The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can’t play in cowboy boots
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 6:31 pm    

It's the old guys that want to see western boots on stage. The younger crowd doesn't seem to care about that at all. Times change.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 7:15 pm    

For some reason I need a bit of a heel to work the pedals. For me it seems it's easier to pivot from pedal to pedal. That is, if I've taken the time to oil, beat up and break in the ankle area of a regular boot. Currently my favorite shoes are an ankle boot (kind of like a Beatle boot) and a pair of sandals with a thick sole and higher heel. For boots I like a snip toe, and since I have a small foot, I have no problem with getting caught up in the pedal rods. I'm amazed at people who can play in sneakers or flat shoes! They kill my ankles!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 10:01 pm    

Lynn Fargo wrote:
For some reason I need a bit of a heel to work the pedals. For me it seems it's easier to pivot from pedal to pedal.
I'm amazed at people who can play in sneakers or flat shoes! They kill my ankles!

Same here, including the volume pedal. Flat dress shoes and tennis shoes = Ankle death.

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 1:48 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Skate Board Shops usually have cool looking stage shoes, and they are all about being able to feel the board (pedals in our case).
Vans are popular.
One local player styles the pedals with Converse high tops.

Pete is right on with this. I have been wearing Vans to play for years. Nothing better in my opinion.

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 6:43 am    

Thanks all for the replies. I haven’t tried boots with the higher heels. I’ll give that a try. I wear boots daily, so I would really like to get comfortable playing in them.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Mack

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 6:47 am    

Until recently, I gigged in what I consider casual attire, my daily jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers. But I decided to change that and "look the part", as it were. I have a new pair of cowboy boots specifically for gigging. Played one gig in them without practice, and that was a mistake. Guess I need to be diligent about wearing them when I practice if I'm going to gig in them.

Now, I know there are more comfortable options that make it easier to "feel" the pedals (I have a pair of sneakers I bought specifically because of this), but... I feel like a big part of being an entertainer is the aesthetic element. Just like people taste with their eyes first, people hear with their eyes first too (maybe not musicians, but the average music fan). If I go to see a country band (and I mean Country, not mainstream country pop) and they're in shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes, it doesn't exactly set the vibe for a country music show. Look at a band like The Country Side of Harmonica Sam, you know what you're getting before they play one note (granted they're at the extreme end of the spectrum). My opinion is that live music is as much a visual as an aural art form. People want to be entertained, and just playing well isn't enough to keep the average person's attention span for long.

I'd guess the reason you don't see steel players wearing boots at a steel convention is that they know they don't have to since the audience is all steel players who only care about the playing.

Brian LeBlanc

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 6:56 am     Tony Lama's

1st lesson I took with Buddy Charleton:

"get yourself a pair of Tony Lama's"

!

...more then couple years ago $@%!

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 7:09 am    

Brian, I have several pairs of Tony Llamas. Love them. Best boots in my opinion. I have a pair of Aariats that have the higher heel. Gonna give them a try.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 7:53 am    

There's even a song about Tony Lamas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5YUKIM1Kc

(Not totally off color, but it IS tinted a bit Mr. Green )

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 9:14 am    

It's my understanding, that you need an additional rubber sole glued on after the buy. Because when the leather is worn out it loosens the seam.
I bought some pretty pointed ones a few months ago and without the rubber I costantly slid off the pedals.
An extra Rubber Soul Laughing
What do you do?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 9:54 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
It's my understanding, that you need an additional rubber sole glued on after the buy. Because when the leather is worn out it loosens the seam.
I bought some pretty pointed ones a few months ago and without the rubber I costantly slid off the pedals.
An extra Rubber Soul Laughing
What do you do?

New leather soles will slip. They need to be scuffed up. I used rubber bands on my pedals until the soles of my boots developed some wear and tear. If the soles are flat, then yes, the stitching will loosen faster than a curved sole, but even at that, it shouldn’t happen for several years of regular wear.

My original Rubber Soul wore out long time ago 🤠

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 10:10 am    

Good advice Fred! I mean the rubber bands. But even even the scuff up (I learnd a new word) doesn't help from slipping when snow is on the ground, which doesn't happen as much as decades ago, but still sometimes.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 10:10 am    

I wore cowboy boots all the time for decades,partly because they worked better than anything else for playing steel.Although advancing age makes boots not work very well for standing and walking,they're still comfortable for playing.For times when it's inconvenient to change into boots to play,I have a pair of black Skechers that look like street shoes.I think the bright colors on modern footwear call attention where it shouldn't go.....

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 10:56 am    

I can't do the volume pedal without a taller heel..

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 12:04 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Lynn Fargo wrote:
For some reason I need a bit of a heel to work the pedals. For me it seems it's easier to pivot from pedal to pedal.
I'm amazed at people who can play in sneakers or flat shoes! They kill my ankles!

Same here, including the volume pedal. Flat dress shoes and tennis shoes = Ankle death.

Same here. My volume pedal ankle hurts unless I wear a cowboy heel.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 12:34 pm    

I can't even wear cowboy boots, let alone play a pedal steel wearing 'em. Some shoes work okay, and in my salad days I played in stocking feet or even barefoot. These days I prefer good ole Minnetonka Moccasins, from the bowels of nordeast Minneapolis.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 1:29 pm    

I teach guitar at my local Vet Center, music therapy for combat vets. One of my students gave me a pair of well worn Tony Lamas, first time I ever wore cowboy boots (I’m from New England). Since I was new to Pedal Steel I started out with them thinking it was the right thing to do, they work just fine and I now wear them every time I play out, banjo, dobro, guitar and pedal steel, I even bought a couple of cowboy shirts which are now part of my playing out attire.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 1:43 pm    

Are cowboy boots part of a costume, or it it a lifestyle? I've worn plenty of costumes in my life, so I'm no purist. I've never been a cowboy so it's definitely not a lifestyle for me. I occasionally wear a cowboy hat at gigs, but even that feels a little silly. Boots that interfere with my ability to play my best are not acceptable.

I agree about the need to raise up the heels so the angle of attack is better on the pedals and VP. I have heel shims inside my race car shoes. My playing shoes are all black so they are not very conspicuous.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 1:59 pm    

If I have to wear flat bottom shoes, I keep a short piece of 1x3/4 wood in my seat to put under the heel of my VP.. I don't have a problem with the pedals.. just the VP.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 3:05 pm    

My current boots are Lucchese's that I bought on sale at half price earlier this year. Very soft and limber leather. Probably the best cowboy boots I've had for playing steel, and I've been using boots since 1973.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 4:36 pm     Made for walkin..

Boots have neverbeen aproblem. I do however have a severe allergy to truck stop cowboy drag.
widcj@hotmail.com

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 7:41 am    

I just got these about 3 months ago. They are great and look like a roper boot from the front

https://www.timberland.ca/shop/VFSearchDisplay?catalogId=10102&storeId=7121&langId=-12&searchTerm=chelsea+boots+men&facet=STYLE%20%3D%20%27Dress%20Boots%27&catPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch1%3Dchelsea+boots+men&requestData=CA_AttributeSelected&beginIndex=0#facet=STYLE%20%3D%20'Dress%20Boots'&catPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch1%3Dchelsea+boots+men&requestData=CA_AttributeSelected&beginIndex=0