The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  weighing my options...
John Rockefeller

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 7:58 am    

Want to learn to play psg...

Offered in my area is a '82 Emmons double neck push pull' for $3,000.

would that be suitable to start on?
Is that a fair price?

Is there something more suitable?
Would this item have the features found on modern psg?

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 11:31 am    

The Push Pull guitars are legendary for their tone and some will play nothing else but they may be a little to much for a beginner. If you don't have a good Emmons tech or an experienced Push Pull player close to you. You could get in over your head very quickly. As far as the price condition is everything and it takes a lot of experience to just look at a guitar like that and know what it needs.

You can look around and find a good S10 or SD 10 to start on for less and an all Pull guitar is much easer to adjust when the time comes.

I just looked at Reverb.com and they have a Zum Stage one on there a very good choice for the beginner.

Good Luck
Barry

John Rockefeller

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 2:45 pm    

Thanks for the advice!

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 3:12 pm    

What Barry said......spot on. Emmons are great steels. I own several But you have to be careful when buying one. It might be way out of adjustment and, as a beginner, you might not even know it.

The Zumsteel Stage One and Encore model steels are great. The thing is, they are so well regarded that they simply don’t last long on any for-sale site. I’ve been playing a long time and, even though I didn’t need it, I bought an Encore last Fall. It is really something. Highly recommended.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 7:34 pm    

I will also suggest an Encore or Stage One - there is no way you can know at this point what you will want to end up with. I started with a Stage One, tried a high-end Universal, then switched to MSA D-10's. After 8 years, I'm pretty settled with what I play. But the cost is not what you pay - it is what you pay less what you can sell it for if/when you decide to move on. And the Encore and Stage One are such great guitars for the price, and in such high demand (there's always a waiting list) that you can sell them for pretty much what you paid - so your cost would at most be shipping charges to get it. People will suggest all sorts of steels - but most either have the problem mentioned above - two D-10's from the same builder at the same price could be a great deal on one, and a rip-off price on the other - and a beginner would probably not know which is which. Or they have the problem of losing value the day you buy it - so you can never recoup all or most of the value. Just my 2 cents.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 7:10 pm    

John,
All depends on your level of interest and your discretionary cash. While a D-10 is WAY more guitar than you would need to get started, an Emmons, if it's in decent shape and has at least 4 knee levers, is an excellent bargain, one you would have no trouble recouping ( and maybe even a little more) if you decide steel is not for you, and if you take to the steel you'll have a guitar that you can pretty much keep forever. Good luck

John Rockefeller

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 1:43 pm    

My thanks to all who offered help on this matter.
I have opted to apply for the waiting list for a Stage one.

Regards, Rocky