The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Pedal Question
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 6:41 pm    

Hi,

I have a question about Franklin pedal placement......

When a guitar has a Franklin pedal in the Zero position, is it physically where the A pedal is on traditional guitars (with the ABC pedals shifted over one position to the right)

Or is it physically to the left of the ABC pedals, with the ABC pedals in the normal position?

Thanks[/u]

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 8:17 pm    

Physically where the A pedal is. As far as I can tell, there's no standard as to how far left the first pedal is in relation to the left knee levers. My Mullens A pedal is farther left than my Emmons. Takes some getting used to if I switch guitars.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 7:42 am    

Charley beside the A pedal is where I have mine. Works great there.

Tony

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 7:49 am     The Franklin Pedal

If it is placed next to the A Pedal, is it used with the A Pedal...? Is it used with any Knee Levers..??

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 7:58 am     Re: The Franklin Pedal

Charley Bond wrote:
If it is placed next to the A Pedal, is it used with the A Pedal...? Is it used with any Knee Levers..??

To the left of the stock pedal 1, is where I put it when I had it. I added a "zero" pedal. I'm not sure how many knee levers it can combine with, but it is often used with the knee lever that lowers the E's to D#. I don't think it is used with the A pedal much, if at all. Many put it on pedal 4 if they have one. It would be next ti the C pedal then (on an Emmons setup)

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 9:53 am     Franklin Pedal

I have done two things, either have 9 pedals on the D-10 in which case my first pedal ( Franklin ) was added to the left of my A,B,C, pedals or as in my most recent guitars I've opted out of purchasing an extra pedal and on an 8 pedal D-10 my setup was changed to make the first pedal the Franklin then pedals 2,3,4 became my A,B,C ..E9th pedals with pedal 4 doing double duty as the 1st of 5 pedals in my C6 tuning so depending on your guitars mechanism it can be a smooth or stiff pull at times.

Ben Feher

Austin TX
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 4:08 pm    

Since the steel guitar itself is a fixed length, it seems your talking about the pedals relative placement. If the franklin pedal is in the leftmost position, the left knee levers might be shifted right to stay over the ABC pedals to keep the ergonomics of that position similar if not the same as without a pedal 1 or “zero”. To engage the pedal the left foot reaches a little “outside” the standard knee level arrangement. This may just be a simple adjustment of the left knees or physically moving the levers right on the guitar body.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 6:13 pm    

I have mine on pedal 4 ...without any C6th changes... and moved my entire C6th setup one step to the right -- I have 9 pedals, 4 for E9th and 5 for C6th !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.