3rd string". Huh?!? I don't understand what he's talking about. Just not following. Why would you tune the 4th string to the pitch of the 3rd string when they're different pitched strings. How do you do what he suggests?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 5:20 am    

I use the Newman "sweetened" settings in my Peterson tuner and they sound OK on my Franklin steel.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 7:51 am    

Richard, he is not meaning to tune the 4th to the actual pitch of the 3rd string. The 4th tunes to F# with C pedal down. He just wants to eliminate any "beats" in combination with the 3rd string open.

I find that I have to tune my 4th string C pedal pretty flat. My 5th string seems to be fine tuing it the same on Pedal A and C.

Jack, I cannot use my Peterson Tuner for the 4th string change to F#. It seems way too sharp for me.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:02 am    

Everyone hears things differently. Neither is wrong.