The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Melodic patterns
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 7:19 am    

Improvising and coming up with something new is at times hard to do at least for me it is however using arpeggios and melodic patterns can be a waking experience like why didn't I think of that before , well ive played it on a 6 string guitar so why not on this steel with 14 strings bingo a light goes on . It can be done , I spent about 10 hours yesterday doing nothing but this pedal steel guitar I usually do a couple hours a day anyway. what im getting at here is using patterns and arpeggios to make melodies or improvising , Also learning to read on the pedal steel so I know where im at all this along with chord subs makes for some interesting music , The regular c f and g dosent cut it anymore I want something more something new ,its all fun difficult at times but fun. Hummm now what string was that I just played Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 7:53 am    

You must be reading my mail, Russell. I opened up my Ted Greene guitar book yesterday to the section on melodic patterns, and then to a section on “playing through changes”, which is arpeggio-oriented. It all transfers to E9, with some plotting and planning.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 10:32 am    

great minds think alike Fred lol Very Happy

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 3:24 pm    

There'a few books you could look at, they're theory books but practical, not for people studying composition at Julliard. These are commonly found in public libraries but if not you can read amazon reviews and decide to buy or not

Chad Johnson: "Guitarist's Guide to Scales Over Chords: Melodic Soloing"

Serna "Guitar Theory"

Wyatt/Schroeder "Harmony and Theory"

Jack Hatfield "How Play by Ear"