The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First live gig with a Lapsteel
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 5:24 am    

My primary instrument is standard guitar but the lap steel has become a close second. I've owned a lap steel since 1981 but didn't get serious about it until I had hand surgery a bunch of years ago that caused me to turn more towards the steel. That said I FINALLY got the opportunity to play live in front of a crowd of 750 last Saturday and I have to say it was an absolute blast!. The crowd LOVED the lap steel and I received a lot more comments about it from folks in the audience than I did about the other guitars I played. I suspect I will be invited to play the steel more in the future and I was also asked if I was interested in doing some studio work. All this was not expected so I'm totally geeked. I want to thank you all for all of the information I've received from scouring these threads which has helped me become a better player.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 5:46 am    

Excellent! Great pic, too!

Where in MI are you, Mark? Is this a band you are in, or were you just "sitting in?" Either way, it's nice to see other steel players getting out in front of people! Give me some info, and maybe I'll come check you out, sometime soon.

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 8:11 am    

I live in Utica and the gig was at the Royalty House banquet facility in Warren where I was a guest artist and played with the house band on 11 songs. I don't play out much but I will post or PM you when something comes up. Also, the show was video taped so I can post something once they are available if anyone is interested.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 9:34 am    

When I was a kid in the early 60s steel guitar was everywhere. Everyone knew what a steel guitar was - my first exposure was seeing Buddy Merrill on the Lawrence Welk Show. You would see it on the Jimmy Dean Show or Porter Wagoner, etc, and it was all over country radio.

It's not the same for modern audiences. They are not familiar with steel guitar and to them it's something new and exciting. I guarantee as you play out more, you'll frequently hear "What is that thing?" or "Nice slide man!". Enjoy your new celebrity - it's part of the fun of being a steel player!

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 9:55 am    

Yeah, even the stage manager wasn't familiar. He asked me why I was standing up. "Don't pedal steel players usually sit when they play?" I had to explain the difference between the two. It's all good though. I actually like the fact that the lap steel is lesser known because it's difficult to stand out playing standard guitar since every other guy plays guitar. When I play lap steel I'm filling a niche that no one else in my circle of musical acquaintances plays.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 10:15 am    

Is there a video? What kind of steel are you playing? What is the name of the band?

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 11:33 am    

Bill, the videos aren't available yet. The house band was assembled for this event and featured 10 guest artists so it doesn't have a name. The steel I played is nothing special and is an early Rondo that I gutted and refinished, installed new hardware and electronics. I routed it for two humbuckers and currently has two Bill Lawrence L500 rail pickups installed. I mentioned early because at one time they came with a nice 5-latch HSC and could get a separate 4-leg stand as apposed to the screw in legs that they use now.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 11:40 am    

Thanks Mark. Please post the video when available. Looks like you all had a good time.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 7:44 am    

Can’t wait to check out the vids, Mark! When people ask “What is that thing,” we call it “the electric snack table.”
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 9:00 am    

Congratulations! I hope this is the first step of many.

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 10:21 am    

Ok, I have a video of the first song I did with the lap steel that someone took with a phone. I had the jitters playing in front of a large crowd so I hope you don't mind some bad intonation and a few sour notes Sad

Drown in My Own Tears by Ray Charles but done in the style of Derek Trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFU-rY53D4o

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 1:26 pm    

Nice job Mark....couldn't see your knees shaking from here! Whoa!

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 3:53 pm    

Great job, Mark! Really liked your playing. I dig your tone, and you’re playing with a lot of emotion. And that Jim P is an awesome vocalist!

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2020 7:58 am    

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. The backline amp I was using is a Twin and the sound guys wouldn't let me turn up the volume past 2 so the tone could have been better because that amp doesn't really open up until the volume is past 3 (IMO). I had to stack two dirt pedals to get that tone Smile

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2020 8:11 am    

Peter Jacobs wrote:
When people ask “What is that thing,” we call it “the electric snack table.”

The cowboy who was the front man in the band I was in during the middle of the second half of the last century called my D-10 an electric cheese slicer.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2020 8:46 am    

Laughing Laughing Laughing

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2020 10:32 am    

Unreal, Jack! I was wearing my "Man of Steel" t-shirt (shows a pedal steel) on the tennis court one day, and I asked one of the guys (prob 28 y.o.) what he thought that thing is. He answered, "Cheese grater?"
Does this mean that steel players are generally perceived as cheesy??