The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen HWP [pre-rp] v. G2 tone ?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:30 am    

Would like some tone comparisons/differences between the HWP model, which is essentially the Pre RP model, say 90s era, Mullen v. the G2 model of Mullen guitar.

I've owned 3 or 4 of the Pre-RP models, one of which was the best sounding guitar ever, but never had the opportunity to get any real seat time with the G2.

I know some of you have played both models of guitars and would appreciate your comments regarding just these 2 models. Not really interested in info concerning the Royal at this time. Thanks.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 3:32 pm    

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT TOO JERRY. I STILL HAVE THE PRE RP THAT I BOUGHT IN 95 BUT IV'E NEVER GOT TO SIT BEHIND A G2 YET.BUMMER!

Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 4:14 am    

Jerry,I've had both, actually 3 different prp's
And a 2014 G2.I'd have to say the G2 played slightly smoother of the two but tone wise I thought the prp's were slightly better tone wise.That being said the difference were so slight I could not really pick o ne over the other.like I always say Merle Haggard never made a bad song and Mullen never made a bad Guitar!!

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 5:37 am    

I owned all three until recently, Pre-RP,RP and a G2. The G2 has the edge on the smoothness even if it is slight but I would have to say the Pre-RP had the edge on tone. I sold the Pre-RP (like a dummy) to Lloyd Maines. It had a 705 P/U and sounded the best of all. I have a 206 Telonics in the G2 and it is good. The RP has a stock P/U and I use it in the studio 99% of the time. IMHO

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 7:38 am    

My HWP sounds awesome, but never played a G2.
I guess it depends on the amp, too.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 7:53 am    

Thanks. Yeah, I have no doubt both play superbly. I'm just looking for some input concerning sound characteristics of these two models.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 8:38 am     Im curious as to why there are so many Mullen RPs and Pre RP

Why are there so many Mullen RP and Pre RP guitars getting essentially "dumped" on the forum? Ive never played a Mullen, am I wrong if I think they are about the same as a Carter? I had three Carters in my life, and they were nice.
I just bought a Mullen RP with 9x9 from a fellow in Florida and I got a REALLY good deal on it.
I've heard Tommy White playing on one and it sounds really good.
Just curious as to why there is a glut of Mullens on the market at discount prices.
Tab

Play nice.

They is none else.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 10:19 am    

It's logical I would think the more production numbers of guitars a company produces would translate to more being sold on the used Market and Mullen is a pretty big operation as far as Carter's, I don't think they are even in the same league as Mullen. Maybe tone, but in terms of reliability I've heard about a lot of issues with breakage

Sam Werbalowsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 10:57 am    

Wondering the same thin about the dump-offs...I just got a Royal Precision and it plays really easy. The only thing I'm not crazy about it using additional rods over split screws for the splits, but that is really minor on the guitar.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 7:09 pm    

I explain the "dump off" (and many sales) this way - There are players who are very quick to blame the guitar when they don't sound good. But most of the time, the biggest problem is between the seat and the steel. Confused

Larry Custer

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 8:19 pm     Hwp g2

I have 2 mullen HWP g2,one mica and other lacquered. If you look at undercarriage they are not straight, they are bended like step down your E9 neck is a little higher then C6 neck so cross shaft are bend to contour necks if you understand what I mean. I love my HWP G2.