Here's one effect I can't do without!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 3:47 pm    

HEY ERV!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 4:10 pm     Straight amp

I'm in the same boat as Kevin Fix I come from the guitar to the black box to my l120 volume pedal to the 112 amp amt reverb set about 3 that's all I need

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 9:22 pm    

I'll try any effect. There is tasteful use of toys and there is the other kind. Depends on what the music calls for and the limitations of your conventions, I suppose. Obviously they don’t make you a better player. Some of the sounds Danny Gatton got from his effects were hilarious, adding humor to the completeness of his talent.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 3:44 am    

Whatever works. Use 'em, don't use 'em. If you're using reverb, you're using effects however.

No fx is too dry for me. I'm in Fred's camp. I like 'em and I use 'em. Reverb, delay, sometimes chorus, tremolo, wah, pan, fuzz, dist.... whatever the situation calls for. Effects can work for you if you know what you want them to do and how to use them for a particular situation.

That's what I love about the multi-fx rigs. A spin of a knob or scroll of a button and you have a program for every situation.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 5:03 am    

I think there is a huge learning curve to learn to properly use effects for steel.
Steve Palousek is a master with tone an sound I think some of us would agree if you could master a tone with effects like Steve we would certainly use them. Bobby Seymour was another example that could wet your appetite for effects with just a delay pedal an reverb. Of course Buddy also was a master with effects.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 8:19 am    

I'm a sucker for organ effects.
I guess that's because I play in church most of the time.
My guitar slinging buddy and I supplied the music for a wedding a while back and the organ effect sure fit in on "The Wedding March" and "Here Comes The Bride". Very Happy
Erv

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 9:11 am     Straight amp

I do realize reverb is an effect but the majority of us don't really think of reverb as an effect it is built into the amp it is a spring reverb I like some not a whole lot I have used some delay about 1 beat the rest I have no use for if some one else like them them they can have my shear if it float your boat I'm proud for you

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 12:14 pm    

I too stopped using my multi effects unit. It was coloring the basic lovely tone.
IMO the "digital" phenomena is responsible whereby the unit immediately digitizes your signal so that it can be worked on in the digital domain then turns it back to analog subsequently.
I prefer reverberation affects be "side chain" whereby your unadulterated signal is passed along and the effect is added to it. This may explain why we don't mind traditional spring reverberation.
Of course affects like compression and distortion require total control of you signal but these too can be accomplished in the analog domain.
I've noticed many SS stomp boxes don't have the headroom for a pedal steel pickup, especially a 12 string humbucker. Often your transient peaks can get clipped - it's sublte but anoying nonetheless.
I used to think that on a four hour gig the audience's ear gets tired of the same tonality and it is my responsibility to vary it.....but now...!@#$em for the most part. I carry a lap steel if the gig calls for overdrive/distortion.
...and one lousy sounding room can ruin everything BTW, yet a good one can make your night.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 5:28 am    

I now have "dingus box" too, except mine is not magical like Danny Gatton's:

...And that box has been closed...But for how long? Only time will tell.

Also, check out my amp settings:

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 9:38 am    

Quote:
IMO the "digital" phenomena is responsible whereby the unit immediately digitizes your signal so that it can be worked on in the digital domain then turns it back to analog subsequently.

True, to an extent. Even with an fx loop, that digital edge still makes its way to the speaker via the power amp phase, but that’s what post eq is for.

An amp’s loop is easy enough to set up with stomp boxes, and a good multi-fx unit will have a loop block in the chain where you can separate front end tonal fx from the ambient fx.

If tonal purity is what the song calls for, and you think your dry signal is the bitchinest sound ever heard, go for it. Effects are meant to enhance your tone, so if they are messing it up, it probably has to do with either their quality or the way they are being used.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 3:55 pm    

Effects are like salad dressing. Use too much and it ruins the salad. Use too little and it's not as delicious. Use no dressing and, well... a plain salad can be good but who wants to eat that? Using effects well and tastefully is a skill honed after years of trial and error. Years back, I played at Scotty's and after my set a couple guys came up to me and said "Man. I wish I could play that dry!". I definitely still keep it on the dry side but no reverb and delay?... no thank you.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 8:03 pm    

That's all too much in the signal path. I don't use a volume pedal- changes the volume too much- I like a 2 inch George l cable, without the tone-sucking 1/4" ends attached, kept in its original shipping box- bypass the amp- it always ends up coloring the natural tone- pop on my pre - 1492 Nationals- I just feel like they make em different these days- then I put on a Ray Price record and stare at my steel for an hour. Tone heaven.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 2:45 am    

Ha! I use none(sometimes no reverb!) or I use many. The rig depends on the gig.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 7:28 pm    

john buffington wrote:
Jimmy Day is a perfect example of playing with no effects other than a touch of reverb on his amp.. He once said: "don't need all them boxes and $#*t, if it ain't in here (pointing to his chest/heart) you ain't gonna get it out of all that junk". When he began to play, you could hear a pin drop in the room! He most definitely had masterful touch, IMO.

Beautiful words!

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 12:31 pm    

Fine!! if a person is good enough to join the "I'm good so I play dry club". But if a person is considered a "no pickin' SOB" like me, then unapologetic, use every crutch in the chain a person thinks makes them sound better!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 12:52 pm    

I'm with Bo!
I need all the help I can get. Very Happy
Erv