The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tonic pre-amp and Straight Ahead power amp--DEAL PENDING ***
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 1:42 pm    

Every time I think about selling this rig, I plug it in for one last test and it sounds so good that I change my mind. But it's time to let it go simply because I have too many toys, and I've decided I won't be building a rack system.

Sarno Tonic Tube Preamp with reverb, $475 shipped.
Jay Ganz 500 watt class D power amp, $175 shipped.
Buy them both and I'll throw in the carrying case.
Paypal accepted, friends and family to avoid fees, or add 3% to cover fees.

Tonic pre-amp has Vari-Z buffer loop (same as a Black Box), gain control, 3-way bright switch (bright, normal, dark), treble, mid, bass, color (sweepable mids), expand or classic switch, master level, built-in reverb, front-panel standby and power switches. Back panel has tuner out, line out, effects send and return, plus a Lo-Z balanced output.

Sarno's Tonic Tube Preamp was the precursor to the Revelation, with similar specs, the main difference being the Tonic does not support stereo effects. This unit uses two tubes, and was modified by Brad Sarno to take a 12ax7 tube in each slot.

It sounds great, no issues. One of my favorite ways to use this pre-amp was sitting on top of my Peavey 400, and patched into the 400's power-amp in.

The Jay Ganz Straight Ahead power amp also sounds great, 500 class D watts into a 4-ohm load, or around 350 watts into an 8-ohm load. Has two speaker jacks for running two 8-ohm speakers, or just one 4 or 8 ohm speaker. Also has a level control, power indicator light, and an internal "ready" light that goes from red to green when you power up.

The power amp is currently velcro-attached to a carpet patch on the pre-amp. If someone wants the pre-amp only, I can safely remove the carpet patch.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 2:50 pm    

Well that was fast! On hold for deal pending.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 7:02 pm    

The Sarno Tonic Preamp is a gem. I have had mine since they first came out and will never part with it. I have two Black Boxes also and they will be in my stable forever.👍

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 7:40 pm    

Brad Sarno builds great stuff. I may end up with seller's remorse over the Tonic, but I'm keeping my Black Box for sure!