The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questione for Jack Stoner
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 2:30 pm    

How would you compare the new Twin to your old Carvin bass amp.

Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2019 3:28 am    

Two different amps.
Bass amps, although many make good steel amps, are more linear in reproduction. Guitar amps tend to not be linear in frequency response thus not all guitar amps make good steel amps.

Back to comparison, the Carvin BX500, at least the one I had, was a little noisy and unsuitable for recording. OK for stage work. It had two EQ options, the regular tone controls and graphic EQ. I liked the sound of the Carvin but wanted to go back to a one piece combo amp and main reason I sold it.

The Tone Master Twin Reverb. It sounds and responds like a real Twin Reverb. Enough Said.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2019 10:26 am    

Thinking, I probably didn't really compare the two.

The BX500 has a tube preamp and has a somewhat tube sound. It has a bypass for the tube preamp and in bypass there is only a slight difference.

The Fender is all solid state but emulates (models) the real Twin Reverb. I have some amp modeling software that is used for recording but I don't hear much. Fender was able to do a very good modeling job with the Tone Master.

Making a comparison is hard. One is "Apples" and the other is "Oranges". Both do well for pedal steel but no direct sound comparison.

David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2019 5:11 pm    

Thanks again,Jack