The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dave Forehand (Knight)
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 8:26 pm    

I found out from Bill Rudolph that Dave Forehand (stage name Knight) passed away on January 11th. Dave was a monster player and gave lessons to many of us newbies back in the 70's in the Minneapolis area. He was heavily influenced by Curly Chalker and Buddy Emmons. I'm sure all Twin Cities players have fond memories of Dave.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 5:03 am    

Dave Knight was an unbelievable steel player and an inspiration to me when I was first getting acquainted with the instrument. If there was anyone in the Twin Cities who could cut him on the C6 neck, I never heard them. A legendary player and a really nice guy.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 9:03 pm    

Agreed on all that's been said. Spent a lot of nights digging Dave's playing at The Flame and The 'Pad.
He was a great guy to boot.
Dave helped me immeasurably back then, playing-wise and referring gigs to me. Wouldn't have got near anywhere without his frienship and mentoring. My condolences to his family and friends.
RIP my buddy. MC

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 10:14 am    

You're right Mike and Jack. Dave took a back seat to no-one. I've heard a lot of stories about the old Flame and all the Country acts but unfortunately that was just a little before my time. I've heard many stories from Clem, Dave, and Bill Rudolph about all the greats playing there. Hal Rugg apparently played there for quite along time. I think Dave also lived in California prior to moving to Minneapolis, and then I know he moved to Clinton Missouri and spent the remainder of his life there. As a greenhorn, he was quite intimidating to watch.