The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Heritage
Ronald Heinzel

Hollister, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 1:01 pm    

There’s a Peavey Heritage VTX series amp at GC locally. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this amp for steel. It’s a 2-12 tube amp. Priced at $250.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 4:41 pm    

I had a Peavey Heritage but used it for six string guitar, never tried it with pedal steel. It has a solid state preamp and four 6L6 power tubes. I think it was rated for 100 watts and had a switch in the back for 1/2 power. It has channel switching with a very nice spring Reverb. I believe it has 2 12 inch Scorpion speakers.Used it a lot in the 80’s and never had a problem. It was a very dependable amp.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 6:09 pm    

Ron, I have one and it's ok for pedal steel, better for 6 string guitar. Heavy amp for sure. I haven't had any problems with it. Mine has Scorpion speakers. I worked on one that was Black Widow equipped from the factory. Loud and channels can be combined if you have the foot switch. You definitely need the foot switch.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 7:50 pm    

Thats a fair deal for a powerful combo tube amp thats good for guitar and pedal steel. I like the Peavey amps with tube output/SS preamp and used one for many years and sounded good with it..

I do like the all tube Peavey amps better. I always like the sound of an amp with a tube front end better than a similar amp with tube output/SS preamp.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 5:07 am    

I use a Heritage VTX primarily for steel guitar going on nearly 15 years.

I consider the Heritage one of the finest Peavey or any builder ever made - it can be made to sound great with nearly any source, including piezo equipped acoustics to Tele's to jazz hollow body guitars. I rechipped the preamp with Burr Brown 2604s which gave it a more tubey vibe - 15 minute easy job - I understand the newer Burr Brown op amps are even better. Seems that replacing the reverb op amp made it squeal so had to go back to the original chip / op amp IC.

My first steel amp - a Vegas 400 also rechipped isn't even an acceptable amp by comparison (to my ears). It sits in storage.

The key to the Heritage with PSG is the speaker. The Scorpions will get you by for practise, but are maybe a 7/10 and will be found lacking. Some Heritages came with Black Widows which might be better for a stock steel amp than with the Scorpions. Heavier for a very heavy amp.

I put in an original Nashville 112 speaker circa 2005 and it was an amazing fit for both steel and electric guitar... it made my Mesa six string preamp sing. Fat toned, clear smooth top end not quite enough depth for C6 but close..

Peavey doesnt sell that exact speaker anymore. There are lots of options for 12" replacement these days.. pau attention to ohms.

$250 isnt a lot for an amp of this quality but replacement speakers can run up the total invsetment.

Keep in mind that this amp uses power tubes. Doesnt seem to eat them. Mesa Boogie branded 6L6s sound great but never felt a need to try anything else.

4 MATCHED tubes will set you back at least 125 if you aren't paying attention to what you are getting in ypur amp. Seems every music shop will refit with cheap JJs which may or may not sound good with the amp. Some power tubes don't respond as well in some circuits... all I comfirm is the Mesas work well.

.. make sure the amp holds together on the bass and arent overly middy to your ear.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 12:19 am    

IMHO, a solid-state preamp and a tube power amp is just plain bass-ackwards.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 8:45 am    

Steven Paris wrote:

Both Standel and Music Man made some that sounded pretty good.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 11:33 pm    

Steven Paris wrote:

Depends what the tonal objective is.

If you want a bit of dirt, crunch or extra sizzle - that would be from preamp tubes. I also have the long forgotten once famous "Legend Rock N Roll 50" hybrid setup this way and it crunches like a mid 70s Marshall superlead. Nice blues and rock amp for dirt guitar tones.

If you want ultra clean preamp, but with a bit of natural warmth and smoothness and compression - that would be power tubes.

Another aspect of power tube amops is the transformer between the output tubes and speakers which is a major difference compared to transistors direct coupled to speakers.

The Peavey is based on the Musicman from what I recall.. but with the paramid on channel 2 making it uniquely Peavey.