The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  for fans of NRPS/Jerry Garcia
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2019 4:09 pm    

new release from the archives of Owsley Stanley, Dawn of the New Riders of the Purple Sage. it's 5 discs of previously unreleased live recordings from various Bay Area venues spanning August '69 to June '70.

just got mine in the mail, the playing is about what you'd expect... Jerry was just getting serious about playing pedal steel and co-founded the New Riders for that reason. the enthusiasm is definitely there with Bob Weir sitting in on several songs. there's lots of country classics I hadn't heard them do before, and Jerry even explains how the pedal steel works on one of the tracks.

not for everyone, but a real treat for the hardcore heads Cool

https://owsleystanleyfoundation.org/bears-sonic-journals/dawn-of-the-new-riders-of-the-purple-sage/

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2019 4:50 pm    

I have heard a lot of very early underground unreleased NRPS stuff over the decades, much of it while Jerry was just getting started on the steel.. Early on, he used this band to get his steel chops up to snuff... NRPS is one of my all time favorite bands, but wow, that real early stuff was pretty hard to listen to much of the time.. Especially since the production quality wasn't usually very good.. Out of tune guitars, steel, and voices.. The band was a lot more polished by the time Garcia left and Cage arrived..

It was a win win for both .. Jerry became a much better steel player because of the band, and the band got a "real" pedal steel player that fit like a glove in Buddy Cage, and were a lot more polished themselves.
NRPS went on to bigger and better things, and jerry got to do some seriously high level studio work on steel with other top acts of the day, that got him some notice within the country rock steel guitar community.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Michael Kessel

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 12:11 pm     Garcia

I know that most PSG junkies consider Garcia as a mediocre player, but most don't know that he purchased his rig in mid April 1969. Which means that he was out gigging with it less than FOUR months later! Not long after that, he was in the studio. According to his wife, he would put in hours upon hours of practice on the instrument - and that kind of dedication isn't something to just be shoved off as mediocre. What he lacked in terms of licks, he made up for in sonic ambience. (He learned some of those tricks from Pete Kleinow.)

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 5:52 pm     Re: Garcia

Michael Kessel wrote:
I know that most PSG junkies consider Garcia as a mediocre player, but most don't know that he purchased his rig in mid April 1969. Which means that he was out gigging with it less than FOUR months later! Not long after that, he was in the studio. According to his wife, he would put in hours upon hours of practice on the instrument - and that kind of dedication isn't something to just be shoved off as mediocre. What he lacked in terms of licks, he made up for in sonic ambience. (He learned some of those tricks from Pete Kleinow.)

Not to me he's not mediocre,, never was.. Guy just exuded music from deep in his soul and brought it forth.. No great technician on any instrument he played, but he sure sounded good on everything he did. Everything fit , No matter if it was guitar/Banjo/Steel/voice. It was natural, and he made it seem effortless.... bob

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 7:37 am    

Jerry had a Fender pedal steel as early as '67, you can see it in film and photos from the house at 710 Ashbury. but it does appear that Sneaky Pete inspired Jerry to really dive into it after the Dead played a show with the Flying Burrito Bros in April '69.

while not the most technically proficient player, the parts Jerry added to the Workingmans and American Beauty albums and more were very well conceived and executed. just perfect for those records. ironically, the studio rather than the stage is where his steel playing really shined while the opposite could be said of his guitar playing and the Dead in general

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 4:31 pm    

Alright Scott, you talked me in to it. Literally just put CD 1 on the player. Great sound quality. I'm obviously a fan of New Riders as this is not an inexpensive set. I wanted to see how Jerry was approaching pedal steel early on. Even at that stage was wondering how he learned. Was someone teaching him?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 12:42 pm    

I thought $40 was quite reasonable for a 5-disc set with nice packaging and liner notes.

I don't know much about Jerry's learning methods, only that everyone around him at that time says he was basically obsessed with pedal steel and spent many many hours with it.

I also know that he and Pete Grant were friends who both got bitten by the steel bug around the same time. pretty sure Pete is still a member here, perhaps he will chime in with some info Smile

here's a memorial to Jerry on Pete's website:
http://petegrant.com/garcia/

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 1:40 pm    

That was cool. thanks for posting! I'll never forget seeing Jerry play both sets: pedal with NRPS and his 'darkstarness' with the Dead at the Hollywood bowl in, I think, 1971. . . .long time ago. . . .

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 1:48 pm    

Scott, lately I've become interested in a 2 man group called Mapache (means raccoon in Spanish). They're a sort of a cross between Brewer & Shipley, The Dead and New Riders. Look like a pair of young hippie deadheads. They're mostly acoustic based but one of the guitar players is perfectly capable of playing Jerry's lead style. They're also capable of extremely tight harmony singing. One of my favorite all time New Riders songs is "Lonesome LA Cowboy". They decided to cover it in a live (well maybe) sort of party atmosphere. What was interesting was they added a steel player. Some nice shots of an old Shobud single neck. The player was obviously at a very early stage and I'm just fine with that. But what is interesting to me is comparing this to Jerry at an early stage in his playing with New Riders. Jerry is already absolutely ripping it up!!! Many years ago someone made a funny but simultaneously accurate description of Jerry's tone on the steel. He said it somehow sounded like wading through warm oatmeal! Here is the link to that Mapache video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q-ZJV6kQQ

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 8:49 am    

Ronald Ballister wrote:
But what is interesting to me is comparing this to Jerry at an early stage in his playing with New Riders. Jerry is already absolutely ripping it up!!! Many years ago someone made a funny but simultaneously accurate description of Jerry's tone on the steel. He said it somehow sounded like wading through warm oatmeal! Here is the link to that Mapache video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q-ZJV6kQQ

The pleasure center of my brain lit up when I heard the tone the player was getting out of that Sho-Bud. Warm honey, maybe? On top of oatmeal? I'm still chasing that sound.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 5:36 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Ronald Ballister wrote:
But what is interesting to me is comparing this to Jerry at an early stage in his playing with New Riders. Jerry is already absolutely ripping it up!!! Many years ago someone made a funny but simultaneously accurate description of Jerry's tone on the steel. He said it somehow sounded like wading through warm oatmeal! Here is the link to that Mapache video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q-ZJV6kQQ

The pleasure center of my brain lit up when I heard the tone the player was getting out of that Sho-Bud. Warm honey, maybe? On top of oatmeal? I'm still chasing that sound.

Easy to get that sound .. Use a Fender tube amp, and a good wood body, wood neck pedal steel guitar with pickups that are not wound to 20 K like so many today are..

If you like that sound, and want to retain a more modern, thicker sound as well, get a good single coil pickup made with a coil tap.. One winding at say 18K, and the other at 12 or 12.5.. Quite a few of todays players mention how they love the traditional sound but can't achieve it. The equipment used has changed.. 400 watt SS amps, 20K humbucking pickups, digital processors, Neo speakers, active volume pedals, etc,, all good stuff, but all the old timers that made so many great pedal steel sounds, plugged a pedal steel into a potentiometer type volume pedal, and then into a tube amp with Jensen or JBL speakers and called it good. And it WAS good... bob

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 28 Jan 2020 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 8:29 am    

Agree with Bob C. Chasing the sound of 40-50 year-old records with modern equipment is futile. Especially with all the gadgets, doodads, and bells and whistles many steel players seem convinced they need in their signal path nowadays. Often times, less is more. Especially if recreating that vintage sound is the ultimate objective.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 11:20 am    

It appears to be on youtube, for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lvEndUGUD86B4R9ZRvXyTuHD5DTAKAIEI

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 12:50 pm    

Andy Henriksen wrote:
It appears to be on youtube, for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lvEndUGUD86B4R9ZRvXyTuHD5DTAKAIEI

Thanks for the link!

Yikes.. pretty awful.
God bless em, some of my favorite musicians/singers of all time, but at this early juncture NRPS were quite bad. Jerry was just getting started on steel and sounded like it.

A scant year or so later, Teach Your Children was recorded, and the improvements in Jerry's playing were obvious , and then Buddy Cage joined NRPS and defined their sound for several albums afterward... bob

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 6:45 am    

Some of the performances are pretty rugged but still interesting to hear the performances evolve.
Taking Bob's point, if you want to sound like a pedal steel guitarist from 50 years
ago play through the same equipment they did. But there is something weirdly unique about Jerry's tone which he seemed to have from day one. I could pick him out from a crowd of his contemporaries immediately. Don't know what it is, maybe you guys do.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 10:35 am    

Always thought Jerry's playing on NRPS was very light & airy. Kinda like frost on a West Virginia morning.
Anyone who thinks he ain't a good player should listen to "Dire Wolf" from "Workingman's Dead. 33 years later & I STILL can't nail that sound.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 11:52 am    

Rich, We both have Mosrites! A very small club.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 12:09 pm    

Ronald Ballister wrote:
Rich, We both have Mosrites! A very small club.

Yea; I love mine. It's almost mint, '65. Also have a Hallmark Custom 60, which is a Mosrite clone.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 12:23 pm    

We probably own them for the same reason, The Ventures go me started playing guitar. Either during one of Semie's business failures or after his death a lot of the parts were sold to someone in Canada. They were assembled there and sold to a retailer in the US. Sorry to all for the brief subject diversion. Back to Jerry and his steel.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2020 9:44 am    

Ronald Ballister wrote:
Some of the performances are pretty rugged but still interesting to hear the performances evolve.
Taking Bob's point, if you want to sound like a pedal steel guitarist from 50 years
ago play through the same equipment they did. But there is something weirdly unique about Jerry's tone which he seemed to have from day one. I could pick him out from a crowd of his contemporaries immediately. Don't know what it is, maybe you guys do.

He certainly had a unique sound and touch.. One of the first to use an envelope filter on pedal steel and make it work.. Listen to this example.. VERY musical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q561cqwTgY

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2020 11:49 pm    

Thanks Bob Carlucci. I forgot about this one.