The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic

When did you stop listening to new music?
I listen to new music often
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
I rarely listen anymore
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Not in the last 5 years
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Not in the last 10 years
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
I've heard all the music that I want to hear
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 43

Author Topic:  When did you stop listening to new music?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 5:14 am    

Even if you stop listening to “new” music, as in newly released, that shouldn’t stop you from seeking out “new to you” music. There is plenty of music that we all haven’t heard that has existed for either a century, decades or even just a few years. Musicians should always be seeking sounds!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 8:01 pm    

I started listening to country music as a kid in the 80s, listening to artists like George Strait, Ricky Skaggs, The Judds, Waylon, Willie, Schuyler, Knobloch, and Overstreet, Keith Whitley, Earl Thomas Conley, Dan Seals, Judy Rodman, the first George Jones song I ever heard was "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes", and the first Merle Haggard song I heard was one he did with Janie Fricke called "Natural High" after "Pancho & Lefty" and by the time the eighties were gone and the nineties came around, I listened to a lot of nineties country, which I still do today. One singer/songwriter I've been a fan of and I still love her music now, is Danni Leigh. Danni's from Strasburg, Virginia, and she was signed to Decca Records after writing "I Wanna Feel That Way Again", a song that country star Tracy Byrd recorded. Nowadays, I listen to classic country, 90s country, 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s songs, and I'll hear artists who are new to me and love their music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 11:05 am    

I'm a younger guy and I never listen to commercial radio anymore. You can find young songwriters on Spotify and Amazon that are carrying the banner for true authentic country music. Just check out Santa Poco here in Seattle: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5x0qEqgMMfdRX3LLEKWwNw

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:16 am    

Love new music and I thrive on it. If I ever felt like there wasn't new good stuff being made I'd be unbelievably depressed.

I keep beating this drum in here, but there's so many new tools to find good new music that corporate radio really is a thing of the past.

Also, I love old music but to me the biggest thrill I have is finding something that is cutting edge, unexpected and is of the moment.

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 12:27 pm     Let’s vote!

What would it take to get “SteelRadio” on satellite? I would be in heaven
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 11:12 am     New music

I haven't listened to commercial radio in over 20 years
But I do listen southern gospel on sattile radio they still have a few new songs that have good steel on them
A lot of the church's have gone to praise & worship especially in the medium to large church's. In my ardour smaller church's still love southern gospel & also love steel guitar

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 12:21 pm    

If it's not old classic country not interested. Wes

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 2:38 pm    

My original choice in the poll was that I haven't listened to new music in at least 10 years.
I'm going to change that.
We just bought a high end stereo speaker system that is blue tooth compatible.
I found a website called "Accuradio" that has bazillions of channels for all types of music.
At the moment we have zeroed in on "smooth jazz". It also has dozens of categories.
I love it. Good solid beat......very relaxing and some darn good music.
I guess I need to stretch my mind a bit more.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2019 3:34 pm    

Most of the music I purchase nowadays is new to me. The fact that it may have been recorded 70 or 80 years ago is irrelevant. Because to me, if I haven't heard it before, it's new.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 4:00 pm    

The “Outlaw” channel on Satellite radio is refreshing as there are some new artists getting airplay. Also, many other dedicated channels for all types of music.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 6:44 pm    

When they started rapping in "country music".....
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 3:07 pm    

Well I don't like gospel or bluegrass music very much, but I saw one of the Lewis family on Mary Stuart and started listening to them, they are described as "bluegrass gospel", but man are they good, most of them are sick or dead now but they have records and you can find quite a few you recordings of them. They were great, I never imagined I would have liked them.

Jason OConnor

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 5:04 am    

Wow, I am surprised at all those who stopped listening to new music. Aren't you curious? And if you're a musician, you kinda have to if you want to grow I think. My tastes have changed, but I like discovering new music, even if it is old and just 'new' to me.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 5:48 am    

Music went downhill after Johann Sebastian Bach died, music quality has been continually declining since.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2019 6:47 pm    

Jason OConnor wrote:
Wow, I am surprised at all those who stopped listening to new music. Aren't you curious? And if you're a musician, you kinda have to if you want to grow I think. My tastes have changed, but I like discovering new music, even if it is old and just 'new' to me.

"New music", to me, is anything I haven't heard. I find most old music far more interesting than most of the stuff that's being written nowadays, and I have special fondness for the half-century period 1920-1970.