The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer FC600 volume pedal.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 4:30 am    

By appearances, this pedal should be a good choice. Its solidly constructed and very neat and tidy inside. But it has an annoying feature.

The linkage between the pedal and the pot is a sliding clevis and pin. The geometry of the travel creates a firm spot in the middle of the range. To get over the "hard" spot the player needs to apply more pressure. This creates a jerk in the volume swell. I have tried the tension adjustment and it makes no difference.

I have read a number of reviews of this pedal, and none of them mention this attribute. I fail to see how the linkage could be any different on another example.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 6:17 am    

Behringer stuff is crap. Cheap copies of pro-quality products produced by other brands. They've done well in the market because they are so inexpensive. But you get what you pay for.

I'd invest in a better quality pedal.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 12:15 pm    

There is nothing cheap about the way this pedal is built. I have no complaints about Behringer mics and mixers. I should add that everything imported into Australia is not cheap here.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 12:31 am    

There is a happy ending to this story.

I was reluctant to get into a technical discussion with the dealer, or merely junk the pedal, so I examined the problem carefully.

The linkage consists of a clevis mounted on the pot spindle, and a pin on a bracket mounted on the underside of the foot plate. The pin locates in the clevis and as it comes down it arrives at mid range with the pin all the way into the clevis. This produces a firm spot as there is almost no leverage at that position. As the pedal is depressed further, a minor but uncontrolled jerk occurs which Punk Rock Stompers would probably not notice. But it is death to steel guitar nuance.

By re-drilling and moving the pin on its bracket about 4 mm, it does not go all the way into the clevis at mid range. This hard spot in the overall travel is eliminated by maintaining continual leverage. There is just enough length in the clevis to accommodate the relocated pin. Of course the warranty is well and truly void. However, I saved the time and hassle of contacting the dealer a 1,500 miles away.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 6:00 am    

I knew an old machinist who helped me with non existent parts for years. He would say, "if a man built it, a man can fix it!"