The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Going to be a new pedal steel player, with luck
Frank Shanahan

Prince Edward, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 12:44 pm    

Learning the pedalsteel has always been a passion of mine and at 70 years old have decided to take the plunge. I am purchasing an MSA supersustain II U12 in a couple of days. I will likely have to learn this on my own as I'm unaware of anyone close where ican get lessons. I'm used to learning on my own and for the past few weeks have been reading, watching everything I could find. I was following the E9 tuning until I realized that this unit a different tuning E9/B6th. Now its back to the drawing board to try and find instruction for this tuning. From what I've been learning some of the cord grips are still the same until you get to the bottom end. This unit has 7 pedals and 5 levers. Not sure until I get it how they'll work out. Any help in locating any instructional material would be greatly appreciated. Cheers for now

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 12:49 pm    

Joe Wright has some good stuff online including the basic grips:

https://www.pedalsteel.com/joe/Members/tea/teach.html

Dave

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 1:13 pm    

It's different only because it has more strings and more capability. They are the same down to the 8th string provided the MSA has the conventional E9/B6 set-up.

You can still use the instructional material for the 10 string E9th. The bottom strings on the 12 are generally tuned different, but the notes are all there just in different places.

The other 4 pedals are for the B6 side of the tuning and you do not need to be confused by them until you are ready to explore that side of the tuning. The great thing is that it is there when you're ready.

Good luck and happy picking. You will find help and answers to your questions and concerns here, so dive in!

Frank Shanahan

Prince Edward, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 1:31 pm    

Thanks for the replies, I am really looking forward to this venture. Maybe this ole dog can learn a few tricks. I'll post when I get back to the island with my purchase , cheers to all and again thanks loads.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 4:39 pm    

The first 8 strings of E9/B6 are exactly the same as E9th. The 10th string of E9th is the 9th string on E9/B6. You need to use a knee lever to get the E9th's 9th string note on E9/B6.

I hope that makes sense. The bottom line is that almost all E9th instruction applies equally well to the E9/B6 tuning.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 5:26 pm    

Congratulations and welcome to the hood (is this forum a hood?

There's lots of good books, but I think it's important to supplement with videos and especially a teacher or expert player's eye to see how the steel, picks and bar fit you and how you're picking, sitting, tracking the bar, angling feet on the pedals, etc. While in person is best, if you're not able to do that, Skype works pretty well, with a good camera and internet connection. For DVD's/ video/youtube lessons, I like the ones by Bruce Bouton (not great video quality, but good enough), Rob Haines, Mickey Adams and Paul Franklin.

here's some good threads for instructional materials

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351956

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKnBUUXl0uZEL84p4iF6GI1xS93CT_sni

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=291846