The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It takes time
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 7:15 pm    

learning a song from a tab is a slow process for me however taking it measure by measure note by note approach seems to work for me , knowing how the song is supposed to sound helps a great deal also , that way you know pretty much the timing also , you got it in your head now to get it in your hands. anyone got any ideas about this ? I can read music on a 6 string guitar but im still new at the steel as far as reading music goes , oh I know the notes but where to get them on the steel is a different game .Ideas anyone ?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 7:26 pm    

You might find this interesting: Thinking In Intervals

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 7:45 pm    

John , thank you ill give that some serious thought and look see . I guess its all like on a reg 6 string just finding those road maps and knowing what they are .

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 2:06 am    

Hi Russ,

I have the same difficulty, although I'm slowly getting better. I also play bass, and I can sight-read on that just fine. All the notes are sitting there on the neck and you just put your finger on the one you want, like it's four keyboards lying side by side, staggered in a two-dimensional array.

But the PSG is three-dimensional, with a new layer for each pedal/lever combination - that's a lot of layers - no wonder it takes time to learn!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:24 am    

It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Joe Wright says to break down every phrase and every lick into the smallest movements and analyze how you are playing them. Start with two notes. Pick, slide, bend, add vibrato, whatever - just make sure you are playing it the way you want it to sound, and playing it with the most efficient physical technique. Then see how it fits with the next part of the phrase.

I like your “3-dimensional” description, Ian. That covers it.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:37 am    

I thought Steve Morse, virtuoso 6 string guitarist, had a great tip. If you're having trouble with a particular portion of a tune...even just a few tricky measures, DON'T keep playing the tune from the beginning where the difficult part will get minimal attention and you're beating to death what you already have learned. Concentrate on just the part you're having trouble with and play it over and over until you get it. Now you're ready to take it from the top.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 9:51 am    

Jamie Andreas is a guitar instructor who calls her method perfect practice. She focuses on 2 areas:
One is approach. Slow is good. Play slow enough that you make no mistakes. If you are making mistakes you are playing to fast.Break pieces into parts that are easily manageable. Isolate problem areas, then back up and play into the problem area. Her logic is unlearning mistakes and bad habits takes longer than learning them right the first time. Once committed to muscle memory it is hard to undo. The other area is stress in your body. If your experiencing stress in your body during practice, it will impede your progress. If your hands, shoulders, back, are stiff, sore, or you are having physical difficulty playing, this something to consider. These ideas can be applied to playing any instrument. She has a web site that is worth looking at.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 4:29 pm    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
Jamie Andreas is a guitar instructor who calls her method perfect practice.

Another Disciple 😎
If I hadn’t followed Jamie Andreas’ method I probably would not be playing guitar today. My technique was crippling me after 30 years of abusing my instruments. Learning how to practice correctly saved my hands and made me a much better player. While the exercises in the method are guitar-specific, the principles and concepts can definitely be applied to pedal steel.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 5:37 pm    

My trombone teacher told me simply "Don't practice stuff you can play".

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:01 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
My trombone teacher told me simply "Don't practice stuff you can play".

You know. . .that is the problem with my lazy practicing.
Comfort mindless licks.

Good advice Ian.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:33 pm    

So, I guess I should be practicing everything...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 12:32 am    

Laughing