The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio: Sonny Curtis Memorial Steel Guitar Jam
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 3:31 pm    

I am trying to set up another Steel jam on November 23 rd . This is a tentative date at this time , nothing in concrete at this time . We thought that we would do this jam in honor of our long time Steel playing buddy Sonny Curtis . Dustin Rigsby has taken it upon himself to do a little speech and history of Mr . Curtis . We want to share this with those that didn’t get to know Sonny as we have in the steel guitar community . I already posted the jam before we decided to do the jam in honor of Sonny Curtis . This will be held at Good Shepherd Community Church , 210 Obetz Rd . Columbus , Ohio . 43207 . Time 12:00 til ?? Free to the public , Church will be selling food to offset the cost of the jam . All steel jam layers are welcome . Singers are welcome , fiddle and banjo is welcome . For more information call Gary at (614)774-3109 . Remember this s a tentative date . Could change .

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 5:40 am    

What a great effort to showcase such an unsung HERO of the steel guitar world. Sonny was the first PRO player to take time and encourage me to get into the steel guitar world, and I'm so glad he did.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 6:00 pm     Steel Jam In Ohio

We have a confirmation for our “ Steel Jam “ . This will be a memorial for our long time Steel playing buddy Sonny Curtis . November, 23 rd . At Good Shepherd Community Church , 210 Obetz Rd . Columbus , Ohio 43207 . Starting at 12:00 , til ??? . All steel players are welcome. We have a backup band, Larry Wilson and GCB . Singers are welcome to help out . If you play banjo or fiddle , please come jam with us . Free to the public, Church will be selling food to offset the cost. This is a family friendly venue, no smoking or alcohol, please . Please be at the Church an hour early to set up and tune up . Hope to see you there. Call Gary at (614)774-3109 for more information.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 1:07 pm    

On my calendar, Gary.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:22 pm     Re: Steel Jam In Ohio

Gary Preston wrote:
We have a confirmation for our “ Steel Jam “ . This will be a memorial for our long time Steel playing buddy Sonny Curtis , we have added another Steel Guitar Buddie to this jam . Mr Leland Darst . Leland was a Professional Road player also . November, 23 rd . At Good Shepherd Community Church , 210 Obetz Rd . Columbus , Ohio 43207 . Starting at 12:00 , til ??? . All steel players are welcome. We have a backup band, Larry Wilson and GCB . Singers are welcome to help out . If you play banjo or fiddle , please come jam with us . Free to the public, Church will be selling food to offset the cost. This is a family friendly venue, no smoking or alcohol, please . Please be at the Church an hour early to set up and tune up . Hope to see you there. Call Gary at (614)774-3109 for more information.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:26 pm     Steel Jam

Just found out that our drummer won’t be able to play the jam . Is there a drummer that will play this jam for us ? Thank you in advance if you can .

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2019 9:58 am    

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 1:07 pm    

TTT

Jason Wages

Mt.Sterling, Ky.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 8:06 am     Steel jam

Hello everyone....I was wondering if someone could possibly video the jam or at least some of it please....I have been trying to make it sometime but haven't been able to. I am a beginner and I have been wanting to get around some steel players but there are not any in my area...thank you and God bless.....

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 6:47 am    

.........and the award goes to, Gary Preston. This jam was the best jam I’ve been to. I almost didn’t go because I slept in and had to hurry up to get my shower and go. I didn’t shave and barely finished getting dressed, but I made and darned glad I did. I saw people that I haven’t seen in years. Gary puts on a great jam and the people that go to the jams are grateful for it. Keep up the good work Gary. One more thing. I can’t say enough about the musicians, they were great. The fact that this jam was a tribute to our good friends Sonny Curtis and Leland Darst just made it that much better. RIP our good friends.

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 6:51 am    

.........and the award goe to, Gary Preston. This jam was the best jam I’ve been to. I almost didn’t go because I slept in and had to hurry up to get my shower and go. I didn’t shave and barely finished getting dressed, but I made and darned glad I did. I saw people that I haven’t seen in years. Gary puts on a great jam and the people that go to the jams are grateful for it. Keep up the good work Gary. One more thing. Can’t say enough about the musicians, they were great. The fact that this jam was a tribute to our good friend Sonny Curtis and Leland Darst just made it that much better. RIP our good friends.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 9:16 am    

I enjoyed seeing old friends too Mike. I don’t get out much these days due to some ailments, thus why I had to leave early. It was an honor for me to eulogize Sonny and Leland, even though I’m not a good public speaker. I hope the jams can see the same level of success going forward.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 10:58 am    

Congratulations on a successful steel guitar memorial for my friend Sonny Curtis, we go back 50+ years. He was the first Pro player to mentor me and we have stayed in touch, all this time up till the last year. Sure would have loved to have been there.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 9:42 am     Jam

Thank you Mike , it was a great jam so much fellowship between everyone. We had 9 steel players, great backup band , with some of Sonnys band members . The jam is about all you guys . Not me , but thank you .Again a huge thank you goes out to Good Shepherd Community Church for letting us use their facility, free of charge . We love them . Folks if you live close to us , you need to attend the jams . We will make you welcome . The venue is free to us , they sell food cheap . Got to get another jam scheduled for early 2020 .

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 7:16 am     steel guitar jam in Ohio

I had the pleasure of attending the Steel Guitar jam. Boy what a great time. Unfortunately I was only able to stay for two sets. I am a greeter at Crossroads Community Church in Mansfield and I was on duty for the Saturday evening service. As much as I would have liked to stay for the whole Jam, my work at the church takes precedence over everything.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 10:26 am     Jam

Richard , do you play Steel ? If so you are welcome to join in with us . Just so you know , we have a Southern Gospel Trio that travels to different Churches . New Covenant Trio, is the name of our group . We are currently in the top ten on the reverbnation music chart . We would love to come sing for your a church . Call me at (614)774-3109 if your Church can use us . Thanks,Gary .

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 5:32 pm     ohio steel guitar jam

Hi Gary. Thanks for asking about my playing...I'm new to pedal steel and to this point I probably don't play good enough to participate actively with the players I saw at the Jam, but I'm learning. Being a new player at 83 yrs old may have something to do with that. I played lap steel for a time with group that meets a couple of times a month, but that is the limit of my steel playing experience with an audience. I enjoy learning and playing(?) but need more practice before I take the PSG out of the house.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 7:08 pm     Steel

hey if you play lap steel , you can join us . We had two lap players that played with us . You are welcome . I didn’t get to meet you I don’t think . Sorry .

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 11:56 am     Steel jams

Yep Lap steel guitars are welcomed.