The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Starting a regular"opry" or country music show
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 7:34 pm    

(If theres any suggestions for a different thread to post this in let me know)

(I wanted to ask you guys on the forum a question that might benefit other forum readers of this topic currently as well as maybe a later search by the forum members in regards to starting a opry show.)

Ive been playing steel guitar for some ten or so years and have wanted throughout the years ive been playing to start what you would call an opry style show and sort of lead the band with song selection not totally but some selection. The problem is the people i talk to dont know of a place to hold a music show.

My question is to you guys that have started a show or know of someone that has. What are some insights, things to know, things you have learned.

Things like what the buildings you held the show in used to be used for or if they still serve a purpose other than the music show. Did you have to have a bunch of people on board together to start it? Were their costs involved? To rent the building or other costs? Did you get help from the city? What got the ball rolling? Any things to consider or information that would help those interested in forming a show.

Thanks in advance! The forum is a good source for learning, gaining insight and troubleshooting things.
Keenan

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 3:29 am    

You should contact Rick Troyer from Hummingbird Music, also a forum member, he is involved with southern Ohio show one Saturday a month. He might be able to help out or put you in contact with someone that might be able to help!
Dennis

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 5:47 am    

You might be able to rent a Senior Center or Community Center building for an Opry type show. The centers usually have a sound system you could use.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 6:00 am    

another thought.

I have been working with a band for 4 and 1/2 years at a restaurant. They have been there for 8 years. We have a 2 hour show the first and 4th Thursday of each month. We set up and play in the side room of the restaurant, it holds maybe 100 with small dinner tables . We get anywhere between 75 and 100 each show. Hours are 6 to 8.

The restaurant loves it, they sell dinners, they pay us a modest amount and we get tips. We get dinner as well. We are not making a fortune but we are having a BIG TIME.

It may take awhile to build it up but you gotta start somewhere.

Our show has really turned into a bi monthly community thing, everyone knows each other and we are all friends.

We play mostly country, some rock, some 50's some Bluegrass and we have scheduled guests who may perform 6 to 8 songs during our show.

Maybe reach out to a few restaurants and see what they say. Maybe don't ask for a paycheck right away, work up to a paycheck if it successful.

For me this has become my most important gig, be it on Steel or guitar. I don't take anything for granted . We work off of a predetermined setlist each show which varies and changes.

we had thought about moving our show to a small local theater but we came to the conclusion that our audience is already set. Why ruin a good thing.

Give it a shot, see what happens !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 11:36 pm     Starting a regular

I live in an area that has about 5 regular shows a week. One Of them is Sage Brush Roundup that goes back to 1938. The band I am in plays Sage Brush 4 times a year.
The building and parking lot are very important.
CHECK WITH LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT if building will meet code for safe capacity.

1. Is the building handy cap friendly, Access and Bath Room? Where I played tonight had a bus load of patients from a local Nursing Home in the crowd tonight.

2. Is there large enough capacity of Rest Rooms for the crowd you expect.

3. Ease of Bands loading in and out equipment. Is there steps, sharp turns with narrow hall or doors. Will hand trucks be needed to get key boards, Amps and steel guitar to the stage. Do performers have their own parking area.

4. Is there a lot of glass or mirrors in the building, It will affect sound.

5. Is there proper heat or cooling in the building.

6. Is the building near railroad tracks or highway that will cause unwanted noise. During show time.

7. Does the building have a kitchen or facilities to cater a meal. Many people want a full meal available, Not just hot dogs and hamburgers.

8. What kind of seating is available, Soft comfortable cushioned chairs or folding metal chairs.

9. Is there enough parking area. I have ran studies on our local shows and they average 65 vehicles per 100 attendants. What is the arrangement for snow removal on the parking area?

10. Could you be required to have insurance on the property so if someone gets hurt.

11. Check the Electrical Entrance and Outlets in the stage area. Make sure there is proper voltage.
(Added by editing)

Part of my job when I retired was picking and approving locations for classes open to the public. The above list was similar to the class building requirements.

I hope this is not rain on your parade.

Last edited by Bobby D. Jones on 16 Nov 2019 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 7:45 am    

Bobby, that is an excellent checklist!

I'd like to add an item (as I'm sure others will as well). Check the electrical system. Are there enough outlets, with sufficient capacity, close enough to where they will be needed? You don't want to have 2 little dinky outlets, 75 feet away from the stage!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 9:08 pm    

Don You are right, Electrical power Supply and outlets in the stage area are very important.
I carry 3 12/3 wire extension chords in my vehicle for Nursing Homes and Private Parties.

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 10:38 am    

There is a perfect place for sale with stage, lighting, dance floor. seating, restaurant. Message me if truly interested.

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 9:04 am    

Hi Keenan,
We have a show in Louisiana that we play once per month, Grand Country Junction. Venue is important, and the person who puts this on gets sponsors for the show. The sponsors get ads in a brochure and radio spots depending on the level of sponsorship. I am the music director, and we have musicians that read charts. You will also need event insurance. I dont think its very expensive but depending on the venue its a good idea to have. We do Classic Country and have a full band. Here is video clip from our show last month. Let me know if I can help.

https://youtu.be/pSsMfXPJJI0

Danny

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 4:32 am    

Hey Keenan, didn't you come down to the Mississippi Steel guitar show 3 or 4 years ago? You might check with Bill Stafford or Harold Coakley. They put on the show at the local VFW in Gulfport.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 3:14 pm    

Love it Danny!!!!! Great picking there Danny! I also play in a classic country group. We do County Fairs and Festivals. We do a couple opera halls during the year. I like getting a chance to play indoors. Great acoustics. Best of all, no rain and hot, humid days.

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 5:50 pm    

Yeah i was there. It was a blast. Im enjoying hearing all of the replies and what yall have to say.