The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The ZUMSTEEL are 30 years!
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 3:46 am    

Happy anniveresry 1976 - 2006!!!

Bruce Zumsteg - Thank you for providing us for 30 years of building some of the finest Pedal steel guitar on the market!

Regards,
Dag Wolf

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 22 March 2006 at 03:53 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 6:04 am    

I used to live in Kansas City, Mo. and I saw one of the first Zum's that Bruce built, in January 1974. Bruce isn't sure what serial number it was but thinks it was probably #2 or #3.

So, Zum's were around before 1976.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 6:32 am    

Wow Jack I didn`t know that. Maybe Bruce had a few proto types.
Check this: http://zumsteel.net/

Dag

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 7:23 am    

Dag, I see the web site. I've been to Bruce's house (and garage where he originally built his steels) in Raytown, Mo (a Kansas City suburb). Maybe he didn't "officially" have the Zumsteel company until 1976???

In late 70's, I went to Bruce's house to pick up some hardware for a case I was building for my Emmons D-10. Bruce saw the case that I was building and wanted to know if I would build cases for him as he was bulding his own cases at the time and it took away from his steel guitar building. I wasn't set up to "commercially" make cases so I didn't do it. But it was a complement for my steel guitar case.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 7:41 am    

Jack, I bet you`re right about that 1976 are the year the company registred.

Dag

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 22 March 2006 at 07:45 AM.]

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 12:59 pm    

Zumsteel definitely started in 1976, that was two years after my first steel, an Emmons was built. The first steel I saw live onstage was a Zumsteel.The Zumsteel is an amazing steel guitar. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 12:27 pm    

Hey guys, I was talking to Mr. Z just yesterday and this topic came up. He's said he would like to make a clarification if it was OK. But since he doesn't get on the forum or deal too much with the computer he asked me to relay this message to you. So, here it is from the "horses mouth" (so to speak!):

quote:
"To clarify the year of origin of Zumsteel guitars and a little pre-history:

I have been working on or building pedal steel guitars since I was about 15 years old, my first effort being constructed with screen door turn-buckles, accelerator pedals from junk cars and other similar hi-tech components. I'm sure some of you old timers can recall similar projects, going to any length to hear those strings bend, regardless how crude the method of doing so.

In about 1964 I decided to build a D-10. The only tools I had were a 1/4 inch electric hand drill, a hacksaw, and a very small vise. It took about 2 years to complete. (No sarcastic responses please). Over the next 5 or 6 years I built 8 or 10 steels in my spare time. There were no serial numbers on any of these.

In 1971 I became very busy in a new job, so I had no time to build any guitars, but the itch was still there. In late 1975 I was disenchanted with my hectic job so I started designing and planning a new pedal steel guitar. Serial #1 was completed in early 1976. This guitar made its debut at a Jeff Newman Seminar in Kansas City in March 1976. Jeff played "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" on it, which I still have a copy of on cassette tape. Serial Nos. 2 and 3 were completed shortly thereafter. I had always dreamed of building pedal steel guitars as a livelihood, so in June 1976, against all the advice of my friends and family, I "quit my day job". So, officially June 1976 was the beginning of Zumsteel guitars. BZ"

So there you have it. I don't care how long he's been in business. I'm just thankful that he continues to build a fine guitar that meets my needs and wants. And I hope he does so for a long, long time.

tommyd

[This message was edited by Tommy Dodd on 25 March 2006 at 04:45 PM.]

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 1:21 pm    

I just got my 1st Zum, a 1991 SD-12 that I have set up as 5/5 Ext. E9th. Jim P of Steel Guitars of North County has gone through it for me and it is now apparent to me just what all the Zum players that have posted on here to praise the feel and tone that you get with a Zum have been so excited about. It is so smooth to play as to be almost effortless, but with perfect feedback as far as feeling the machine at work inside.
I've been playing it all morning through my new Nashville 112. I should have to pay someone to have this much fun.
JE:-)>

------------------
Emmons D10 8/4 P/P -75'
Fessenden SD-10 3/5
Zum SD-12 7/5 - 91'
76'Session 400
86'Nashville 400

[This message was edited by Jim Eaton on 25 March 2006 at 01:23 PM.]

Torben Koch

Klarup, Denmark
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 4:12 am    

Happy anniversery Bruce and thankyou for making those fine Zum steelguitars, looking forward to get the new one I have ordered at you -It's a pleasure every day to sit behind my Zum - Great in all

Turbo www.pedalsteel4u.dk

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 5:06 am    

A great builder but just as important a nice guy. Thanks Bruce for your help.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 5:59 am    

I was at that Jeff Newman seminar in KC and Bruce was a real proud papa. He took my friend Victor out to where he was pick'n while we were there.
Congratulations on 30 yrs Bruce, you have a fine product and are a fine person to boot.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 1:41 am    

Happy Anniversary ZumSteel !

http://www.zumsteel.net

i'm the proud owner of a Zum Anniversary D10 January 2006

Thanx Bruce

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 28 March 2006 at 06:27 AM.]

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 10:18 pm    

Hey Crowbear.
That`s a picture (on top) from the Texas convention and it shows my new Hybrid Zum.
It got figured ash on top.

Dag

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 27 March 2006 at 10:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 29 March 2006 at 12:14 PM.]

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2006 5:42 pm    

Hi there Dag --- hope you got that fab new Zum home in one piece, I just got home yesterday from Canada. Really enjoyed spending some time with you and Torre at Dallas - it was a great weekend and I'm looking forward to hearing your views on the new Hybrid !!

And it was great to finally meet Bruce..

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 9:34 am    

Paddy, it was so nice to meet you! Hope we can take a beer together some other time. it sure was fun in Texas.

The Zum arrived in one piece.
I packed the pedal board, rods and legs in my suite case. The steel weighted in at 48lbs.
The new cases seems to be lighter and with just the steel body inside it really light.

Dag

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 30 March 2006 at 09:34 AM.]

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 12:56 pm    

HI Dag - yes I really enjoyed your company in Texas too, we obviously have a lot in common in our approach to the Steel - and we both enjoy a beer and a laugh! ....I'm sure we will do it all again real soon, because I had a ball. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Hybrid.