The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who officially categorizes music genre?
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 10:54 am    

Is it country? Is it Pop? Soft rock?? etc. Who is in charge of making that call?
I watched parts of the CMA awards and that's what makes me curious. I just don't see how a lot of that material can fall under the banner of country. I'm not necessarily against it, some I like quite well but it's marketed under the wrong description. Take for example Kacey Musgraves. She's a clever writer and has a great voice. I like her and the 'Pageant Material' album was great but it could hardly be called country despite some very nice pedal steel work. And her latest album, 'Golden Hour' is even less country. I bought it but I just can't get into that one much at all. I don't have such kind things to say about some of the other performers who took the stage.
So who makes the call? The record company? Is the artist left to define what genre they are? Maybe there needs to a new genre to define this music which must not fit into any of the other genres. To my mind country music is country music. If your music doesn't fit it should be sold as what it is instead of appropriating an existing genre.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:19 am    

There has to be a manageable finite number of boxes or no system can function.
There is a box called "Classical" and another called "Jazz". Try asking the fans of those how much of the contents they actually like.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:36 am    

Billboard came up with categories, I believe. They came up with “rhythm and blues” and changed “country and western” to just country.

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:42 am    

I didn't hear any "Country Music" on the CMA show.

Bill

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:57 am    

GOOD QUESTION! Who are they anyway! The names of each style have also changed over the years... to reflect public opinion, prejudice and political correctness.

My dad loved "Hillbilly Music" which evolved into country/western or bluegrass. "race music" was Black music that eventually became Blues Jazz, Motown and unfortunately RAP.

I don't like it when people ask what kind of music I play... Most of the time I say all kinds.

Often one or two hit songs in a particular style will create an entirely new category, and for better or worse artists get pidgeon-holed in to one genre.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 10:40 pm    

This guy did it

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 6:46 am    

When a record is released, the artist or the artist’s record company submits the genre(s) that they want it classified in.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2019 9:20 am    

Thanks for the replies, they give me a better idea of the process. It is a process that is broken however. The country genre has become a repository for a bunch of music that doesn't fit in any of the other categories...or so it seems to me. Maybe it has more to do with what sort of clothes they wear than what comes out of the speakers?