The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12th fret 'phase-y' sound
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 7:58 pm    

When I chord at the 12th fret I get this sort of phasey chorus - hard to explain.

Only at that fret...

Any idea as to where this is coming from?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 8:33 pm    

there are several posts about this phenomenon. It has to do with natural harmonics at the 12th fret which is the center division of the guitar scale. Good muting behind the bar with the trailing fingers will help with this.

Here's one thread about that. If you search around the forum you should find more.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=180231&highlight=overtones+twelfth+fret

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 8:42 pm    

Now I see --- I didn't know what I was looking for... it's all left hand thank you

Franklin

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 3:42 am    

Lift your fingers from behind the bar at fret 12 then at 7....Now reach to the left side of the bar or behind the bar as some say and pick the strings....Those are your natural overtones or harmonic positions for the key center of the instrument. When you play at those frets all fingers must rest on the strings or else a phasing sound happens....Its those overtones ringing and blending with the natural tones.....

Dampen the overtones is the only thing you can do....I have found the better a guitar sustains the more overtones it produces.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 8:38 am    

It goes without saying, so I’ll say it. If you use the phasing effect intentionally, it is not a mistake. Any strummable chord can sound spacey cool, like a natural chorusing, picked on both sides of the bar at fret 12 and 7, as long as your bar placement is very accurate.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 10:37 am    

On my emci this is very prominent. Emmons legrande skh I used to own had this as well.
Control of the harmonics is crucial in keeping the tone. It took me awhile to get used to this condition but is the mark of a very precise scale length. As Fred pointed out, the sound behind the bar is very spacious and can be used for some unique sounds. I’ve had others ask how I make those sounds. In some cases it is a bit distracting even. Indeed one of the sacred mysteries of the instrument.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 2:32 pm    

I play in E and A so much I tuned down to Eb as my open tuning.
This gets you off the Harmonic nodes, and you can slide down to E and A at fret 1.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 4:31 pm    

If you're hearing anything like the intro and playing on the song below, it comes from not properly muting the strings behind the bar! On this song, it was intentional, and played (I believe) by Lloyd Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBjfaxAQNjc

`

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 9:36 pm    

Thanks Donny, I was thinking about that song, Since I read this post last night. Could not remember the name or group. I could remember it was about a baby and getting up in the middle of the night. That was popular about early 1966 when my first son was born. Thanks for posting it.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 12:13 pm     Harmonics

If you wanna hear some harmonics listen to some of Victor Wootens bass solo's...my 2 big hero's ...Paul & Victor...I'd like to see an album of them collaborating.

Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 11:44 am     Best Example I know

This recording of Rhythm Of The Rain by Pat Roberts on DOT Records from 1972 features Pete Drake using the “behind The Bar” technique. Done in F# with a key change to G, he used a kapo of sorts. I played in Pats band and had to do this every show. I used a glass test tube under the strings at the 14 fret and held the bar at the 2nd and picked in between the two. Then moved the kapo up to 15 at the key change.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSRUnSKUU0