The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 tone issue
Tyler Cox

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 6:21 pm    

Have a new Nashville 112 I use with my new Mullen g2 and hilton volume pedal. had it for about a month and I’m having trouble getting the tone I want out of the amp. Thought about a black widow speaker for it. Also hear quilter steelair Amps are nice or might think About Telonics depending on what they run for a price. Any suggestions would be great on to stick with the 112 or upgrade.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 7:10 pm    

How does it sound without the Hilton?... Directly from Steel to amp.
Is it a Blue Marvel speaker?
I have a Hilton from maybe 10 years ago and the new Goodrich Omni and Telonics both sound better to my ear.

Tyler Cox

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 7:12 pm    

Yes still has the blue marvel speaker

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 2:27 am    

The 112's are great amps but they can be very MIDDY with the stock speaker. Its hit or miss, some guitars are not as Mid Range strong as others so it's not a one shoe fits all.

I doubt we can find a better amp than the 112 ( in its 80- watt category) but we can fudge the tone with a speaker swap.

I pulled the stock speaker and have a Fender Eminence Gold Label in mine, it changes the entire mid range profile. This speaker leans bright.

Yes, the Fender EMMI 12 is an 8 ohm speaker as opposed to the stock speaker being 4 ohm. I have noticed zero difference in gain over the last 2 years or so. I often use an extension speaker, (another 8 ohm Fender Emmi) across the stage so its back to 4 ohms total. I added an ext speaker jack to the lower rear panel and it is wired in parallel to the stock speaker.

Great amp, maybe not a great speaker !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 3:22 am    

The first thing is the EQ settings. Many unfamiliar with the Peavey "Paramid" do not set it right and then complain about the sound.

My settings, with the stock speaker, that I used for years (7 on the road) with a NV112:

Bass +9
Mid 800Hz and -2 to 3
Treble and Presence 0

The new models have soldered in chips so the chip mod is not an option (for most). The chip mod, on older socketed chips, cleans up the amp.

I now have a used NV112 that came with a Telonics TSNEO-12 speaker. It knocks some off the weight and cleans up the sound nicely. I compared the Travis Toy 12 and the Telonics and kept the Telonics and sold the TT12. They are very similar but the Telonics was slightly better to my ears. The NV112 with the Telonics is now my gigging amp.

I've tried Quilter's and have given up on them. Too many highs and mids. I've tried a Steelaire and the new Toneblock 202 amp with the Blockdock 12HD speaker (stock speaker and the Telonics). The Steelaire was sold and the TB202/Blockdock 12HD were sent back for refunds. The Quilter's were great with my Telecaster but I couldn't make them work for me and steel.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:49 am    

On my 112 I have a Telonics speaker too.

I adjusted as follows at the start, then tweak it per room.

Mid 11 O'clock
Bass 1 o'clock to 4 O'clock
Presence 1 o'clock
Highs 2 o'clock
Shift 12 O'clock

A good start. One of the best amps
For the money. A lot of bang for the buck.

Here is a sample of the 112 on a very popular tune.

click me

GOOD STUFF

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 7:18 am    

It might be not enough pressure with the bar on the strings, or not enough pick attack.
Awhile back, I had terrible shoulder-back problems. (Still do actually) Anyway, in "trying" to play steel, I was getting weak tone. Thought it was bad tubes, etc. Nope. It was ME. Not Putting enough meat into my playing.
Try this-
Turn your amp off.
Take your foot OFF the volume pedal.
Play for a few minutes with NO amp.
Get the strings to "sound", just with your hands, pressure on the bar, good pick attack. Do it for a few minutes.
Now turn your amp back on and see if technique is part of your problem.
Hope that helps.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 7:38 am    

What don't you like?

What are your current settings?

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 10:08 am    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
It might be not enough pressure with the bar on the strings, or not enough pick attack.
Awhile back, I had terrible shoulder-back problems. (Still do actually) Anyway, in "trying" to play steel, I was getting weak tone. Thought it was bad tubes, etc. Nope. It was ME. Not Putting enough meat into my playing.
Try this-
Turn your amp off.
Take your foot OFF the volume pedal.
Play for a few minutes with NO amp.
Get the strings to "sound", just with your hands, pressure on the bar, good pick attack. Do it for a few minutes.
Now turn your amp back on and see if technique is part of your problem.
Hope that helps.

Hi Bud
I see you’re from New Jersey. I’m from Englishtown New Jersey, but have been living and picking in Nashville for about 45 years. I’ve lost track of a lot of the New Jersey players I knew. Jack Stanton and I used to hang out together and in our late teens to early 20s Sharing licks and pick them together. Good times back then.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 12:04 pm    

try these setting ;

Low +9
Mid -6
Shift at 300
High and Presence -3
reverb 2

I use these and have a marvelous sound with the DD3.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:58 am     Nv112

I have a NV112 and like others, I have tried different speakers. I now use the EPS 12-c, mainly to lighten the load. I tried the Telonics and never got it dialed in. Then, at one of SE Texas Steel Guitar jams, I talked with Billy Phelps and he told me that he and the late John Fabian worked with Peavey engineers to design the Eminence Blue Marvel speaker. They went through about 4 proto types of various cone design and magnets, then came up with the present speaker.
The EPS 12-c is a 4 ohm and it works well for my limited use, but tone wise, the Blue Marvel is just as good. BTW, Buck Reid told me he uses the NV112 with minimal effects.

Last edited by Jim Saunders on 17 Nov 2019 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 8:15 am    

While I have 4 great amps (Telonics Combo 112, Peavey Session 115, Original Nashville 112 and new Nashville 112),
the Nashville 112 (either old or new) is my go to amp.

I tried all the mods, speaker changes and stuff, but always came back to the way Peavey designed the amp in the first place (no modifications).

I play with my steel, a volume pedal (any brand) and my amp w/ internal reverb. No outboard effects.

I am told over and over, "man you have the best tone out there". Well I don't know about that, but I do know that the NV112 is a great amp, capable of handling most any gig and tone is definitely not an issue.

Here are some settings you might try.

Always here to help and close as an email.
Bill

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Kenneth Mennen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 10:34 am    

IMO, amp settings are not really suggest-able since to me, it really depends on the pickup, both type and whether you have a tone control circuit. My first steel was a Fender 800, which had a single coil plus tone circuit, and it sounded beautiful. Having no knee levers however was a show-stopper, so I sold it and bought a Williams, which does not have a tone circuit. In short, I did not like any of the three pickup types I tried in my Williams anywhere near as much as the Fender. Wasn't even close. So, after a little digging and some logic, I decided to try a Sarno Freeloader since to me it seemed strange not to have a tone control. O-M-G, what a difference. I seriously would never be without one, and it might be worth a try for you. For reference, I have both a Nashville 112 and a Milkman half and Half...

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 10:42 am    

What does the Sarno Freeloader single tone control knob do differently than the tone knob on the Sarno Black Box?
Or are they similar, with the exception that the black box is a tube buffer?

Kenneth Mennen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 11:50 am    

I can't speak too much about the differences between the black box and the freeloader, but my logic was this - Any circuit interface is technically a "load", however depending on the type of circuit, there may not be enough "loading" to affect the raw signal from the pickup. This would especially be the case for when the guitar is plugged straight into a high input impedance device like an active volume. Simply put, I think you can make a general statement that the higher the input impedance, the less it will load the pickup in the frequency ranges we can hear (care about). So, a normal tone circuit is in between the pickup and volume pedal/amp/whatever you plug the guitar into, that loads, (shapes) the sound of the output of the pickup before being amplified. My Williams doesn't have one so my options for "loading" were to either make a tone circuit, use a passive volume pedal, or use a freeloader. I chose the latter. I in the end also use a Goodrich passive pedal with my freeloader, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 5:48 pm    

I agree that amp settings will vary from player to player. As Mike Scaggs aptly states, “everything affects everything “. I do find it interesting to see what others are using and try them. I’ve hit on a couple of things I like from the samples given in this post. I’ll see tomorrow night if I still like them at stage volume.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 5:43 am    

Those speakers need to be broken in and pushed a little to loosen them up. Plug in a music player and let it play loud for 6-8 hours while you are gone.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 4:03 pm     Nashville 112

Tyler the first I would do is get rid of that Hilton vp I had a friend bought a brand new one wanted me to try it out so just unplugged mine and plug his in it was the worst sound I ever heard I asked him what was wrong he was in disbelief I said my friend you can have your pedal back I will stick with my Goodrich L120