The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The new Russler Steels
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 6:40 pm    

What happened to the NEW and up coming Russler guitar company?

Dwight

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 5:46 pm    

It would appear that they bit the Dust. I cannot get in touch with anyone. It is a shame. They could at least make a post on here what their status is. But I could be wrong. J.R.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 8:38 am    

Is that the one by Russ Hicks?
Erv

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 8:20 pm    

Randy stopped building them for some reason. They're great guitars. I'm playing my 3rd one and I love it. Russ doesn't build guitars. It is a shame that they're not being made.

Tony

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 4:00 am    

Tony Dingus wrote:
Randy stopped building them for some reason. They're great guitars. I'm playing my 3rd one and I love it. Russ doesn't build guitars. It is a shame that they're not being made.

Tony

I believe Russ did come out with a line of steel guitars. There were 2 different companies with the Russler/Rustler name. The Rustler steels were produced decades ago (70's or 80's). I believe that had an undercarriage similar to a ZB. The Russler steels had a modern undercarriage. Whether Russ built them, or was just affiliated with them, I don't know.

Www.russlersteelguitars.com

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 5:17 am     Russler steels

Oh, wow. These guitars seemed to be on the rise. Good sound. Thought it was strange that they dissapeared without a trace.

Dwight

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 8:14 am    

The guitar associated with Russ Hicks was a very fine guitar. I was at a steel show where they were on display and they didn't have to take a back seat for anyone. Very Happy
Erv

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 8:35 am    

Did I hear once that they were made from Performance guitar parts acquired when Jerry Brightman passed?

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 9:50 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Did I hear once that they were made from Performance guitar parts acquired when Jerry Brightman passed?

From what I was told, the plans were acquired from jerry before his passing, as they were already in production before he died. I believe they are no longer building guitars. John Billings knows more about it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 10:30 am    

More info:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=274152

See the 4th post.

Larry Ray Miller

Elizabethton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 5:21 am     Russler guitar.

I own the fourth one built. I got it used. It is a great guitar. I have played a lot of guitar brands. The Russler has the most sustain. The company is out of business. No one answers the phone, or email. I finally got it set up to suite me. I am satisfied, but I would have appreciated a little help from the builders. Larry

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 7:03 pm    

Well, At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth I will add a little info. I do not know how much Russ Hicks was involved meaning did he help fund the purchase of the Performance guitar parts, non built guitars etc. In the beginning you could contact a Randy Widerman in Nebraska and buy some parts. I know he had a day job and only did the work on the new Russler after hours. I do not know if Russ help him with building or not. They build some Beautiful guitars and Russ promoted them. But the early Russler guitar was a Performance guitar in every way. I am guessing when they ran out of end pieces and parts they closed up shop. I just wish that Randy or Russ would step up and tell us something. But they just went away. I had a Rose colored SD-10 Performance that was as sweet as they came. I now have a Black SD-10 that is just as sweet if not sweeter. They are an outstanding guitar. And the Russler's I have seen are the same way. Maybe some day they will show up. J.R.Rose

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 5:52 am    

I bought the red SD-10 from J R Rose and still have it. Great guitar! When I bought it Randy would answer the phone & respond to emails. He was actually quite helpful . Sold me the parts to add 2 pedals and move knee a knee lever. Since then he has just stopped responding. I have no idea why and perhaps life is just getting in the way for Randy at this point. Its an impressive guitar in general IMHO.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 6:56 pm    

Got this one some time ago. What a Beauty She is. Plays great and feels great and Sounds Great. I love her .
Great design and overall good engineering. I put a Wallace TT pickup in her and it matches very well.
This has got to be in the late 90's or early 2000.
Wish I knew. It is a shame they did not catch on. A very well designed guitar.J.R. Rose