The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Freeloader, Sarno Black Box or Match box 7A?
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 3:22 pm    

Playing my Justice 3/5 ProLite through a BOSS Katana 100 for a bit less than three years now. I’ve dialed in settings that I’m very happy with with, but, higher strings above the 8th fret or so are still too brittle. Overall, I and my musician friends, love my tone but I need to fix the upper register. Recommendations regarding the subject or other comments would be appreciated. I’ve checked out all comments on the subject just looking for more info.
BTW my Justice ProLite is a dream, playing out at least once a week up here on the Southern Coast of Maine.
Bruce

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 4:53 pm    

I have a Sarno Black Box. When I use it with my Peavey Sessions 400, the Black Box really warms up the tone and adds a subtle tube harmonic to the sound. There is not a huge difference. It can be something subtle. However, when I take the Black Box out of the signal chain, I really miss it.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 5:18 pm     Black Box etc.

I have all three, [Black Box, Freeloader, and Matchbox 7A.] All of them do a great job to control the highs. At home I use the Black Box because it adds a little warmth to my solid sate amps and has a tuner out for my Peterson tuner. However, when I play out, which isn't often now, I would take the Freeloader or Matchbox 7A due to either one being more portable than the BB. The Matchbox has a volume boost as well as the tone control that the Freeloader has. Since I bought a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb last month, the "warm" feature of the Black Box is less significant since the Tone Master although not a tube amp, has the warmth of a typical Fender tube twin.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 7:10 am    

I’ve tried all three. I like the Freeloader the best. It is the easiest to use and has the smallest package. Combined with its long battery life, just makes it a hit for me.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 9:59 am    

I like the Matchbox what with the volume and tone controls. Very Happy
Erv

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 3:12 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I like the Matchbox what with the volume and tone controls. Very Happy
Erv

+1

Bill

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 8:19 am    

Bill,
Yes, I was playing last night and it sure is handy to just reach down and be able to adjust tone and volume without having to stretch back to the amp. Very Happy
Erv

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 10:07 am     Sarno Free Loader, Sarno Black Box. or Goodrich 7A

I have a Black Box with the variable Z. I was havmng an issue with an amp that was just too bright. Brad suggested the Free Loader or the Black Box. He said the Free Loader and the variable Z in the Black Box are one in the same. The Black Box is a tube buffer.I went with the Black Box and it has worked out great. The Variable Z gives me the tone control I needed and the Black Box tube smooths out my highs so they don't sound clangy.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 1:18 pm    

Thanks for a'll your input, got a freeloader today, it does what I was looking for plus it's very convenient.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 5:43 pm    

I love my Sarno FreeLoader. That knob is way more than just a tone control.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat