The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Power supply/Please close, thanks Keith!
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 6:31 am    

Have an older Hilton volume pedal(nearly 20 years old) that was severely distorting the output signal. Tried turning the output control down to where it was barely passing the signal with no result. Sent it to Keith for repair and the unit was returned with the output control completely removed but still exhibiting the same problem. Here is my question: Could it possibly be a faulty or failing power supply? Reason for asking; neglected to change the 9V battery in my Goodrich 'Omni' pedal before a job and when the battery became weak the pedal developed the exact symptoms as the Hilton, changed the battery and problem solved. Would anyone know of a suitable substitute for the factory 12V supply? Attempted to source an exact replacement but was only able to locate a used unit that was listed for sale on ebay in Texas. Have reached out to Keith through emails and Forum p.m.'s but as yet have received no response. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by David Nugent on 6 Feb 2020 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 7:17 am    

I have a replacement "OMNIHIL" for the Phihong PSM11R-120. Works with my 12VDC Hilton.

https://www.amazon.com/Omnihil-Adapter-Compatible-PSM11R-120-Replacement/dp/B017OKKQA2

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 8:24 am    

Jack..Thanks so much for the reply and the link, will order one today.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 6:59 am    

I'm a little bit confused Jack. I have an older Hilton Pedal. The output is 24v not 12v. I believe Keith later changed the power supply so you could use a 9v power supply.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 7:16 am    

There have been several versions.

The older models (and what David has as I later found out) uses the attached (Motorola) power supply that is both +12VDC and -12VDC. The Motorola also has a 5VDC that is not used. This power supply was originally for telephone systems.

The first detachable version, and what I have, uses the single 12VDC power supply

Later, current model, uses a 24VDC power supply.

The "Pro" model which is for 6 string guitar players uses 9VDC.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 9:57 pm    

You should phone Keith.
Jerry

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 5:57 am    

You can get the Phihong supplies online through Mouser Electronics and others. I just ordered my 5th one as a spare. I have had 3 fail. 2 on outside gigs that were about a year apart at the same exact place. The 3rd was at rehearsal about a month ago.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 7:13 am    

Jerry..Have attempted to contact Keith on more than one occasion both through Forum P.M. and emails via his website, as yet no response. Very surprised that he has not noticed this post..Richard..My volume pedal has the large, hardwired Motorola power supply that apparently is no longer available. Attempted to source a replacement but was only able to locate a used unit in Texas and did not wish to risk purchasing a defective product (@$30.00 plus shipping!)...Thank you both for the replies.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:26 am    

David Nugent wrote:
Jerry..Have attempted to contact Keith on more than one occasion both through Forum P.M. and emails via his website, as yet no response. Very surprised that he has not noticed this post..Richard..My volume pedal has the large, hardwired Motorola power supply that apparently is no longer available. Attempted to source a replacement but was only able to locate a used unit in Texas and did not wish to risk purchasing a defective product (@$30.00 plus shipping!)...Thank you both for the replies.

Ah! There should be another power supply available with the same specs available somewhere. What is the model number and specs off the power supply. I can find almost anything on the internet.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:28 am    

David, Jerry Roller called me and made me aware of this post. To help you I need to understand the problem you are having. I need you to contact me either by e-mail or telephone. If have not been able to contact me you may have been using some really old e-mail or old phone number that is no longer working. David, here is my e-mail hiltonkeith43@gmail.com Here is my phone number 417-581-4158. My email and phone both are working and I would like to help you.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:03 pm    

Please close, Mr. Hilton has solved the problem.