The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sequence of Adjustments?
Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 11:46 am    

Lets say you take a steel guitar out of its case for the first time. You sit behind it, everything functions as you would expect, but the fine adjustments aren't dialed in. What is your sequence of such adjustments for a complete Pedal Steel setup? When do you adjust pedal travel, lever angles, split-tuning where equipped, etc?

I understand this may be a sort of an advanced level question, but is probably of great benefit to many folks on here with all the Sales and Trades, and decline of dedicated technicians. For this discussion, lets assume an all-pull changer and no significant Copedent changes or restoration is required. The guitar just needs to be setup, and lets have an open discussion of preferences and best practices.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 5:36 pm    

If it aint broke ....

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 6:39 pm    

thats kind of a loaded question. I would first visually inspect the guitar and make sure The nylons are not over tuned before I even started to tune open. Then take it string at a time to see if they respond to pedal and lever actions properly and are tuned correctly. Isolate and correct problems in this area and go from there.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 11:41 pm    

Mickey Adam's CD on adjusting and setting up a steel guitar is the best road map I have seen that covers what you want.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 1:24 pm    

Bud,

I understand your intent, and there is nothing wrong with my guitar at the moment. Setup is another aspect of playing that Im working on getting a better understanding of.

Greg,

In no way did I mean this as a loaded question. More as I'm looking to see how other players approach setting up their guitars effectively.

Bobby,

Thank you for the reasource, I will try to track a copy down or reach out to Mickey directly.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 3:04 pm    

Quote:
When do you adjust pedal travel, lever angles, split-tuning where equipped, etc?

I'm probably coming off as a smartass, but I'd say to not do anything unless you're fairly sure you know what you're doing. In over 50 years of playing, I've seen and played a lot of steels that were screwed up by well-meaning owners. As to a precise answer to your question, what you adjust first will depend on what's wrong with it in the first place. On some brands, changing pedal travel will affect the puller angles and length requirements for the pull rods. On others, changing the puller positions will change the pedal height. Also, changing the lever angle can affect how you're hitting the pedals. Everything affects something else, so it's all a carefully orchestrated ballet to get things near-perfect. The split tuning adjustment would likely be dead-last, though.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 2:11 am    

i'll take a stab at this; first i'd get the strings in tune, then tune the stops.

i'd play it for a bit, and i'm sure after ten minutes i'd want to set the pedal height so that i'm not catching any pedals accidentally.

i'd play for a bit more to get used to everything, and eventually the knee levers would probably bother me and i'd want to work on the angle of their dangle, and maybe even their travel.

after a day or two i'd probably look into the timing of the pulls a bit, but i never had a guitar that had many options in this regard.

at some point i'd investigate what the ideal string gauges might be for the guitar.

hope this helps.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 8:09 am    

I agree with Dave Campbell

Those are practical discoveries that have to take place
Might add, for me anyway, the immediate discovery of cabinet deflection and hysteresis and to mitigate those factors go a long way to the rest of the fine tuning.

Also, depends on the guitar itself and it’s features

For example, I approach these things differently with a guitar that has spilt tuners in the changer such as emmons legrande. Vs the approach I would take with say a mci or gfi. Then I think you would have to think differently considering an old sho bud. Msa or dekley would be something a bit different as well. Only slightly but just considering for instance multiple holes in bell cranks, vs slots in bell cranks, vs only minimal holes and eccentrics such as early legrande guitars. I think each of these things is a factor in my approach to setting up and adjusting.

The common things that are to be accomplished in my mind are having pulls and travel moving just enough to reach each specific goal.

Then work on ergonomic concerns.

Pedal steel is a highly personalized instrument and requires a highly personalized touch for everything to be absolutely optimal.

Everyone probably looks differently at this. So you must find what works best.

Or at least this has been my experience with multiple brands of guitars

Bill

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 8:20 am     Decline of techs?

I'm in CT. I can do the work, do it right, and its guaranteed. Just sayin...

Best,

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 12:14 am    

Benjamin,I notice that you are in Connecticut,in that case I would get in touch with John Widgren and bring your pedal steel to him,He's a good guy who also knows what he's doing...maybe bring him a Christmas gift if you time it right!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 4:44 am    

Though I appreciate the offers and recomendations for service, that is not the purpose of this thread. I would prefer to learn to work on this guitar myself. Old habits, and such. And formally there is nothing specificalylly wrong with how my guitar is currently playing.

I have been making some adjustments here and there based on replys so far, and they have been positive. Im simply looking for a more effiecent way to work through these details from the experiance of the Forum.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 5:04 am    

My checklist/sequence involves finding out what's the owner's complaint, seeing if it is clearly misadjusted by someone else, seeing if anything has slipped out of adjustment via loose screws etc, determining if it is in good adjustment but just not to the preference of the owner.
But the overlying idea is -- excuse the word but I do live 6 miles down the road from Woodstock -- holistic. Everything is connected to everything and every adjustment affects everything else. So there is no difference between changing a bellcrank hole or changing a lever stop or a lever start and the angle of the bellcrank... every change relates to every changeable point. Looking at it is how you determine what you want to adjust first and only experience guides you in knowing what you are looking at.
So I reject the idea that there might be a checklist sequence for attacking a pull train that is not up to par.
But since you are working on your steel, I believe that you will arrive at this same thinking. The more work you do, the sooner you'll get there.