The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Charge for recording pedal steel tracks?
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 11:38 am    

I'm getting leads from local artists for recording pedal steel tracks. Sessions would probably be 2 to 3 hours in local studios (20 - 40 minute drive).

I'm really unsure what rate to ask. As a part-timer this is for my own enjoyment. It's less hassle and more fun than the a bar gig. But it's certainly worth something, and giving it away would be a disservice to other players.

Please chime in with your experience and opinions. I need some advice. Thanks!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 12:40 pm    

$50 per song. That's cheap, but then I'm a nobody, and I'm not in an area known for hit songs.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 2:54 pm    

I asked for $50 once and they gave me $100.
Now I ask for $100

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 2:59 pm    

I ask $100 for the 1st song on the session and $85 for each additional song on the same session. If we come back tomorrow, we start over at $100 (it's kinda like a one-time $15/day 'travel and setup fee')

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 13 Jan 2020 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 5:36 pm    

$50 per song is a good minimum,if you're playing to pre-recorded tracks,which is what happens a lot of the time.More,if the whole band is laying the song down all at once,or if you're a local "name player".

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 12:24 am    

Dan,$50.00 per song is fair,If it's a good friend a cheeseburger,If the person doesn't have any money I usually do it for free,but don't like anyone taking advantage of my kindness.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 5:29 am    

Most of those that I track for are local singer/songwriters. They don't have an endless production account. They go to work and save up a few bucks to record.

Understand who you are tracking for is all I suggest.

My typical rate is $50 per track. I also work 3 hours for $125 and we may complete 2 or 3 tracks. It just depends. I am not the boss at sessions, I just take orders. IF we can float thru 2 or 3 songs great, if we can only get 1 done then maybe thats great as well. It all just depends. Do we understand what they're looking for ? Do they even know what they're looking for ? Too many variables. Some tracks can take 30 minutes, some can take a couple of hours.

Some engineers/producers know exactly what they want, some don't have any notion what-so-ever. You'll know when you get there !

Bottom line I try to work with the local artists because if I don't they will work without me or work with someone else . I really enjoy working with the locals.

I also offer the option to come to me, they can bring a two track and I can plug it into Pro Tools. Generally though they prefer their own studio setting. Over the Net is also an option. "E Session "'
'
hope this helps Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 14 Jan 2020 5:36 am; edited 3 times in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 5:31 am    

Most projects I do are independent self financed and I do most at home on my own rig then upload to Dropbox. I usually say “$50 per cut if I do it at home, $75 if I come to the studio. Which would you prefer?” Usually they go for the cheaper option. I will offer discounts for multiple tracks, like six cuts for $225. It’s fluid depending on other factors.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 7:21 am    

When I used to do it, I got $200-$250 per session. I didn't care if it was one song or ten. I was there to play "a session". I do know players that charge $200 per song, though.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 1:00 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Dan,$50.00 per song is fair,If it's a good friend a cheeseburger,If the person doesn't have any money I usually do it for free,but don't like anyone taking advantage of my kindness.
Stu, that's exactly how I feel.

Dave, I'm a "local NO-NAME player." Very Happy

Guys, thanks for your input. I'm not totally at ease converting my seat time into $$, but I'm getting there. I want to be fairly compensated and exceed the client's expectations.

A local alt-country artist is waiting for a reply. We'll see where it goes.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 1:32 pm    

A subtle point is that when it's strictly business you want to charge enough to establish that (A)your work has value, but that (B) the customer still feels he's gotten his money's worth.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 2:04 pm    

One thing I learned early on in doing sessions was not to charge by the hour. Originally I did that but two things happened:

a) I gave them exactly what they wanted on the first take and went home early, with less money for being so efficient; or

b) I found it hard to give them exactly what they wanted and it took several takes and discussions, and I ended up feeling bad/guilty because I was making more money for not giving them what they wanted!

So, I changed over to charging per song and that has worked out much better.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 8:40 pm    

$75-$100 per song or charge by the hour.