The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel Player
Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 1:03 pm    

I was just gifted a BMI 12 string, single neck steel for my bday. It has 4 pedals and what seems like six knee levers. I can post photos of it if needed. Was wanting some general advice on getting it up and playing again. All the linkages move with no binding, but some don't seem like they move or do anything, like the LKV or RKR. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 2:26 pm    

Welcome to the world of steel guitar. This is a great place to get information. Some pictures might help us determine whats going on with your guitar. BMI is still open and in business so you might reach out to them for information on your guitar if needed.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 2:43 pm    

Fantastic birthday present! Sounds like an extended E9.

Maybe if you say what part of Arkansas you're in, there'll be a teacher or somebody experienced nearby to test play it and check how it fits you, choose bar/fingerpicks etc etc.

Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 2:46 pm     photos

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 3:21 pm    

BMI are great steel guitars. I've got a couple, and the builder, Don Fritche is right in Arkansas If you need some parts. Real nice guy I might add. I'd guess that steel is probably a late 70's. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 8:08 pm    

I agree with Gene, it’s probably set up as Extended E9

I see 5 knee levers, including the vertical. 4 pedals / 5 levers is very common for Ext.E9. A pedal or lever should rock at least one of the changer fingers; most of them should do two. Some levers engage to the right, others to the left, and of course the vertical engages up. Just use your good eye when watching the changer fingers - they don’t move much.

Sorry if all that seems painfully obvious, but you said you’re new to pedal steel. If after careful observation you are still convinced some things are not working, then maybe a visit to another player or local shop is in order.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 9:59 pm    

Are there any loose parts, e.g. pull rods, bellcranks in the case? Can you take pix of the undercab: Changer and where the levers that don't seem to pull are mounted and (should be) connected to cross shafts. Also pic of changer from above, somebody recently had a pic where the strings were pushed off to the side of each finger.

Read this stickied post also https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460

it's possible for pull rods and cross shafts to be binding, needs new springs etc
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326448

and use Search button above to find about little things particular to your steel, every steel has something different going on.

Last edited by Gene Tani on 2 Dec 2019 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 10:14 pm     Knee Levers

So is it normal for there to be two levers on LKL? There are two, one toward the front and one toward the back.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 10:26 pm    

Yup, some players have a cluster of 5 left levers.

Here's 4 lefts: https://b0b.com/tunings/ebovine.html

Here's a D10 copedent, 4 lefts https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=350295

Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 10:44 pm     teardown

Good to know. Now I have to get up the courage to do a good tear down and clean on it.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 12:14 am    

Josh,Happy Birthday,That's a great guitar.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 7:21 am    

Josh,

I'm in Russellville and available to you most any day if you are close. I used to own and work on a BMI (Beck Musical Instruments) SD-10.

That is a nice pro 12 string BMI model that you have.

Zane Beck (the BMI designer) used a special tuning/copedent on his personal 12 string guitars. I'm sure that I could find it for you in my library. Your guitar may have the Beck copedent installed. However, it would probably be better to set it up as an extended E-9 for you to learn on.

You might look up Zane King on the forum here, or on YouTube. He was a student of Zane Beck and grew up with the Beck 12 string tuning. He has done alright playing it:)

Bill

Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 7:44 am     Zane King

Funny you mention Zane King. He gave my mother piano lessons many moons ago. I live about 2 hours from Russellville in White County.

Josh Davis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 8:23 pm     ingo

I found the serial number, it's 0200