The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Professional player
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 1:01 pm    

I never thought about myself as pro from 1957 until now. But when I looked back every Saturday night I was playing Lead guitar or Bass guitar and in the last 14 years Pedal steel guitar on a stage, dancehall or someplace with a band.
So I guess that made me Pro.

Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 2:26 pm    

Way to go Paul.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 2:40 pm    

Good to hear from you Ed.

Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 2:55 pm    

I can still fool a few people yet. Glad to see you are doing the same. Laughing It's just that it's so darn hard to fool yourself.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 7:02 pm    

Started playing guitar in the early 60's. I started Lap Steel in 1980 and Pedal Steel in 1982. I guess I would have to say I am A professional musician. I was told years ago, if you are getting paid to play, then you are a professional.!! I am sure glad someone told me that! I would be thinking I wasn't!!!! Played gigs in the thousands! No idea how many times I played live and got paid...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 6:34 am    

Nice Paul !

I don't know if I am a PRO or not, but whatever I am I've been doing it NON stop since around 63 or so. Since retiring from the 40 hour thing 5 years ago, it seems I've turned up the wick as well !

Maybe I'm a Professional Amateur Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 7:19 am    

My old guitar teacher told me in 1959,after my first paying gig, that what makes a professional is the ability to play anything,in any style,in any key.Kinda burst my teenage rock and roll bubble,but sixty years on,it seems like good advice.

EDIT:I've had other jobs,but playing music is the only one where I've ALWAYS looked forward to going to the office! Winking

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:08 am    

I started playing in bands in 1959 while in the Air force (Biloxi, MS). I've worked in many bands and did 7 years touring with Tommy Cash here in Florida, 2 years with George Hamilton IV and one show jobs with others including Jack Greene, Bobby Bare, Tommy Jennings and others. I've never considered myself as being a "Pro" player. My definition of a "Pro" player is one that makes his full living doing it and not one that is a "weekend musician" or a part-time.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:38 am    

Quote:
My definition of a "Pro" player is one that makes his full living doing it and not one that is a "weekend musician" or a part-time.

Of course, the Internal Revenue Service has a different definition!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 2:36 pm    

I've been doing it well over 50 years, but I'm mostly retired now, being well into my '70s. I've probably done close to 10,000 gigs, but the only time that music was all I did was about 9 months that I was on the road with a WWVA (Wheeling Jamboree) star. Other than that brief time, I've always had another job that paid the bills...and then some. Famous? Nope. Great player? Nope. But I still consider myself lucky to have done what I've done, lived this long, and helped a few people along the way.

If my Dad was still around, I think that he'd have said..."Son, you've done alright for yourself." And for me, that's all that matters.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 3:25 pm     Playing

Donny Hinson wrote:
I've been doing it well over 50 years, but I'm mostly retired now, being well into my '70s. I've probably done close to 10,000 gigs, but the only time that music was all I did was about 9 months that I was on the road with a WWVA (Wheeling Jamboree) star. Other than that brief time, I've always had another job that paid the bills...and then some. Famous? Nope. Great player? Nope. But I still consider myself lucky to have done what I've done, lived this long, and helped a few people along the way.

If my Dad was still around, I think that he'd have said..."Son, you've done alright for yourself." And for me, that's all that matters.

Just like Donny same path. First gig 1962. First gig steel 1978. Slow down now 71 years old but still play

P.w

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 1:12 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
My definition of a "Pro" player is one that makes his full living doing it and not one that is a "weekend musician" or a part-time.

What if a musician plays 4 or 5 nights a week and yet still has a day job ? And has for a lifetime because they have a family that wants to eat ?

Question

Are professional Dancers and Actors still professional if they wait tables or sling Hash during the day ?

?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 3:30 am    

Tony, still goes back to my interpretation. If you make your full living as a musician, dancer or whatever I would consider that a "Professional". This doesn't take away from, for example, a musician's technical ability. The guy playing guitar 5 nights a week may be a super picker and could pursue a professional career if he/she wanted.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 3:49 am    

I know what you are saying Jack I'm just the devil here ! Laughing

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 7:05 am    

What if you're a PRO, but only in your mind.
Does that count?
...Just asking for a friend.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 7:36 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
My old guitar teacher told me in 1959,after my first paying gig, that what makes a professional is the ability to play anything,in any style,in any key.

That’s an admirable goal, but there are countless musicians that play music full time and made millions doing it that wouldn’t be considered a Pro by that definition. That might be a better definition of a ‘“master” or something similar...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 7:51 am    

I still think Dave has a point. The definition of a pro player as someone who makes a living entirely from performing is valid but limiting. For one thing it excludes teachers, dealers and others we would surely think of as pros.
Dave's example of someone who has the discipline to practise and deliver the goods describes an attitude which I would call professional, in contrast to the gifted but limited amateur. I'm sure we have all encountered part-timers of both varieties! Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 7:53 am    

Tony Prior wrote:

Are professional Dancers and Actors still professional if they wait tables or sling Hash during the day?

I dunno, maybe they're a professional hash-slinger? I guess it depends on your point of view. The dictionary says this...among other things:
Quote:
engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
"a professional boxer"

I'd guess that "main paid occupation" is probably most people's criteria.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 10:19 am    

Musicians have always been "mavericks",so definitions and classifications have always been somewhat flexible.For a very long time,there were many players who worked a day job and supplemented that income gigging.Those folks weren't exactly full-time pros,but neither were they the sort of hobbyist who pays to play.Were they "part-time pros"?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 1:03 pm    

I’m not too young to remember when “professional” athletes had to work at the Ford plant in the off season to supplement their income. And we all know about those couple of years when Lloyd Green sold shoes. Definitions change as the occupation changes. I’ve heard it suggested that a “Professional” section of the forum might not be a terrible idea, where the players who are out there full time can discuss the issues unique to their world without interruption or sidetracking from the great unwashed masses. The term “professional attitude” should be grokked by anyone and everyone in any occupation at any level.

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 5:42 pm     Warning - Union content

Not going to be popular among the average Forumites but here it is.

If you're in the Plumber's Union you're a professional plumber.

If you're in the Screen Actor's Guild you're a professional actor.

If you're in the American Federation of Musicians you're a professional musician.

Or not.

BTW, every single golden era player you revere is (was) in the Musician's Union.