The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitorgan?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2019 12:24 pm    

Asa Brosius wrote:
Notably, I've never been asked for that sound professionally.

I showed up for a session once without my H&K RotoSphere and the producer was very disappointed. Lesson learned. Oh Well

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2019 2:33 pm    

That probably speaks to where we live respectively- I'm in Nashville- if someone wants an organ sound they have many immediate 'real' options that do it better than me on steel. Same goes for steel sounds here ...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2019 6:53 pm    

Using an organ effect? Just remember...NO slow pedal moves, and NO slides or glissandi. You want clean "chops", not squeezed "bends" in what you play. Listen to an organist and study the sound and style. Play simple - it's a lot more than just plugging in a box, and you'll never pull it off playing like Lloyd Green. Oh yeah, and your muting techniques need to be very good, too! Cool

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 1:52 am    

Absolutely sound advice. Unless you're deliberately hijacking the rotary sound to incorporate into your regular steel vocabulary for a hoot. Generations of organists may have been frustrated that they can't bend the notes, for all we know. Playing blues on a Hammond must be hell.

[At the first attempt "Hammond" auto-corrected to "Hammock". Playing blues on a hammock is just fine]

But like when you ask an old country boy for directions and he says "Hmm... I wouldn't start from here", like Asa says, if you want an organ, start with an organ.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 9:05 am    

My guitar slinging buddy and myself furnished all the music for a wedding.
I would have been lost without my H&K Rotosphere, especially when playing the Wedding March and the Bridal Chorus. Very Happy
Erv

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2019 11:01 am    

This thread is right on the money regarding "emulating" a B3, rather than sounding exactly like one. It's one thing to sound like a psg through a Leslie, and another to sound like a B3. Again, seeing Rusty do it back in the day set the benchmark. The band I'm in has two songs where I "B3"... Let It Be and Don't Dream It's Over. I'm using a B9 to get the rich harmonics and compression, then out to an EB wah (modified for middle range w/o extreme toe or heel), then into a Neo Vent II (remotely controlled with an Ashby half-moon). The wah/drawbar aspect is important, and I'm still working on remembering to play like a organist, not use vibrato, my right foot is not for sustain, etc. Here's my attempt at Poo's Good Feeling to Know... just playing the chord pads (I know, it's only the right channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4BKtRsedw

Regarding Dom's band Bethlehem from the 70's, I have to say it was one of the very best. Really captured the Rusty Young, Sneaky Pete, Al Perkins vibes to great effect. Check out Desert Song... as good as any Eagles tune ever, with great vocals. Thanks Dom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQuA67JUXc
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 12:51 pm    

Like b0b, I use an H & K Rotosphere and love it! Wish they still made them.

I too try to think like an organist. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Smith, Holmes, Scott, etc. So I do some single string stuff but avoid glisses and pedal bends.

Chords are better. I use a 4 finger technique so the massive sound starts right from there and gets the oomph from the Roto. But playing in 3rds is cool too.

I use the fast speed more than the slow speed.

Tried the B 9 but sent it back to Sweetwater. Maybe I should have had it first in the chain as you guys suggest.

Here in RI I work locally with a 4 piece jazz/pop instrumental group with a wonderful guitar player, so sometimes I want to sound like another "guitar"--but other times switch to "organ," and chording for the guitar gives him sonic room to work..

Finally, have you ever lugged your gear down to a "blues jam"? (Hey! You're a masochist like me!) But the Roto saves me from being just another guitar player.

Chris

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 4:39 pm    

Hi Chris,
Let me know where and when you are playing in the Providence area. I need to get out more often and would enjoy hearing your band play.