The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Computer
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 3:01 pm    

I just want to brag a little bit about my new toy. But first a little background to help you understand why I'm so excited.

Like many here I have a long history with computers going all the way back to assembling, with others, a kit computer as a class project in 1977. Because work provided me with a computer I haven't had the need or desire for a new personal computer since the early 2000s.

My desktop is a single core Celeron based computer I assembled from excess computer components that runs 32 bit Windows XP Home. I am the fourth user of this hand-me-down i3 laptop running 64 bit Windows 7 Home. So a new off-the-shelf computer is quite the deal for me. After much research and waiting for the right time and price I found a solution for me that I think will fulfill my computer needs as far as I can see in the future. So, here we go!

Dell Inspirion 3670 built September, 2019.
Mid tower case
290 Watt power supply
Intel Gen 8 i7-8700 cpu
256 GB Samsung M2 PCI-E solid state primary storage
4 TB Western Digital Black Label (Add on)
12 GB 2666 Mhz DDR4 ram
Hitachi 8X Blu-ray DVD reader / burner
Bluetooth module

I purchased the unit as an open box special from BestBuy Thanksgiving weekend.

I've performed several clean installs of build 1909 Windows 10 Home setting up and getting use to the operating system.

I've been loading drivers and software and getting use to Windows 10. The biggest surprise so far is Dell included the hard drive data cable and routed the hard drive cables even though one was not installed.

I'm taking my time and having fun learning about the computer and Windows 10.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 4:28 pm    

Be cautious about adding any more plug-in cards or hard disks. A 290 Watt power supply is barely adequate to run the factory supplied hardware. A gaming video card could bring that power supply to its knees. As is it will likely produce a lot of heat, so keep the vents clean and leave plenty of room for the hot air to exhaust out the back.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 6:09 pm     Thanks For The Warnings

Thanks for the reminders Wiz.

Presently I have no desire to expand. That's the reason I purchased the 4 TB hard drive up front. Part of the my bargain with my wife was I'd get what I want now and not add on later.

I don't do any graphics or video media stuff and have Windows set for the most basic of displays. My music programs have low demand graphic interfaces so the builtin motherboard graphics should be fine. If not I'll pick up a very basic graphics card.

I'm not afraid to open up a computer and clean out the dust. I still have my portable vacuum with ESD protection. The only bad thing is it's a lot harder to get down close to the floor than it use to be; my knees are shot!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 3:22 am    

I do support on the Dell community forums.
Not a bad PC for a DAW system. As Wiz notes the power supply is only "adequate" and typical of what Dell installs - adequate for how it was built but not for add ons. Have to be careful on power supply upgrades as Dell is using an 8 pin power connector instead of the common 24 pin on many new builds. The front panel connectors are proprietary and undocumented. All the fans, the case fan(s) and CPU cooler fan are proprietary and have an additional connection that must be detected by the BIOS. Standard ATX fans can be used but you will always get a fan failure notice during the POST (Power On Self Test) and have to press an F key to boot up.

I have a friend in Nashville using a Dell 8930 with ProTools in a big recording studio there and he loves it, stock no changes.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 9:50 am     Liking It So Far

Jack,

Thanks for reading. So far I'm liking the computer. I'm still getting use to Windows 10 build 1909.

A 400 watt power supply is available from both Dell and New Egg. I was surprised to discover the power supply is less expensive from Dell than New Egg.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 10:20 am     Re: Liking It So Far

Jim Fogle wrote:
Jack,

Thanks for reading. So far I'm liking the computer. I'm still getting use to Windows 10 build 1909.

A 400 watt power supply is available from both Dell and New Egg. I was surprised to discover the power supply is less expensive from Dell than New Egg.

Make sure it is listed as compatible with your model and ticket number.

Any future add-in cards must be short enough to fit inside the case. This especially comes into play with video cards [1], [2], [3].
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 5:21 pm    

Wiz,

According to Dell website and the parts manual the 400 watt power supply works in the Inspirion 3670 case. But I know from past experience that what is said versus what actually works can be two different things. Hopefully by the time a new power supply is needed more choices will be available.

Jack brought up a point I overlooked. I did not think to look for connector pin outs until he mentioned it. The service manual does not include pin outs. Oops!

The case is a standard size mid tower. It actually is a little bigger than my early 2000 Inspiron mid tower case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 3:13 am    

If at some point you decide on a larger ATX power supply (not a Dell) only use a fully modular power supply. This eliminates the unused cables that must be stuffed into the case.

On a Dell, the power supplies that are supplied with a new PC only have the needed cables and possibly a power connector for an add on hard drive and nothing more. Two different versions of a model (e.g. options that are added at time its purchased such as an upgraded video card) can have different part number power supplies. Thus its better to buy a non-Dell branded power supply as an upgrade since you will have connectors for whatever you want.

But, the system you purchased should work fine for a DAW without any upgrades.