The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Brocius - Hudson Valley Legend
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 6:48 am    

My friend of 48 yrs., Bob Brocius passed away early Sunday morning, 1/19/20. He had been battling a very long illness.

Back in the early '70s, Bob was very influential to many local players starting out on the pedal steel guitar. There weren't any instructional materials available but Bob was always willing to help folks out. He was the dominant player in the region and always had a great, up-front sound along with great and tasteful playing. A big Lloyd Green fan, Bob was known by many as "the Lloyd Green of The Hudson Valley."

I'm saddened in the loss of my friend. Praise God, Bob had accepted The Lord Jesus in his final months. That makes me very happy..!! Bob's illness is behind him now and he's in the best place he could be,,, with our Lord....

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 8:56 am    

Sometime in about 1972 my steel guitar friend and mentor Chris Middaugh took me to a little baseball field in Kingston N.Y. to hear Bob play with the "Country Cousins"in between songs Chris went up to Bob with a request,Bob sang 15years ago like Conway,and played like Lloyd Green...it was an OMG moment for me in the next few months I found myself in Bob's little steel guitar shop attached to his house along with Fooch Fishetti,Bob would teach us licks and sell us Sho-Bud strings...A few weeks ago me and Fooch went to visit Bob at the long care facility,Chris"Tiny Olson"told us where we could find him...Godspeed Bob!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 2:00 pm    

I am sorry to hear of Bob's passing. A few years back he used to sit in with my band. He invited me down to his home near Kingston and showed me several useful things about E9 playing. I had lost touch with him. I tried to call him a few times in the past year or two but got no answer. He was a good player.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 12:00 pm    

Very sorry to hear this also. I didn't know Bob as well as all the others, but, everytime I met him he was very nice to talk to and always a gentleman. He was very proud of his " Patriot Blue" D-10 ZumSteel. He'll be missed by many.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 10:54 am    

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 3:57 pm    

Thanks for posting the photo Stu. That's Bob playing his most recent ZumSteel. Split-front design with honey maple, Patriot blue and pearl inlay. 9 pedals / 8 knee levers and True Tone single coils. Bob still had this guitar at the time of his passing.

The Patriot Blue ZumSteel John mentioned was a 2000 model year guitar and had 8 & 8. Bob special ordered the color for Bruce to use when building the guitar. It was an awesome, blue color. Bob sold that guitar a few years after he got the one in the photo Stu submitted. It went to Wyoming and has since moved on again I believe.

For those wondering, there will be no services for Bob. This was apparently his wish.

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 8:56 am     Bob Brocius

Wow, I sure didn't expect to read this today. I met Bob years ago and have had many conversations with him since then. I thought very highly of Bob and have heard many great recordings of him picking thru the years. I know of quite a few players that credit Bob with guiding them on steel guitar and I'm sure going to miss talking to him. RIP my friend ......

Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 10:46 am    

very sorry to hear this- I met Bob a number of times when I lived near Kingston, always a very friendly and open guy. I guess he was ill for quite a few years. A terrific player and real fine gent.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 3:10 pm    

Very sorry to see this Tiny.
I know you and Bob were good friends and I would like to offer up my condolences and prayers to and his family.
Tommy Shown