The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Turner
Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 9:56 am    

Hello everyone, this is April, it is with a heavy heart that I am coming to you tonight on behalf of my husband, Benjamin. As many of you know, he had an extremely lengthy hospital stay that required a below the knee amputation. Despite him being given very little chance of pulling through, after many prayers...he returned home. We were totally prepared for a long journey ahead & were ready to face it as a family. He was home for 5 weeks & they were some of the most wonderful days of my life. He didn't care about the amputation, he was just thankful that so many people cared enough to pray for him, He felt so blessed to be alive, despite all of the negative doctors reports. He said it made him realize that "things" were unimportant, but family and friends were what mattered most. He was progressing well, enjoying the moment & looking forward to the future.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family and love. But unfortunately that was short lived. Sunday morning he wasn't feeling well and believed he was having some painful indigestion. Soon after, he began to have difficulty breathing and we called 911, After only 3 minutes, they arrived & then left with him for the hospital, which is only 3 or 4 miles from our home. Enroute he went into cardiac arrest. The paramedics did their best & the hospital continued. Hours later when we were finally able to see him, he was on a ventilator, but only lightly sedated, so we were able to talk to him. He was extremely sick, but still alert. By the next morning he became unresponsive & here we are today and they tell us he has no brain activity.
Our hearts are broken and we just don't know what to do without him.
He has been the love of my life, my best friend & the perfect man for me. He has such a tender, loving heart. He is such a good man. He loves his family, he loves our dogs & cat, he loves his friends, he is such a gifted pedal steel guitar player, he is so kind & compassionate, he is so smart and so loving, and most of all he loves Jesus. My heart is breaking & we just find it truly difficutlt to imagine him not being here.
Please pray for our family, only God can heal this kind of pain & emptiness.

Jonathan Reynolds

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 10:19 am    

Got the family in my prayers. Heard the news this morning. He played steel guitar for Matt Boswell and the Hillbilly Blues Band. I subbed for him a time or two in 2016-2017, but never met him in person. We chatted via Facebook and he was always kind. I pray for strength for his family in the upcoming days, weeks and years.

Steel Guitar at Sammy Kershaw
Parterned with Evans Amplifiers

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 10:28 am    

So sorry to hear this... Ben was always positive in any of my communications with him... I’ll be praying for peace and understanding for you and your family who loved him... God’s comforting to all of you.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 12:44 pm     Ben Turner

so sorry to here about ben are prayers are sent to you and family god bless...

paul wade

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 1:36 pm    

My best wishes for you and family. will pray for you all.

William Morgan III

Hephzibah,GA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 2:24 pm    

I can feel your pain and sorrow. I lost my first wife and both of my parents so I know just what you and all of your family are going through. My Dad was talking to us one day and brain dead the next morning. I am praying the Lord gives you the strength and comfort in the days to come. May God bless you and your family.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 3:44 pm    

April, I'm very sorry to hear this, and I always looked at Ben's post on the forum.
Prayers for you., and your family.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 4:03 pm    

Prayers for you and your family April .🙏🙏🙏
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 4:48 pm    

Very sorry to hear about Ben. Condolences to his family and friends.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 7:24 pm    

So sorry to hear this. Praying for you.

Tony

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 11:33 pm    

April,My condolences to you,and your family,I always ready Ben's posts here and on Facebook...Definitely one of the good guys.Rest in Peace Big Ben!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 5:39 am    

April, even though I did not know Ben, I DO know that God has the reins now and always. Even though I am sorry for your loss in this world, The world that Ben is in is far better and I rejoice in that. Take security in the fact that Ben is watching over you and everyone he loved. He will be with you every day and all the way until you see him again.
Our prayers are with you.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 7:47 am     Big Ben

Oh my! So sad. I met Ben many years ago at Emmons and we remained friends and stayed in touch. He was a monster player and even better person. No one loved steel guitar more than Ben. Such a huge loss for the steel guitar community.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 5:44 am    

So very sad..my sympathies to April and family.Love and strength...

David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 9:28 am    

What a shock! He was a great guy. We will all miss him..

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 11:59 am     Big Ben Turner

I really am at a loss for words. Ben was a true country player. He was a hell of a guy. If it was not for him I would have never learned to play steel. He taught me the ins and outs of about everything when it came to steel. He was truly a monster player. There was nothing he couldn't play. For all the steel brothers out there I want you all to know we lost a hell of a player. But much more than that we lost a hell of a guy. Ben will be missed. April, You and the family are in my prayers.

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 5:43 pm    

Roy Carroll wrote:
April, even though I did not know Ben, I DO know that God has the reins now and always. Even though I am sorry for your loss in this world, The world that Ben is in is far better and I rejoice in that. Take security in the fact that Ben is watching over you and everyone he loved. He will be with you every day and all the way until you see him again.
Our prayers are with you.

Oh my, I’m at a loss for words! April I am so sorry for your loss. Ben was a friend, I don’t recall how, or how long ago we became acquainted, but his number is in my contact list, and I would just spontaneously text him and talk steel. I was not aware of his hospital stay, so this is shocking news. He was always a true gentlemen. Mr. Roy said it best 👆🏻. My condolences, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. My the good Lord be with you and yours, as you climb this mountain 😭

Best wishes, JT

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 1:01 am    

April, I’m so sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences , prayers for you and family Crying or Very sad

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2019 12:58 pm    

I haven't been on the Gone Home section for weeks. Very sad to hear of Ben's passing. He and I corresponded via the forum and I found him to be a genuinely good guy.

April, my deepest sympathies and prayers go out for you, the family and for Ben.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 7:42 pm    

Wow, I haven't been around Gone Home lately. Ben was so young, this is very sad. My prayers and condolences to you, April, and all of Ben's family and friends.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 12:57 pm    

Very sad to hear this. Big Ben..A good guy and a great player, fellow South Carolinian. We've exchanged communications over the years and he is very well respected around here.